PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

What food are you having for the Super Bowl?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am just curious as to what everyone is having to eat on Sunday for the big game? We are making:

Mini Burgers and homemade Onion Rings

How many sacks?

Humble Pie.

Same thing as every Super Bowl, we get tons and tons of BBQ from Redbones in Cambridge.

Re: Shakadave's Super Bowl Soup

I'm glad you asked!

For the last 16 years or so, I've had a tradition of making Super Bowl Soup. It's a little different every year, but is always sort of heavy like a stew, always with one meat, a bag or two of beans, and a bunch of vegetables, and always spicy. It's always a good bet that you'll see baby corn and water chestnuts in the mix; an average of about $45 or $50 goes into the pot (a huge pot that makes enough to freeze some to eat throughout the year). I make it on Saturday because it's better when the tabasco and Worcestershire sauce have had a day to sink in. On game day it is paired with Dos Equis Amber or Newcastle Brown Ale, and cheese and crackers. If it's spicy enough, the soup should make your upper lip sweat.

I make it every year with just those guidelines, but in years when the Patriots are in it, I'm required to theme the soup to the city where the game is played. (This requirement was not added until Super Bowl XXXVI, so it's brought good luck.) When it was in New Orleans, it was a white broth for the first time --- other years it had always been red/tomato-based --- and was sort of a play on chicken gumbo. When the game was in Houston, the soup theme was Tex-Mex, with taco-style crumbled browned beef. I had a hard time deciding what to do for Jacksonville in XXXIX, but finally decided to go with smoked ham and blackeyed peas, and it came out excellent I must say, with kale, onions, turnips, liquid smoke, and many other things in there.

So this year, the soup will probably have beef and chili peppers, with possibly some shredded Mexican cheese to sprinkle atop each hot bowl. Then again, I could go in the direction of chicken with cilantro. I never know for sure until I do the soup shopping, usually Friday night.

Do you want to post the recipe?

i need to pick something up, thanks for the reminder.

I'm nervous so im trying not to think about it.

And i just found out i can off work that day at 5 so i'll be able to catch the whole game at home, thank god.

I'm thinking pizza and beers though.

I always have a theme for the food based on the teams involved and/or the host city. This year it will be "Battle of the Chowders," with New England vs. Manhattan, homemade NY-style pastrami (think Katz's, yep, I corn and smoke it myself), and a southwestern black bean, roasted corn and chipotle salsa for the chips. Plus whatever anyone else brings (I have a feeling someone will bring Arizona Iced Tea even though it has nothing to do with Arizona).

game here will start more or less at midnight...

before Afc Championship i had 'brasato with polenta' (not bad at all...)

next sunday i don't know yet (i have to ask to my wife)

Re: Shakadave's Super Bowl Soup

Do you want to post the recipe?

You know how these things are. There is no recipe. The only way to learn how to make it would be to watch me from behind grandmother's apron every year since you were eight, etc....

doc460358ff24aef913101441_thumb.jpg

So far, it looks like we'll be having

Deviled eggs
Buffalo wings
Teriyaki wings
Tuna dip
Clam dip
Brats and sausages
Veggie plate
Potato chips, corn chips, crackers and
either Chorico and peppers or shredded pot roast sandwiches

Drinks will include the standard soda, wine, beer and hard liquor, along with 'frozen' egg nogs and other mixed drinks.

1.) Tacos
2.) Tio Juans Margaritas Salsa (Hot) and Tortilla Chips
3.) Jalapeno Chedder Chicken Nuggets
4.) Potato Chips and French Onion Dip
5.) Veggie Platter
6.) Patriots Super Bowl cupcakes
7.) Hood Peanut Butter Nation ice cream (Red Sox line)

This is the current roster but like the Patriots having to add someone for Mel Mitchell I need to add something to the list... to be determined lol

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

We just planned the menu:

Chicken wings, little italian meatballs, BBG ribs, cole slaw, and tons of beer!!

If anyone wants a great EASY yummy chicken wing recipe:

Bag of those 5 lb frozen wing ding thingies. thawed:

1 cup reg sugar
1 cup brown sugar
1 cup soy sauce
1/4 teaspoon fresh garlic

Mix up the ingredients in a large bowl and throw in the wings. Marinate for about an hour, stirring occasionally.

Bake at 250 degrees for 3-4 hours basting and stirring every 1/2 hour til they are sticky and goooey! (I figure, everytime I refresh my beverage during the afternoon, I'll baste and stir)

YUMM!! (It can all be doubled if you are having a big crowd!)

lobster, filet, champagne, cuban

My fiancee and I will be at Mickey's Irish Pub watching the game with some of our friends so we'll probably be enjoying their burgers and drinks.

I've got a big appetite for a huge Patriots victory!

As a RI transplant living in Virginia we are serving:

New England Clam Chowder
New England Clam Bake
Rhode Island Clam Cakes
Pawtucket Chilli

For Dessert:

Ben & Jerry's Ice Cream
Boston Cream Pie

Drinks:

Dell's Lemondade
Sam Adams
Cape Cods for whoever wants mixed drinks

One thing I forgot, popcorn for friends who are Cowboy fans.

As a RI transplant living in Virginia we are serving:

New England Clam Chowder
New England Clam Bake
Rhode Island Clam Cakes
Pawtucket Chilli

For Dessert:

Ben & Jerry's Ice Cream
Boston Cream Pie

Drinks:

Dell's Lemondade
Sam Adams
Cape Cods for whoever wants mixed drinks

Heroin Wings

Ingredients:

2-3 pounds chicken wings
1 cup grated Parmesan cheese
2 tablespoons dried parsley
1 tablespoon dried oregano
2 teaspoons paprika
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1/2 teaspoon pepper
1/2 cup butter

Preparation:

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.

Cut the wings into drumsticks, saving the pointy tips. (Not sure what to do with those wingtips? Freeze them for soup—they make great broth).

Combine the Parmesan cheese and the parsley, oregano, paprika, garlic powder and pepper in a bowl.

Line a shallow baking pan with foil. (Do not omit this step, or you will still be scrubbing the pan a week later.)

Melt the butter in a shallow bowl or pan.

Dip each drumstick in butter, roll in the cheese and seasoning mixture, and arrange in the foil-lined pan.

Bake for 1 hour, and kick yourself for not having made a double recipe!

Yield: About 30 pieces, each with only a trace of carbohydrates, a trace of fiber, and 4 grams of protein.

Source: Dana Carpender, but I made a few minor trial and error changes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back