PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

What counts as a successful season?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just win, baby.

A division title for Miami wouldn't be a "success", it would be a "pinch me I'm dreaming!" season. That would be the Super Bowl for Miami. Of course the odds of it happening beggar imagination; you have to talk about things like accidental collisions between a single jar of peanut butter originating in Georgia and a chocolate bar from Sydney or something to convey the numerical enormity of such a chance occurence; but it is within the realm of theoretical possibility, as is the sudden flying out of my buttocks of a troop of winged monkeys. Again, not likely, but possible.

Weren't you supposed to pay up on a bet, by the way?

PFnV
Better yet winged pigs.

A successful season is not measured by the outcome. Success is when the team plays to it's fullest potential given the circumstances.

For example, I think of 05 as a disappointment because they gave away a very winnable game in Denver in the playoffs. Even with the bad calls and bad breaks they were right in the game down 4 points inside the 10 yard line. The only score that Denver added was when the defense wasn't on the field. I wouldn't call any playoff year a "failure" but it was a C+ performance at best.

Last year was a success because they had no business beating SD the way they played, and yet they overcame and won anyway. The loss at Indy was painful, but clearly the result of a team that was just physically spent and had given up all they had to give. No shame there. I give it an A-

Who knows what will happen this year with injury, bad breaks, bad calls, whatever. Success will be determined by how they respond.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes