PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

What position SHOULD the Pats draft first?

THE HUB FOR PATRIOTS FANS SINCE 2000

MORE PINNED POSTS:
Replies:
Very sad news: RIP Joker
Replies:
OT: Bad news - "it" is back...
Replies:
2023/2024 Patriots Roster Transaction Thread
Replies:
Asking for your support

What position would you draft first?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm in agreement with most fans here. I think the Pats can improve or sustain their level of play by going in 1 of 3 directions with the first pick.

#1 - DE - I'd love to see a pass rush OLB / DE (voted DE). I lean to DE over OLB because I'm somewhat satisfied with the play and development of Cunningham, Ninkovich, and Fletcher. With Mayo and Spikes in the middle, I feel really good about the inside LB position.

Thus, Even though I'm excited to see what Deadrick becomes, I don't think he'll become the true pressure DE that could really disrupt defenses. We get decent play at times from TBC, but inconsistent play as well. If we add a stud, we'll have depth here and it won't be a gapping hole 2 years from now. Plus, getting pressure off the DE position has been a major problem since Willy and Seymour left. A stud here would allow Wilfork to go back into NT full time, and we would have good depth with the 2 Warren's (assuming Ty is back) and Deadrick behind / splitting with a blue chip DE draft pick.

#2 - OLB - If you can't get your pass rusher off of the DE position, try a hybrid guy from the OLB spot that can come up and play in the 3 - 4. There are several out there that you have all mentioned. I won't repeat.

#3 - OG or OT - I think we need at least 1 guy in the first 4 picks. Mankins, Neal, Light, contracts, age and injury issues that could be issues in the near future. It's been really nice seeing them run behind Volmer / Gronk / Alge all year. I have to admit, I keep wondering when Light will stop producing at a high level, but he doesn't. Thankfully, Volmer is not a bad backup plan, I would really love to see Nate Solder fall to the second round. Anyway, get the best offensive lineman. We'll know what that will be before the draft, as BB will have signed and extended Mankins, Light etc...

***Bill Belickick always limits his questions going into a draft by way of extentions, FA signings or trades that allow him the utmost flexibility in the draft.*** Expect that to happen once again.

#4 - It's a really deep WR class. I'd like to see them pick up a weapon with some size. Sure, Price / Tate etc... but there may be some steals at WR in the 3 - 5th rounds. Consider this a pick which give us another athlete & depth if Branch has injuries. Sometimes you have to play the draft & value and not focus so much on need. These are the rounds I'd expect them to make a play on a big WR that can compliment them in the Red Zone.

In the first 6 picks, I'd like to see them come out with:
DE, OLB, OG, OT, WR, RB (compliment BJGE and Danny with a more dynamic back)

I know some people don't like our secondary, but I think most defensive short-comings are a result of a weak pass rush at the OLB / DE positions. Personally, I like McCourty, Arrington, Bodden, Butler and our safety crew if we get a bit more pressure.

dave

Last edited:
It's not that empty. Chung is signed through 2012, and Brown is signed through 2013.

In terms of solid coverage safeties, I think it might be getting a bit thin. Sanders ans Meriweather, at this point, are the only two "known quantities" in terms of consistently good coverage and they're both free agents at the end of next season.

Height may be starting to become a factor for deep coverage safeties with seemingly so many more tall WRs theses days. So, Kenny Tate is certainly worth a look, though there may be a few viable alternatives, too.

if the players at each position were all graded the same, id go with a DE.

but, im up for taking the best available player if there is a significant gap between he and the next, even if hes not a position i necessary covet

id like to obtain an OL, DE, OLB, S in the first 2 rounds. dont care what order.
How about:
1-15 J.J. Watt DE34 Wisconsin
1-32 Ryan Kerrigan OLB34 Purdue
2-33 Nate Solder T Colorado
2-64 Orlando Franklin G Miami
3-78 Ryan Williams RB Virginia Tech
3-96 Lawrence Guy DE34 Arizona State
4-128 Mario Fannin FB Auburn

In all fairness we do have one coming next year, in Mr Warren the 1st.

Well, at least we HOPE so. Nothing guaranteed about him coming back from his injury and playing as well as he did before it.

Yessir. Brother Makoute did well to mention that Warren the 1st IS that guy, but it would be very wise of us, I think, to give him 2011 to work back into things, rather than expect him to excel as a Starter all year long, based on the history of guys coming back from major injuries.

Worst case you get a great ST'er, best case you get Demarcus Ware.

Other than that? Trade down for linemen, a two-down homerun back, a backup Mike, and a safety.

Err no. The worst case is you get Vernon Gholston. :eek:
I'd go for an athletic, space-eating, pocket-crushing DE if available at our Raiders pick, and I think since we pick in the teens, there is a great chance that happens. In either case I wouldn't force the issue if the player isn't there. You can't just 'decide' you're gonna draft DE and when there's nobody worth it 'reach' for a guy there just cos he plays the position.

At that point you trade down or look to see if there is a BPA that would fill another need. That's how we got McCourty. With Bodden there wasn't necessarily a need, but he was a really good player and worth the pick at a position that could help but wasn't a 'need' at the time. Of course Bodden went down, McCourty started from day 1, and the rest is history. But you usually don't get 'seeing eye' picks like that very often.

Last edited:
The main problem I see with that is then that you have to remove a DB who's already on the roster to make room, and I'm not sure how much the net gain there would be as a result.

Agreed, I'm a big one for the "net gain" philosophy. But the empty cupboard at safety for 2012 makes this tempting for me.

I agree, plus with all the calls made by the safeties, history has proven it takes a year before rookie safeties have a good grasp of the system and can contribute on the field.

Ah, but we have James Sanders around to make for an exceptionally seamless transition. :cool:

Tebucky Jones hauled in the equivalent of a 3rd, a 5th, and a 7th.

I like Stomper, but after 4 years, he's still as dangerous to us as to The Enemy.

I say we SELL HIGH: Move the 2x Pro Bowler to the highest bidder, draft Tyler Sash or Kenny Tate, and get the lad trained.

Ah, but we have James Sanders around to make for an exceptionally seamless transition. :cool:

I like Stomper, but after 4 years, he's still as dangerous to us as to The Enemy.

I say we SELL HIGH: Move the 2x Pro Bowler to the highest bidder, draft Tyler Sash or Kenny Tate, and get the lad trained.

No love for Mark Barron, who already has a few years of experience in our defense?

No love for Mark Barron, who already has a few years of experience in our defense?

LOTS of Love for Brother Mark Barron...but he's a Strong Safety. Are you proposing we draft him with a mind towards switching him? If so, do you think his injury will affect his Draft Stock?

I said "other", offensive tackle. I think mid-first round is a sweet spot for the top tackles in this draft. I'm not sure what the plan is after Light.

There's no thread up on tackles, but what's the early feel about this year's crop? Is Vollmer a RT going forward or LT? Opine, cousins, opine!

Trade both first-rounders to move up and nap Alabama's disruptive defensive lineman Marcell Dareus.

He's a smaller, faster, quicker Vince Wolfork. Not much smaller but much quicker. Amazing athlete for his size who obviously is a football player with a nasty attitude. I'd love him on our team.

Trade both first-rounders to move up and nap Alabama's disruptive defensive lineman Marcell Dareus.

He's a smaller, faster, quicker Vince Wolfork. Not much smaller but much quicker. Amazing athlete for his size who obviously is a football player with a nasty attitude. I'd love him on our team.

I take it you know first hand:D, there are a few Bama players I have my eye on for this year and next (Dre Kirkpatrick, Dareus, Ingram, Jones etc)

Last edited:

Which is what is known as a three technique. It's what he is and always has been. Great player, poor fit.

Which is what is known as a three technique. It's what he is and always has been. Great player, poor fit.

Ladies and gentlemen, we have bingo.

Dareus, despite playing in our scheme in College, and being an outstanding player, is not a fit for the Pats 3-4 two gap. He'd probably be a nice sub package nickel rusher - but you don't draft those in the first round.

I love him, but I will be shocked if we Draft him. Shocked I tells ya.

If it's not Fairley, Watt or Heyward in the first, go for Wilkerson in the second.

If you like brandon deadrick even a little you should love dareus. I dont see why people say he isnt a fit. After we drafted deadrick i went over to secdigitalnetwork and watched a few bama games. To my surprise it wasnt #95(deadrick) making plays, but none other than the other de #57(dareus) making play after play. Dareus seemed more disruptive than cody most of the time. So if deadrick can play for us i am soooo certain that dareus can.

But I really feel that this is the draft to focus more the offense than defense. BB has shown that he can work with highly drafted players all the way to udfas on the defensive side, and with this being a defensive star studded draft we can actually swoop up the offensive beasts while the rest of the league is duking it out for quinn, clayborne, heyward,etc.

If you like brandon deadrick even a little you should love dareus. I dont see why people say he isnt a fit. After we drafted deadrick i went over to secdigitalnetwork and watched a few bama games. To my surprise it wasnt #95(deadrick) making plays, but none other than the other de #57(dareus) making play after play. Dareus seemed more disruptive than cody most of the time. So if deadrick can play for us i am soooo certain that dareus can.

But I really feel that this is the draft to focus more the offense than defense. BB has shown that he can work with highly drafted players all the way to udfas on the defensive side, and with this being a defensive star studded draft we can actually swoop up the offensive beasts while the rest of the league is duking it out for quinn, clayborne, heyward,etc.
I've highlighted the key word above. The folks who view Dareus as a 3-tech and poor fit in NE's two gap scheme see him penetrating like a 3-tech and not necessarily stacking up OL the way NE generally plays along the front line. Clearly he would be a great fit in a one gap defense. I think he could do both, but at the moment he projects higher in round one then Oakland's pick, so I'm not putting much effort into pining for him.

What has draft history shown us? Nobody's worth two 1st round picks. You take twice the risk of losing out. If your guy turns out to be a bust you just lost a chance at two other good players. Anyways draft position is very malleable at this point in the process. Guys can move up, drop down, or even fall out of the first round easily right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News