PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

What position SHOULD the Pats draft first?

THE HUB FOR PATRIOTS FANS SINCE 2000

MORE PINNED POSTS:
Replies:
Very sad news: RIP Joker
Replies:
OT: Bad news - "it" is back...
Replies:
2023/2024 Patriots Roster Transaction Thread
Replies:
Asking for your support

What position would you draft first?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
NFLDraftScout estimates him at a 4.98 40. Safe to say he'd have to play DE with that kind of speed. He's also 27 years old.
Granted, but I don't worry about speed in the trenches unless it's the 10 yd split. Someone capable of playing some of the roles Willie played is in the trenches, Willie rarely dropped in coverage and then it was a shallow zone where he used his length to undercut short and intermediate routes.

Age is what it is and may be a factor in NFLDS projecting him as a 6/7 round pick, which makes him an inexpensive experiment, but he's in the NCAA top 20 for TFL and with 8 PD he's a "playah!" I've watched him playing everywhere on the DL and several things stood out during the season:
-- he doesn't take plays off.
-- he influences the QB's throw with his length.
-- he has very quick hands (8 PD!).
-- he finds the ball quickly in trash.
-- he makes the other guys around him better.

Maybe he's too much project for NE and will wind up playing DE for Oakland like Wisconsin's Matt Shaugnessy who was another long, slow DE nobody wanted, who is playing very well for Oakland. I just look at Eric Moore signed out of the UFL 2/3rds of the way through the season and immediately having an impact for NE, I think Bair is that kind of player.

The things that make JJ Watt so impressive on the collegiate level--his superb height (leverage) and insane, non-stop motor--will count for less at the next level.

It's probably unfair, but I wouldn't take him in first 2/3 of the first round. I think he might go early in the second round, where he belongs. If he goes earlier, my thinking is he's this year's Mike Mamula.

Hey I have a question, what do you guys think of having a mobile quarterback? Seeing that this is the new Era that the NFL is heading towards to.Someone like Michael Vick, Joe Webb, Tim Tebow? Do you think a mobile quarterback will fit into our system, you have to remember, BB and TB are not going to be here forever.

I don't see them drafting one now, especially not unless it is a late round flyer on someone for the purposes of depth. Brady has said he wants to play another five years or so, if I remember correctly. With him playing at the level he is playing at, I don't see them planning for his replacement for at least a couple years. Hoyer does o.k. as a back-up, and in case of a major injury might be a gap-filler ala Cassell who turns into a starter somewhere.

The Pats absolutely have to go with a DE. BUT you never know how the board is going to fall, let's ASSume that the Pats are picking at #15. IF they are still on the board, I would make the follwoing selections, in this order:

(dream only schenarios)
1. A.J. Green; highly unlikely he would still be on the board, but if he is, he is an absolute game change tall, fast, tough, and great hands, Moss minus the age and attitude, just too good to pass up.

2. Robert Quinn; another highly unlikely to still be on the board, but could you imagine what BB would do with this kids skill set?

3. Nick Fairly- big, fast, and just plain old mean and nasty! Everything you want in a defensive lineman!

Likely to be around at #15:

4. Allen Bailey- another great atheltic DL, Big Vince could take him under his wing (another guy from the U).

5. Ryan Kerrigan- good height, and great motor, plus smarts

6. Marcell Dareus- not the height that you want, but the Saban system connection can not be ignored.

I'm taking Bailey off my draft board, at least for the first round. Maybe it is just me, or the entire Miami team, but I was watching them get thier collective arses kicked by Notre Dame and Bailey looked terrible! Did anyone else think that Bailey looked like he was playing sandlot football and counting 1-Mississippi, 2-Mississippi, 3-Mississippi before he decided to get out of his stance at the snap? If he can't get off the ball, he can't play for BB. Maybe it was the entire team being disinterested, but I thought he looked awfully slow (especially getting off the ball).

The highest graded lineman (OL or DL), unless the highest graded overall player is significantly better than the highest graded lineman.

The Pats absolutely have to go with a DE. BUT you never know how the board is going to fall, let's ASSume that the Pats are picking at #15. IF they are still on the board, I would make the follwoing selections, in this order:

(dream only schenarios)
1. A.J. Green; highly unlikely he would still be on the board, but if he is, he is an absolute game change tall, fast, tough, and great hands, Moss minus the age and attitude, just too good to pass up.

2. Robert Quinn; another highly unlikely to still be on the board, but could you imagine what BB would do with this kids skill set?

3. Nick Fairly- big, fast, and just plain old mean and nasty! Everything you want in a defensive lineman!

Likely to be around at #15:

4. Allen Bailey- another great atheltic DL, Big Vince could take him under his wing (another guy from the U).

5. Ryan Kerrigan- good height, and great motor, plus smarts

6. Marcell Dareus- not the height that you want, but the Saban system connection can not be ignored.

Good analysis.

I think that we first need to define the role of the right end in this defense. Primarily, he will be playing head-up on the left tackle. He is responsible for the b and c gaps in the run game. In controlling these gaps, he must have the length to incline press the tackle, deny his drive, and eliminate the outside angle on flow-to run plays. He must be able to control the breastplate of the tackle, and deny the tackle access to his. This is an arm length thing. He must have the lateral agility to not get "hooked" by a blocker. He must have the burst to drive a blocker into the cutback lane on flow away situations. In the passing game he must have plus rush. What that means is while he is primarily a run defender, he is capable of generating enough burst or hand technique to beat a blocker. He will be going up against both guards and tackles, depending upon protection and blitzing. Against most tackles, length is of primary concern. Further, the head up on tackle alignment is in the middle of a lot of throwing lanes. Basically, anything aimed at the hashes out is going to pass through this window. Here is where length is critical as the rush of the 34 primarily comes from the backers. Holy crap what a play by McCourty. Sorry. As those backers vacate zones, receivers will fill in. The Ends will be in a situation where they need to get their hands in the throwing lanes as these hot reads tend to be frozen ropes.

When I look at Dareus, length is my primary issue. Length is such a critical component of what is required that if a guy isn't at least 6'4 with killer wingspan I kind of write him off. I think he is stout enough to 2-gap, but I think that anytime you evaluate a prospect you try to identify what role will maximize their skillset. He is at his best when penetrating and engaging the outside shoulder of the guard. Hell, I think he has enough burst to even play that 4i alignment. So I think that he will be at his best playing as a three technique in a 43 defense.

I think that Watt has the frame with plus athleticism. I don't think that he is an ideal fit for owning the left tackle and doubleteams. That said, considering how prevalent the screen/spread/slot hitch schemes are during run situations I think that his ability to move almost like a linebacker laterally will enable him to be a unique weapon at that right end position.

How do you think Wilfork has done when he's played DE?

I'm in agreement with most fans here. I think the Pats can improve or sustain their level of play by going in 1 of 3 directions with the first pick.

#1 - DE - I'd love to see a pass rush OLB / DE (voted DE). I lean to DE over OLB because I'm somewhat satisfied with the play and development of Cunningham, Ninkovich, and Fletcher. With Mayo and Spikes in the middle, I feel really good about the inside LB position.

Thus, Even though I'm excited to see what Deadrick becomes, I don't think he'll become the true pressure DE that could really disrupt defenses. We get decent play at times from TBC, but inconsistent play as well. If we add a stud, we'll have depth here and it won't be a gapping hole 2 years from now. Plus, getting pressure off the DE position has been a major problem since Willy and Seymour left. A stud here would allow Wilfork to go back into NT full time, and we would have good depth with the 2 Warren's (assuming Ty is back) and Deadrick behind / splitting with a blue chip DE draft pick.

#2 - OLB - If you can't get your pass rusher off of the DE position, try a hybrid guy from the OLB spot that can come up and play in the 3 - 4. There are several out there that you have all mentioned. I won't repeat.

#3 - OG or OT - I think we need at least 1 guy in the first 4 picks. Mankins, Neal, Light, contracts, age and injury issues that could be issues in the near future. It's been really nice seeing them run behind Volmer / Gronk / Alge all year. I have to admit, I keep wondering when Light will stop producing at a high level, but he doesn't. Thankfully, Volmer is not a bad backup plan, I would really love to see Nate Solder fall to the second round. Anyway, get the best offensive lineman. We'll know what that will be before the draft, as BB will have signed and extended Mankins, Light etc...

***Bill Belickick always limits his questions going into a draft by way of extentions, FA signings or trades that allow him the utmost flexibility in the draft.*** Expect that to happen once again.

#4 - It's a really deep WR class. I'd like to see them pick up a weapon with some size. Sure, Price / Tate etc... but there may be some steals at WR in the 3 - 5th rounds. Consider this a pick which give us another athlete & depth if Branch has injuries. Sometimes you have to play the draft & value and not focus so much on need. These are the rounds I'd expect them to make a play on a big WR that can compliment them in the Red Zone.

In the first 6 picks, I'd like to see them come out with:
DE, OLB, OG, OT, WR, RB (compliment BJGE and Danny with a more dynamic back)

I know some people don't like our secondary, but I think most defensive short-comings are a result of a weak pass rush at the OLB / DE positions. Personally, I like McCourty, Arrington, Bodden, Butler and our safety crew if we get a bit more pressure.

dave

A lot of very good stuff here.

The only point I would question is the "pass rush DE". From what I see, their scheme doesn't lend itself to a DE being a pass rush type.

Am I wrong here?

How do you think Wilfork has done when he's played DE?

Good but he does not have the height and arms length to play this position naturally. What you gain in run defence due to his size and atheletic ability you lose in pass rush. seymour was taller and longer in arms to move tackles and fast enough to generate pass rush.Vince is very stout against run but cannot be effective in rushing the passer.

I say a DE tall and big with speed. Most lower draft picks loss on speed or size. IN top 17 you get a chance to get not only size but speed too.

Good but he does not have the height and arms length to play this position naturally. What you gain in run defence due to his size and atheletic ability you lose in pass rush. seymour was taller and longer in arms to move tackles and fast enough to generate pass rush.Vince is very stout against run but cannot be effective in rushing the passer.

I say a DE tall and big with speed. Most lower draft picks loss on speed or size. IN top 17 you get a chance to get not only size but speed too.
Wilfork's first sack Sunday came from RDE when he broke the ankles of the LG with a dance move -- 3-4 DEs tend to be blocked by the Guards more often than not due to the Tackles being needed for those pesky OLBs. With Love getting better at NT, I won't be surprised to see Vince playing DE more often going forward.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes