PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

What counts as a successful season?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The answer that has given by the organization in the past is that winning the division win is the goal of every season.

I don't agree to that - only getting 1 t-shirt and hat in a season is a dissapointing failure - Now of course 31 teams have to fail every year,thats a fact.

But I will say that if a team is 1-15 one season and gets deep into the playoffs the next then you might say they should be content with the result but expect even more the next year

Nobody is asking you to agree. It is your view of the world. 31 out of 32 are failures every year.

I don't agree to that - only getting 1 t-shirt and hat in a season is a dissapointing failure - Now of course 31 teams have to fail every year,thats a fact.

But I will say that if a team is 1-15 one season and gets deep into the playoffs the next then you might say they should be content with the result but expect even more the next year

Q: What counts as a successful season?

A: Absolutely nothing less than victory in SB42. In order for said victory to occur, the NEP must receive a 1st-round bye. They have yet to win a SB without one. Therefore, the nearer long-term goal is: AFCE championship and at least the 2nd-best record in the conference.

No SB victory = complete, abject failure.

I think the team's goals every year are as follows:
1. Win the division (4 straight years of success there)
2. Win in the playoffs (12-2 record, I'd say that's pretty successful)
3. Win the AFCCG - failed last year but just barely
4. Win the SB - obviously if you fail goals #1, 2, or 3 you can't make it to goal #4

So if you are looking at this from purely a Super Bowl stand point then yeah, last season was a failure. However, if you take into account everything that has happened with this team over the past few years, I'd say this team has continued to have successful seasons. I guess another way to look at it would be to look at the veteran players in the league that want to be in NE BECAUSE of their sustained success on the field.

I'd say they have had successful seasons since '01, the lone exception being '02.

On one of the team-released DVD's, it shows BB in the locker room saying, "you've won the division, that is our first goal. Our next is home field advantagae..."

So I would assume you add that in somewhere between 1 and 2 on your list.

Nobody is asking you to agree. It is your view of the world. 31 out of 32 are failures every year.

Did I not just say that 31 teams fail every year? - I think thats what I just said.

I'd say a super bowl win is a main objective..but a successful season in my eyes goes as followed..

1.) I want the phrase "are you gellin?" to remain a slogan for Dr. Scholls and not our offense..

2.) Maroney proves to be an elite back capable of "carrying the load".

3.) Kyle Brady/Sammy Morris are solid/good contributors..

4.) Randy Moss shuts up critics, in a postive TD catching way.

5.) Donte Stallworth/Chad Jackson show no injury problems and Chad Grows (as a patriot player)..

6.) and the defense remains healthy and continues on as usual.

7.) Teddy Bruschi Comes back for one more hell of a season/Junior Seau as well..

I don't think that this is a black and white question.

Every season... the first goal has got to be winning the AFC East.... to me, if we make that goal, then we have had some success.

Secondly, we've got to try to get homefield throughout... an incredibly tough second goal... but one worth shooting for... if we can achieve this goal (regardless of overall record)... then we have had more success than in just achieving goal one.

Third: Win Game One of the playoffs.... to me, the playoffs are a "one game at a time" thing...each win is a complete success... and should be enjoyed as one... we are continuing to watch our team play while others sim. to us are already talking draft of "next year".

Fourth: Win Game Two of the playoffs (if we got our second goal then it's the AFC Championship... if not, then we go to the Championship... doesn't really matter.... the goal is to win each game one at a time).

Fifth: Win Game Three of the playoffs (might be the SB... might be the AFC Championship... again, doesn't matter... one game at a time).

Sixth: If nec., Win Game Four of the playoffs (depending upon goal 2... this may or may not be nec.)

To me, EVERY year that we win the AFC East is HUGE... some of you guys were there when we had no shot at the AFC East almost every year (If only the K Gun were real... and we could shoot Marino with it!!!!)... too many fans, in my humble opinion, have gotten a little too big for their britches... winning the AFC East is HUGE... and I celebrate it every year. The rest is gravy.

Is the overall goal winning the Superbowl... yes... but what counts as a succ. season? To me, it's winning the AFC East.... and then it's one step at a time, one game at a time, towards the SB.

To those that have the SB or bust mentality... you are entitled to your opinion... but I was (and am) thrilled with last year.... and will continue to be thrilled with last year.

The Pats have been playing for almost 50 years.... almost forty of those years have been within the AFC East....we've only won 9 division championships in those years... NINE... we only made the AFL Championship ONCE pre merger and got spanked by the Bolts (almost as bad as '85... but the Bears made sure we couldn't move in Q3..... shoot the Fridge with that K-Gun, too.)....to me, that says something... that is something. To win a SB in the NFL is hard, fellas.... expectations can be tough... I expect to make the playoffs this year.... I think that we will win the AFC East... that's about all that I can say... for me, just saying that is a HUGE statement.... SB or bust, to me that's just crazy. I'd rather be happy with a Division championship and then be thirsty for more than be completed saddened by one loss later in the year, fellas!

Just my opinion, though... but boy, you guys are a tough bunch!

The only thing that will make each season truly successful, no matter what sport you are talking about, is winning a championship. Sure depending on the expectations of the team going into the season, your degree of happiness will vary, but in the end, every team is playing to win a title, and anything less than that can not be seen as a success.

I don't think that this is a black and white question.

Every season... the first goal has got to be winning the AFC East.... to me, if we make that goal, then we have had some success.

Secondly, we've got to try to get homefield throughout... an incredibly tough second goal... but one worth shooting for... if we can achieve this goal (regardless of overall record)... then we have had more success than in just achieving goal one.

Third: Win Game One of the playoffs.... to me, the playoffs are a "one game at a time" thing...each win is a complete success... and should be enjoyed as one... we are continuing to watch our team play while others sim. to us are already talking draft of "next year".

Fourth: Win Game Two of the playoffs (if we got our second goal then it's the AFC Championship... if not, then we go to the Championship... doesn't really matter.... the goal is to win each game one at a time).

Fifth: Win Game Three of the playoffs (might be the SB... might be the AFC Championship... again, doesn't matter... one game at a time).

Sixth: If nec., Win Game Four of the playoffs (depending upon goal 2... this may or may not be nec.)

To me, EVERY year that we win the AFC East is HUGE... some of you guys were there when we had no shot at the AFC East almost every year (If only the K Gun were real... and we could shoot Marino with it!!!!)... too many fans, in my humble opinion, have gotten a little too big for their britches... winning the AFC East is HUGE... and I celebrate it every year. The rest is gravy.

Is the overall goal winning the Superbowl... yes... but what counts as a succ. season? To me, it's winning the AFC East.... and then it's one step at a time, one game at a time, towards the SB.

To those that have the SB or bust mentality... you are entitled to your opinion... but I was (and am) thrilled with last year.... and will continue to be thrilled with last year.

The Pats have been playing for almost 50 years.... almost forty of those years have been within the AFC East....we've only won 9 division championships in those years... NINE... we only made the AFL Championship ONCE pre merger and got spanked by the Bolts (almost as bad as '85... but the Bears made sure we couldn't move in Q3..... shoot the Fridge with that K-Gun, too.)....to me, that says something... that is something. To win a SB in the NFL is hard, fellas.... expectations can be tough... I expect to make the playoffs this year.... I think that we will win the AFC East... that's about all that I can say... for me, just saying that is a HUGE statement.... SB or bust, to me that's just crazy. I'd rather be happy with a Division championship and then be thirsty for more than be completed saddened by one loss later in the year, fellas!

Just my opinion, though... but boy, you guys are a tough bunch!

Call me anal,but I am fascinated by the fact that you took the time to write all this but for some reason abbreviated 'similar,neccessary and successful'....interesting to say the least ;)

a successful season according to Asswipe4ever04 is going 1and1 against the patriots lol lol who cares about coming in last place lol

Superbowl nothing less. We have a stacked team I just hope we dont crumble like many of the other hyped teams have before us. Plus almost everybody is expecting us to win it all. I hate that feeling. :(. But I still really like our team this year.

I'd say for you guys anything less then a Super Bowl birth is a failure. You might be the most hyped team in NFL history. For the Dolphins, a division title is success this year. Or, if we are the wild card and get a playoff win, I'd consider that a success. You have to crawl before you walk right?

I'd say for you guys anything less then a Super Bowl birth is a failure. You might be the most hyped team in NFL history. For the Dolphins, a division title is success this year. Or, if we are the wild card and get a playoff win, I'd consider that a success. You have to crawl before you walk right?
Super Bowl birth?

playoffs. if you're a fan and your team makes the playoffs you should be happy.

no one on this board is a football player. none of us has a professional goal of winning the superbowl. the posturing going on in this thread is laughable, and considering how rare championships are any fan who claims to only be satisfied by a championship is either 1) lying, 2) stupid enough to be unsatisfied 90%+ of the time and keep coming back, 3) a masochist, or 4) a bandwagon fan.

Cmon Aqua. A .500% season would be a success for you guys.

You know you're getting old when you remember well when the Patriots wininng a game seemed like a big success -:) I don't know if it's an either or thing. Last year I didn't think the Patriots were a good enough team, despite having many good enough parts, to win a SB so it seemed like less of a failure to me although it was very disapointing. They just had some parts that weren't good enough. This year despite the hype, I'm leery of a couple of the parts. BB always says he doesn't really know what he has until about the 5th or 6th game. I like that. While the Patriots have won the 2007 On Paper Bowl they still haven't won a game. But I'm always cautious.

In the past, a successful season was making the playoffs, especially if they won the division. Now, anything less than a Super Bowl victory is a failure in my mind.

Call me anal,but I am fascinated by the fact that you took the time to write all this but for some reason abbreviated 'similar,neccessary and successful'....interesting to say the least ;)

I type the same on message boards as I do for internal company emails.... abbr. commonly used words saves a few keystrokes... although it doesn't really help anything... it FEELS like it does, and that sometimes helps me feel better when I'm working the 14th hour of the day.

As far as taking the time to write it... if you're not going to post the full thought, why post at all?

A division title for Miami wouldn't be a "success", it would be a "pinch me I'm dreaming!" season. That would be the Super Bowl for Miami. Of course the odds of it happening beggar imagination; you have to talk about things like accidental collisions between a single jar of peanut butter originating in Georgia and a chocolate bar from Sydney or something to convey the numerical enormity of such a chance occurence; but it is within the realm of theoretical possibility, as is the sudden flying out of my buttocks of a troop of winged monkeys. Again, not likely, but possible.

Weren't you supposed to pay up on a bet, by the way?

PFnV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes