PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

What has been the most pleasant surprise of the Patriots season so far?

THE HUB FOR PATRIOTS FANS SINCE 2000

MORE PINNED POSTS:
Replies:
Very sad news: RIP Joker
Replies:
OT: Bad news - "it" is back...
Replies:
2023/2024 Patriots Roster Transaction Thread
Replies:
Asking for your support

What has been the most pleasant surprise of the Patriots season so far?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
I can't believe this isn't up there but the loss of Randy Moss and acquiring Deion Branch and the team improving significantly because of it.

Yeah, in hindsight that should be on there as an option.

People were all over Welker's stats right after, eager to shout about the serious downside to losing Moss. Somehow those articles stopped getting written. :cool:

I voted other, because everything else in the pole would not be possible with out the Job that the organization is doing. From BB to the scouts to player personnel to the coaching staff. We've seen BB do good jobs in the past, but I had no idea that he could be better and he is.

Other: going 11-2 with three games to play. Who would have guessed? I am astounded.

You need to add Bill Belichick, with no offensive or defensive coordinators, built a team of very young players, and through addition and subtraction made this team better mid season.. consistently preparing and putting this team in a position to win.

Then I would check (f) all of the above..

When NFL History is written, this seasoni may be BB's greatest accomplishment..

#3 for me as I see McCourty's emergence as part of that overall theme, and to me the most important thing for this team going forward is how the young guys--especially the huge core of rookies--continue to develop.

We can talk all we want about Brady and Branch and the undrafted FA RB's, but the rookie TE's are what turn this offense from very good to unstoppable--there's no scheming against a 2 TE set with the personnel they have. And defensively, this team only goes as far as the defense allows it to, and with so many young guys they just HAVE to play the good, hard-nosed, disciplined football they've been playing lately.

Truly excellent cornerbacks come around once every 3-4 years or so. To think that McCourty is playing at this extremely high level at this point in his rookie year when most pundits thought that he was picked primarily because of his special teams ability is incredible. Lots of things have gone right, but this is the most mind-blowing. That forced fumble (after an excellent tackle) was just more icing on the cake.

McCourty, without question.

The patriots secondary has gone from a vulnerability, to one that may be one of the best in the NFL next year:

LCB : McCourty
RCB : Bodden
NCB: Wilhite/Butler
SS: Chung
FS: Merriweather
NS: Sanders/Page/etc.

now if only we could buy some passrush.

McCourty. His leap to a shutdown corner during his rookie season is unbelievable. That rarely happens. Having him take out one receiver by himself opens up BB's options on D so much. Now the Pats can blitz more, play exotic coverage and such rather than a weak zone that everyone was picking apart earlier this year.

Close 2nd is BJGE & Woodhead, particularly Danny. When Faulk went down, I thought "There goes our only backfield receiving option and only good blitz pick-up RB". Woodhead not only has done great at both, but is also a good running threat. Their great play has made the Pats' play-action passes deadly, especially with the two TEs on the field. Without them keeping the D honest, the Pats may have stuck with the empty-backfield spread which was getting diagnosed by the better Ds the last few years.

Regards,
Chris

To patsfaninpittsburgh and anybody who cares why I haven't been on the boards like I have been in the past.

First I've been ignoring Patsfaninpittsburgh and the only reason I see her comments is because I lurk before logging in.

Also, I see that Patsfaninpittsburgh still clearly doesn't get and thinks just because the Pats are 11-2, they are back to their glory days. Well, the season isn't over yet and they still have to play in the playoffs.

I've have said for the last five years that the Pats inability to close out games was one of their many Achilles heal's.

People like Patsfaninpittsburgh, who can't see the difference between last year's "5th ranked defense" and this year's defense needs a clue.

I'll give it to you. Their defense is doing something they haven't done for years and that is close out games.

That is what championship teams do.

The Pats are also doing something they haven't done for years - draft well. In fact, not only is this year's draft class the best in the NFL, but I believe it's BB's best draft class by far. In addition, Mayo has proven many people like myself wrong and is having an outstanding year. Lastly, had Chung stayed healthy, I believe he would've had a monster year and easily eclipsed 100 tackles.

With all of this being said, I believe this could be the year the Pats close this season out with a super bowl win (which is amazing when you consider that they are in a rebuilding year).

However, regardless of how this season ends, the Pats are loaded with their draft class of 2010 and the emergence of Mayo, Chung, Vollmer and Tate having the ability to take any kickoff to the house.

And not to forget, they go into the off season with two 1st's, two 2nds', and two 2 3rd's.

So why have I disappeared?

1. The Pats are 11-2
2. Their D is closing out games
3. They are beating teams with a winning record.
4. Their recent drafts are panning out and finally helping Tom Brady
5. There's no reason to come on the boards and state the obvious

Last edited:
The flip side of this is what has been most disappointing about the season...and that's actually something else that's pleasant, because I don't think there would be enough choices to warrant a poll.

Seriously, what would the choices be? Butler not performing to expectations? What else? Hard to think of anything.

The flip side of this is what has been most disappointing about the season...and that's actually something else that's pleasant, because I don't think there would be enough choices to warrant a poll.

Seriously, what would the choices be? Butler not performing to expectations? What else? Hard to think of anything.

Hmmm....maybe Spikes' stupidity?

This team is playing with alot of heart right now, with Tom Brady leading the way, and I am just enjoying every bit of it. Hopefully they can continue to become more solid on both sides of the ball, one game at a time.....

It's just great to be a Patriots fan....:D

For me it has to be the young guys steppin up, because that bodes well for the future.

Difficult to pick one over the other.. the Patriots are like a well oiled machine right now with many different cogs contributing their bit to make the whole thing work. This is a team and I think it's difficult to pick one and say .. aha, that's the reason for their success !

The 2 W's - Welker and Woodhead - will contribute to a third W in the big game imo.

This Packers game is going to be a joke without Rodgers. If we play Hoyer on Sunday and rest Brady, I think we'll still win.

Status
Not open for further replies.

2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
Back