PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

What do you think of the Maroney pick?

Status
Not open for further replies.
225 might be slightly too much..he'll get heavier as he gets stronger and older but for now..rookie season i say 215ish. reminds me of Portis or James to others

Last edited:
I like it just because it is so unexpected and it's fun to stir things up.

It also makes me think that Rodney is expected back (good), there is something in the works for a WR trade (good), a decent LB will still be picked (neutral), and Corey may be more of a question mark in terms of 2006 production than we (OK, I) thought (bad).

Im guessing Jimmy Williams

*its Kelly Jennings CB to Seahawks

Last edited:
Remix 6 said:
Im guessing Jimmy Williams

I'd be very shocked if they picked Williams with his character issues.

I like this pick. I hope he Dillion comes back strong next year and Maroney doesn't get much PT though.

I would love to see the colts draft room reaction after Maroney and Williams were off the board. They obviously had to draft a running back. I think having a position of great need to fill in the first round is huge disadvantage on draft day.

PaperThinDefense said:
I like this pick. I hope he Dillion comes back strong next year and Maroney doesn't get much PT though.

I would love to see the colts draft room reaction after Maroney and Williams were off the board. They obviously had to draft a running back. I think having a position of great need to fill in the first round is huge disadvantage on draft day.

According to a source, Indy scumbag Bill Polian said "I wish someone would break (Maroneys and Williams') legs". :)

I'm not worried about his character at all. If we picked him in the 1st round, you know he is dedicated to football. This could be a good pick for us.

Also, it will fuel Dillon as he'll be real competition.

KDPpatsfan said:
I hate the pick at #21. Poor value...He doesn't have a RB body IMo...to lanky and skinny. BUT..In BB we trust.
Is that you, Bobby Grier? :)

Just kidding, but seriously, the current Pats regime rightly focuses on factors like production and character rather than workout numbers or physique. Tony Simmons had a great body, I bet.

I wanna puke....Lawson was still on the board too. I thought Maroney would be good value....in rd 2.

He was not on my "board" but he is a good football player.

Rom Pro Football Weekly; 6feet 217 4.4 speed. "Has big play capablity. Has breakway speed and can contibte as a Kickoff returner. Will benefit from an NFL strength and nutrition program and has the frame to get up to 225lbs. A first round talent."

Ranked 18th overall by the sporting news, 26th by GBN, and 25th by PFW.

Patjew said:
I like it just because it is so unexpected and it's fun to stir things up.

It also makes me think that Rodney is expected back (good), there is something in the works for a WR trade (good), a decent LB will still be picked (neutral), and Corey may be more of a question mark in terms of 2006 production than we (OK, I) thought (bad).

In his press conference, BB explicitly mentioned that he had spoken to Corey. Of course, the content of the conversation was not to be discussed ("a player-coach conversation"). BB's line was that it was good to have a new, young back to work with in the group but that one shouldn't think that they were dissatisfied with the existing backs or that they were too old. Convoluted, but you can give it an optimistic spin, if you like -- that's the way I'm going to read it.

He may be rated as a late 1st round player but in all probability he'd probably could have been had in the 2nd- a terrible pick IMO. If they were intent on offense they should have went after a WR unless they think he'll be the next LT.

Brick said:
He may be rated as a late 1st round player but in all probability he'd probably could have been had in the 2nd- a terrible pick IMO. If they were intent on offense they should have went after a WR unless they think he'll be the next LT.

Um, no. He probably would've gone to the Colts in the 1st.

So, you think it's a reach and that's a TERRIBLE pick?

I love the Maroney pick. We NEEDED a RB to develop behind Dillon and Faulk.
For those of you who don't like this pick, cheer up. The Colt fans aren't very happy with BB right now.:D
http://www2.indystar.com/forums/showthread.php?t=146746
They seem very concerned about our draft. I can't think why? Shouldn't they be worried about the teams in their division? :confused:

midwestpatsfan said:
Lawson is a workout warrior who is good at one thing, pass rush. We have roosevelt coleman to do that. Maroney can really make a difference now and in the future.
That's interesting to hear. Even though I live 10 minutes from the NC State campus I have never seen them play.

I was also wondering how much Lawson benefited from playing on the other end of the D line from #1 overall pick Mario Williams. Obviously opposing offensive coordinators need to make sure a guy like Williams is targeted in the blocking scheme. With him drawing a lot of the focus and attention Lawson probably benefited statistically. Has anyone seen enough of the 'Pack defense to know if that is true?

I felt a lot better about the Maroney pick after we picked #1 ranked WR Chad Jackson in the second round. That was a bigger need than RB, IMO, but now we should be set there. We still need a linebacker and could use a CB (although I think we're not that bad off with our 3 young CB's there), but the offense is ALL set now! :)

Brick said:

I'm not so sure about that. It's likely that a back would have been available, but the Colts probably would have taken Maroney ahead of Addai had he been available to them. Maroney seems to be the quicker of the two, and a better change of pace to Dillon.

On the other hand, the thought of getting a late-round gem a la Curtis Martin is always enticing. But that hasn't worked for them lately.

I wish they could have kept the early third-rounder though, and traded the later pick. GB played that well.

kolbitr said:
I'm not so sure about that. It's likely that a back would have been available, but the Colts probably would have taken Maroney ahead of Addai had he been available to them. Maroney seems to be the quicker of the two, and a better change of pace to Dillon.

On the other hand, the thought of getting a late-round gem a la Curtis Martin is always enticing. But that hasn't worked for them lately.

I wish they could have kept the early third-rounder though, and traded the later pick. GB played that well.

Well they nabbed Chad Jackson so that took the wind out of my last post...lol.:D

I just hope that he is the real deal.

Bioli knows more than we do...

We have to wait for a few years to really know.

Now we need a corner, linebacker, kicker, safety, and some great value picks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes