PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

What counts as a successful season?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just win, baby.

A division title for Miami wouldn't be a "success", it would be a "pinch me I'm dreaming!" season. That would be the Super Bowl for Miami. Of course the odds of it happening beggar imagination; you have to talk about things like accidental collisions between a single jar of peanut butter originating in Georgia and a chocolate bar from Sydney or something to convey the numerical enormity of such a chance occurence; but it is within the realm of theoretical possibility, as is the sudden flying out of my buttocks of a troop of winged monkeys. Again, not likely, but possible.

Weren't you supposed to pay up on a bet, by the way?

PFnV
Better yet winged pigs.

A successful season is not measured by the outcome. Success is when the team plays to it's fullest potential given the circumstances.

For example, I think of 05 as a disappointment because they gave away a very winnable game in Denver in the playoffs. Even with the bad calls and bad breaks they were right in the game down 4 points inside the 10 yard line. The only score that Denver added was when the defense wasn't on the field. I wouldn't call any playoff year a "failure" but it was a C+ performance at best.

Last year was a success because they had no business beating SD the way they played, and yet they overcame and won anyway. The loss at Indy was painful, but clearly the result of a team that was just physically spent and had given up all they had to give. No shame there. I give it an A-

Who knows what will happen this year with injury, bad breaks, bad calls, whatever. Success will be determined by how they respond.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe