PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

What is Bob Kraft suggesting here?

Status
Not open for further replies.
richpats said:
EDIT: Before I get a bunch of "no way's" and "impossible's", 2 words for you: Lawyer Milloy.

As others have mentioned, that was a totally different situation.

The Pats did not have the cap room to keep Milloy at his scheduled compensation. They needed the renegotiation to get under the cap. Keeping Milloy would have meant drastic cuts elsewhere on the roster.

That is hardly the case with Branch. His cap number is peanuts. The Pats are way under the cap. There's no incentive whatsover to release him.

hwc said:
As others have mentioned, that was a totally different situation.

The Pats did not have the cap room to keep Milloy at his scheduled compensation. They needed the renegotiation to get under the cap. Keeping Milloy would have meant drastic cuts elsewhere on the roster.

That is hardly the case with Branch. His cap number is peanuts. The Pats are way under the cap. There's no incentive whatsover to release him.

Different situation, yes, but nothing the Pats do surprises me anymore. If somehow they see it in their best interest to cut him, they will.

As I mentioned, an incentive to cut him would be to prevent a holdout (and his eventual week 10 return) from tearing the team apart.

kraft talks like a ceo

Bella*chick said:
I just don't read anything positive or negative in that statement. It seems like Kraft is just trying not to say very much about the situation while discussing the situation and it's kind of a hard thing to do.
I will say I have never in my life been so anxious for a Friday, however. Is there a time deadline? Like 1:00, or 5:00 or end of business or something? What IS end of business for a day in the NFL anyway?

as i recall, BB/SP could place him on a type of "retired" liist, which would prohibit him from playing for anyone else but patriots for the entire 2006 season.
i heard it mentioned when terrell owens was acting the fool with the iggles.
it's a drastic move tho, kind of a bridge-burner, intended to screw the player. if Bb/SP did that, it would show them as mean and vindictive.
we'll see.
like you, i really want to see the twig in a patriots jersey this year. can't really see how it could happen now.

To continue the speculation, Friday may also be the day on which the Pats start fining Deion to the maximum extent permitted under the term sheet for the new CBA. To date, we have no idea what their plans are in this regard. It would certainly turn up the heat -- and move this to the next stage, which no one wants, including (I hope) Deion.

richpats said:
Different situation, yes, but nothing the Pats do surprises me anymore. If somehow they see it in their best interest to cut him, they will.

As I mentioned, an incentive to cut him would be to prevent a holdout (and his eventual week 10 return) from tearing the team apart.
I don't see this team being "torn apart" right now, do you..? Were they "torn apart" when Terri Glenn did her little shenanigans in 2001...? No. They were professionals that focused on winning games and let that other stuff take care of itself.

You people underestimate the coaching staff and the players if you think this issue is going to "tear them apart".

Last edited:
richpats said:
With the threat of a holdout lasting into the regular season, the Pats have to resolve the situation in some fashion, and if they can't trade him, they cut him. Branch becomes a FA on 9/1 and is free to sign with any team HOWEVER since no team had committed to his original asking price and teams are less likely to throw significant money at a player a week before the season starts, the Pats actually are in a favorable position to re-sign Branch AFTER he gets cut (weird I know).

I disagree. I think plenty of teams would pony up a higher contract offer than the Patriots.

richpats said:
What he's implying is that the Pats will not let Branch continue his holdout into the regular season, and his fate will certainly be known on FRIDAY.

Of course this option would be a last-resort, but could the Pats possibly CUT Branch on Friday? I think they would rather do that than let his holdout cast a shadow over their season, and if he decided to come back Week 10 that would shake up the locker room (not in a good way either).

EDIT: Before I get a bunch of "no way's" and "impossible's", 2 words for you: Lawyer Milloy.

The Milloy thing was totally different.

The pats HAD to redo his contract because he was coming up on a roster bonus that we couldn't afford to pay under the CAP. Negotiations to redo the contract were going well leading up to the deadline when ALL OF A SUDDEN, Milloy starts playing hardball.

Some other team had gotten his ear and secretly worked out a BETTER deal with him. All he had to do was play hardball with the Pats and force them to cut him since they could not pay him the bonus and stay under the cap.

We will not cut Branch... we may trade him for adequate compensation, but we will not let him go this year for nothing. BB would sooner put him on the reserve/did not report list or whatever the crap it is and make him ride the pine while accumulating fines than to get nothing for him.

QuiGon said:
I don't see this team being "torn apart" right now, do you..? Were they "torn apart" when Terri Glenn did her little shenanigans in 2001...? No. They were professionals that focused on winning games and let that other stuff take care of itself.

You people underestimate the coaching staff and the players if you think this issue is going to "tear them apart".

They didn't cut Terry Glenn under worse conditions. They benched his sorry A S S ... they didn't cut him so he could go sign a huge contract with another team. They ended up getting compensation from GB in a trade the following year.

THE PATS WILL NOT CUT BRANCH THIS YEAR. PERIOD.

Last edited:
Just to add my two cents...I read this as Branch and the Patriots having a verbal agreement that goes this way--"If I can't get the money I want, I'll sign for what you've offered," and "If you sign for what we've offered by Sept. 2, we won't fine you."

I think the chances are in the high 80s% that Branch will be back and practicing by Monday and that the chances are 100% that everyone will be relieved, even Branch.

The Gr8est said:
http://patriots.bostonherald.com/patriots/view.bg?articleid=155110

'Speaking at the team’s Kickoff Gala, Kraft was asked if he still felt optimistic Branch would open the season in a Patriots uniform.

“Today’s Tuesday,” Kraft said. “We’ll know the answer to that within three days. Like all our fans, I appreciate that Deion’s very special. But we have to let things work their way out and we’ll see what happens come Friday.”

Kraft was then asked for clarification. Couldn’t Friday’s deadline come and go with Branch’s situation unresolved?

“What you have to do is figure out what resolution and optimism mean to you,” Kraft said. “All of us know what we’d prefer to see happen. We’ll wait and see what happens.” '

Does anyone else read between the lines and see this as almost a threat to Branch? If Branch doesn't change his mind, (or agent), and sign with the Pats, what sort of resolution could BK be hinting at?

difficult probably impossible to understand and - or to read between the lines. surely it does not sound very good. let's see friday...
personally i start to be a little be 'tired' about this story...

Last edited:
richpats said:
With the threat of a holdout lasting into the regular season, the Pats have to resolve the situation in some fashion, and if they can't trade him, they cut him. Branch becomes a FA on 9/1 and is free to sign with any team HOWEVER since no team had committed to his original asking price and teams are less likely to throw significant money at a player a week before the season starts, the Pats actually are in a favorable position to re-sign Branch AFTER he gets cut (weird I know).

Cutting Branch would still give the Pats some hope of signing him long-term, ....

I appreciate your analytical adroitness in holding so many factors in mind at once.

But would you please expand on this, richpats.
Don't see why or how cutting improves chances of a long-term deal ... with the Pats.

What's he suggesting? I think he's suggesting that "We'll wait and see what happens," nothing more and nothing less

flutie2phelan said:
I appreciate your analytical adroitness in holding so many factors in mind at once.

But would you please expand on this, richpats.
Don't see why or how cutting improves chances of a long-term deal ... with the Pats.

As I said, cutting Branch would be a last-resort option if he priced himself out of a long-term deal and threatened an even longer holdout. Since the Pats initiated the trade move, they would have to make a steal - don't see that happening.

Cutting Branch also removes the holdout threat when negotiating. NE may not want a holdout looming over the season. A cut would be a potentially volatile move though if not handled properly. They could just offer him the opportunity to test the market and then decide if signing with the Pats would be in his best financial interests (and the Pats have bet all along that it is). If not, both parties go their separate ways and this is settled before week 1.

I definitely wouldn't like to see it go this far, but who knows how crazy Branch and his agent are about this deal.

richpats said:
nothing the Pats do surprises me anymore.

That I agree with.

But my version of "nothing surprises me" is that the Pats may very well be trying to trade Branch right now. The assumption is that they are trying to pressure him to report to camp. While I think that is probably correct, I wouldn't be surprised if they have trade partner in mind and hope to move the little weasel sooner rather than later.

At this point, trading the little weasel to Dallas for TO might not be a bad move. At least TO is in camp riding the exercise bikes. That's a lot more than can be said for the little weasel.

hwc said:
That I agree with.

But my version of "nothing surprises me" is that the Pats may very well be trying to trade Branch right now. The assumption is that they are trying to pressure him to report to camp. While I think that is probably correct, I wouldn't be surprised if they have trade partner in mind and hope to move the little weasel sooner rather than later.

At this point, trading the little weasel to Dallas for TO might not be a bad move. At least TO is in camp riding the exercise bikes. That's a lot more than can be said for the little weasel.

Even if you disregard all of TO's baggage (and how could anyone), that still would be trading a healthy WR entering his prime for a banged-up wideout who is turning 33 this season.

richpats said:
Even if you disregard all of TO's baggage (and how could anyone), that still would be trading a healthy WR entering his prime for a banged-up wideout who is turning 33 this season.

I'm not saying an even up trade. Take TO and a future draft pick.

Good for the Cowboys. They move TO and solve the Tuna/TO clash. Plus they get a solid WR for the future in the little weasel.

Good for the Pats. TO plugs an immediate hole (assuming his hammy will heal sooner rather than later) and the Pats get a draft choice to replace the little weasel next spring.

Capwise, it's manageable for both teams.

I'm not saying I think this will happen or that I necessarily thing that it should happen. I'm just saying that there may be more options on the table than we are considering. Just have to wait 'til Friday.

richpats said:
What he's implying is that the Pats will not let Branch continue his holdout into the regular season, and his fate will certainly be known on FRIDAY.

Of course this option would be a last-resort, but could the Pats possibly CUT Branch on Friday? I think they would rather do that than let his holdout cast a shadow over their season, and if he decided to come back Week 10 that would shake up the locker room (not in a good way either).

Lawyer Milloy was cut because his cap number was untenable and he refused to accept a contract change to lower it. Branch will not be cut, but he may be suspended for the season, which would prevent him from earning his year of credited service.

edit: I see I'm about the 11th person to make this point ...

Last edited:
As I said in another thread where I refered to this one, I think it means that the Pats may be activily and seriously be persuing a trade with someone.

Look at this statement
“What you have to do is figure out what resolution and optimism mean to you,” Kraft said. “All of us know what we’d prefer to see happen. We’ll wait and see what happens.”

I think we can say that Branch continuing to hold out once this thing ends is no one's version of optimism or resolution.

I think when he refers to "All of us know what we would prefer to see happen", he is of course talking about Branch staying with the team.

But I really think he is alluding to the fact that one of the resolutions may in fact be Branch getting traded.

Because Branch continuing to hold out certainly isn't a resolution.

I guess he could also mean that Branch comes back and plays out the year with the present contract, but I don't think that is what he is saying.

I think those of us (myself included) who felt that this whole trade thing may have been a ploy, especially those in the media, may in fact be dead wrong.

And that fact may be that the Pats are actually doing there best to trade Deion so he can get what he wants, and that the Pats can get something in return.

Amazing, but after all this, I think most of us really never gave much thought to the fact that the Pats may actually really be trying to trade him.

Of course I may be reading to much into this. I have been known to do that.

Anyway, just my two cents!

Status
Not open for further replies.

2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots WR Javon Baker Conference Call
TRANSCRIPT: Layden Robinson Conference Call
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
Back