PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

What do you think of the Maroney pick?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nem

NEM said:
I tend to agree with you.

At first, I hated the pick. Then I went and did two things.

1: I checked out Maroney on the web, and overall, I like what I read...and if he improves his one negative, of not playing every down at full throttle, then he might turn out to be a great NFL running back. He seems to have the size, the strength and the ability.

2: That alone was not enough to make me change my mind, but then I thought the same as you, that there must be a deal in the making for Jabon Walker or Ashley lei....and if so, then it makes sense to me.

Now, my next pick would be, and I can remember his name, that lineman from Boston college.

How did you get BOTH of these names wrong NEM?.....it's JaVon Walker and Ashley Lelie!!!!! ;)

we took Laurence FRICKIN Maroney with Manny Lawson, Chad Jackson, Jimmy Williams, DeAngelo Williams, Santonio Holmes, and Winston Justice on the board..... pissed does not come close to describing me right now....our needs are in this order

WR
OLB
DB

and we passed on one of the best in this draft in each category for Laurence Maroney....AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

dhamz said:
I think it is surprising.

I think it fills a need - maybe not the biggest need but clearly a #2 RB and an heir apparent was a hole we needed to plug.

I think he's going to be a contributor this year and then the starter for 2007 and beyond.

I'm not going to complain about it at all.

My sentiments exactly. The Pats rarely draft skill position players in the 1st round, and they always seem to surprise the fans with their first selection.

This one is a solid pick, RB was a BIG need.

sieglo said:
Dillon's gonna be cranky about this.

Dillon would be cranky if we didn't get him, are you kidding me?
:D

It's a great pick and a vote of confidence for the current d-backs. We can pick a lot of developmental players and let them fight it out. Also, the Colts are back to the drawing board.

NEM said:
6 foot, 216 lbs????????

Beat me to it, the guy is a bowling ball.

Hope if there is a WR that isn't Walker it'll be Stallworth and not Lelie.

This is what we needed

Im happy with the pick. This is a Defensive draft and I think we just got a steal.

I was thinking Lawson or Williams, but i like the pick!

(reposted from other thread)

This seems to me as if it as a pick designed to make an immediate impact for next year. RBs can certainly do that, as well as any players in a draft. As impressive as Lawson is, I suspect that any LB coming into the NE system is going to have a steep learning curve, and any rookie, even a smart kid with obvious gifts, will be at least a year or three off from having that impact. I had thought the Pats would trade down, but they must have felt strongly that Moroney would be gone by then. I don't know much about him, and will be curious.

I also agree that it might indicate a possible trade for a WR in the works.

Dillon will be 32 this October.

Faulk will be 30 this June.

Theyve been trying for a few years to develop a guy from later in the draft with Womack and Cobbs. That hasnt worked.

Maroney's bigger and faster than Williams. All the draft guides compare him to Portis. I think's its a very good pick. They valued him over Lawson and others.

Maybe WR MLB or DB next? Walker?

It's very unexpected, but it's kind of an exciting pick. I'm confident that BB could build a good D even with a group of high school cheerleaders. He probably feels there's enough talent still out there to build up our defense, especially if Rodney Harrison comes back in good form. I just hope Maroney is the real deal.

mavfan2390 said:
we took Laurence FRICKIN Maroney with Manny Lawson, Chad Jackson, Jimmy Williams, DeAngelo Williams, Santonio Holmes, and Winston Justice on the board..... pissed does not come close to describing me right now....our needs are in this order

WR
OLB
DB

and we passed on one of the best in this draft in each category for Laurence Maroney....AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

The SKY IS FALLING....THE SKY IS FALLING...THE SKY FALLING

I like the pick

This pick says one thing: we will not ket CD's ability to stay healthy hold the 2006 season hostage.

KDPpatsfan said:
I hate the pick at #21. Poor value...He doesn't have a RB body IMo...to lanky and skinny. BUT..In BB we trust.
6 foot 215 lbs is not a skinny RB. I am however very surprised with the pick since everything I have read about him makes him look like the anti-BB type player. I guess on good thing is that the Colts will not get him. Since he won't be a starter for at least a year he could develop into a great runner. Personally he looks like the prototypic guy who has yet to reach his full potential, the kind of guy that everyone looks to draft. I think Williams would have been the better RB coice and Jimmy Williams would have been a better pick all together.

I wanted to wait a year. This year it was now or wait until the 6th. But this is a great pick. If bb picks a running back in the first, you know he's checked him out.

I think this will help our running game (and Dillon) a lot. At first, Dillon can be main back, with Maroney as the short-down back, and Faulk the third down back. Eventually Maroney and Dillon will switch positions. I used cringe when Dillon had to do the work on 3rd or 4th and one.

If bb thinks we need a running back, then we need a running back.

dhamz said:
I think it is surprising.

I think it fills a need - maybe not the biggest need but clearly a #2 RB and an heir apparent was a hole we needed to plug.

I think he's going to be a contributor this year and then the starter for 2007 and beyond.

I'm not going to complain about it at all.

This does however, make me think that some sort of signing/trade is in the works at DB,WR because those really appear to be the pressing needs. Especially WR. But...the fact that none have been drafted could mean a big WR slide so...maybe they think thoer guy will be around in the second.

Maroney is a NE Back. D. Williams is too small and weak. Laurence Maroney has speed, size, and agility. He is solid on all fronts, he's versatile. He is a pats back and I hope and believe he will be the future of the patriots.

I must say that I really appreciate all the fans whinning and filled with rage because of this pick. It wouldn't be a BB draft without it!

This is as good for improving protection on Brady as an OL pick. Teams kept blitzing Brady every down because they didn't have to respect the run, so Brady was getting killed. In addition Mauroney is a good recieving back. This is helpful on multiple levels.

A pick like this tells me that they see a LB in their sights that nobody else has their eye on, in the 2nd round.

hey! we finally get a RB that should be able to start that is very fast and agile! Smith was slow..Martin wasnt that fast or agile..Dillon was more of a power guy. We get an explosive kid on our offense

BB - "I don't think your going to be writing that this guy is slow."

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey