PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

What if we DO win the Super Bowl?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been thinking this over, the win vs. SD was very satisfying but it seems that it only fanned the media wildfire on the spygate issue. We have to realize us winning the superbowl will be the league office's worst nightmare come true and we're going to see some absolutely terrible calls thrown at us. But I digress, what if we actually do it? It won't be viewed as valid by anyone but us, it might even be compared to the black sox of the early 20th century as a stolen championship. It just depresses me, naturally I'll be rooting for the pats all the way but if we win I won't have the same feeling at all that I did when we any of the first 3. Anyone else feeling this dilemma? Maybe all this stupid press is getting to me and I should just stop reading ESPN, SI, and the like.

I wouldn't worry about how you'll feel months from now, if they win. Listen, it's a looooooooooong season. A million things will happen between now and the Superbowl. WhateverYouWantToCallIt-Gate just happened, so feelings are still raw. The media will calm down eventually, until then just avoid ESPN if it's giving you heartburn.

And look on the bright side. If this stuff was going to come out, better that it came out at the very beginning. If the Pats were having a great year, and week 12 we find out about WhateverYouWantToCallIt-Gate, it would be much worse and put a shadow over this team's accomplishments. With the way it happened, the team can use it as a rallying point all year, and of course no one can say they were using video in the SB, if they get there.

And if you're feeling depressed, just think about the possibility of Goodell, Belichick, and Kraft together on that podium. Now that's funny.

It depends if we're in a superbowl rematch, if its a team we've played before we'll have cheating video to beat them. So that doesn't count. If we play the colts in the playoffs we'll use our cheat video from 2006 etc.

I really don't see how anyone can play the "cheating" card with any credibility going forward. That would mean that Tony Dungy has been living in a cave the past few weeks, has NO IDEA that the Patriots were accused of anything, and then just rolled out the same signals in the playoffs.

Or, is it against the rules for coaches to change their signals?

Anyways, I'm done caring what people think. Since they're never going to respect the Pats, let's just frustrate everyone trying to get under our skin as much as possible. Laugh when they mention "spygate", and tell them that you don't understand the anger because "spies are cool." Tell them that the other teams deserved to get their signals stolen if "everyone knows" the Pats watching their coaches and they did nothing to protect their signs. And make sure you smile...nothing will frustrate them more.

Last edited:
I've been thinking this over, the win vs. SD was very satisfying but it seems that it only fanned the media wildfire on the spygate issue. We have to realize us winning the superbowl will be the league office's worst nightmare come true and we're going to see some absolutely terrible calls thrown at us. But I digress, what if we actually do it? It won't be viewed as valid by anyone but us, it might even be compared to the black sox of the early 20th century as a stolen championship. It just depresses me, naturally I'll be rooting for the pats all the way but if we win I won't have the same feeling at all that I did when we any of the first 3. Anyone else feeling this dilemma? Maybe all this stupid press is getting to me and I should just stop reading ESPN, SI, and the like.

The Black Sox accepted payments from gamblers to THROW the series vs. the Reds!

How would that compare to our boys?

I don't see it. The Pats are one of the most popular teams in the NFL and have some of the leagfue's biggest stars (Brady, Moss, Seymour). It makes sense for the NFL to back the Pats if they stay on track about the rules this season.

I think if they win the Super Bowl, it will be a triumph for them and the league.

Goodell can stand up and say, "Now this is the way I want it done in my league. Congrats to the Patriots for righting their ship under my guidance."

And the Pats can wink and say, "Okay Roger, whatever you say!"

Let's try not to worry about this now. I know when February rolls around, looking back to September always seems like a loooong stretch.

As for ESPN, I've stopped watching or listening to them. Nothing they say matters. Really.

And as for other fans, you have to laugh it off. You can't make someone change their mind. So let's take a page from BB and co. and just control what we can control.

You celebrate like hell, because after back-to-back painful playoff losses to hated AFC rivals, it feels long overdue. That, and winning the Super Bowl is always the best case scenario as a fan. There will always be asterisk talk by the haters but pay no matter to them, their invalid opinions aren't of any importance. Don't ever feel ashamed to be a Patriots fan.

I think the opposite to be honest.. I think the Patriots winning the Superbowl and dominating everyone in their path is the best thing for the league because then they can say we won it fair and square and that our past Superbowls aren't tainted.

What (s)he said.

I hope it happens so we can see Roger Goodell hand over the Lombardi Trophy to Bill Belichick. That would be priceless.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News