PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Wetzel: Brady and Rodgers in a class by themselves

Status
Not open for further replies.
Brady and Montana are in a class by themselves. Aaron may join the class, he may not (he is elite and tracked for a HoF resume, but still not the same). An argument could be made for Bradshaw to be there, but I won't make it.

I don't think you appreciate the choking dog that is Peyton Manning. Aaron Rodgers has lost the following playoff games:

2009 in OT to defending NFC Champs ARI despite scoring 45 points
2011 to eventual SB Champs NY Giants, who shut down every QB
2012 to eventual NFC Champs SF 49ers, an insanely good squad that won in Foxboro that season
2013 to SF 49ers, basically that same squad again
2014 to defending champs SEA, who went to their second straight SB and nearly won

Besides ARI, these are all incredible defenses and the teams were completely loaded with talent. It's not like Rodgers stunk in most of these games either; he played about as well as you could expect a QB to play in the playoffs against absolutely ferocious defenses, often on the road.

This isn't Peyton Manning throwing pick sixes, vomiting on himself, and forgetting how to run an offense while losing at home to a 9-7 team that's about to get bounced by forty points in the next round.

Based on the Stephen A. Smith school of football analysis, this means Aaron Rodgers also does not show up against Elite Defenses

I don't think you appreciate the choking dog that is Peyton Manning. Aaron Rodgers has lost the following playoff games:

2012 to eventual NFC Champs SF 49ers, an insanely good squad that won in Foxboro that season
2014 to defending champs SEA, who went to their second straight SB and nearly won

Besides ARI, these are all incredible defenses and the teams were completely loaded with talent. It's not like Rodgers stunk in most of these games either; he played about as well as you could expect a QB to play in the playoffs against absolutely ferocious defenses, often on the road.

This isn't Peyton Manning throwing pick sixes, vomiting on himself, and forgetting how to run an offense while losing at home to a 9-7 team that's about to get bounced by forty points in the next round.

So he can't beat elite defenses

Beating Rodgers in the SB would be unbelievably awesome, but losing.....we'd never ever hear the end of it.

Assuming Rodgers even made it that far, I'd love the Patriots chances in that one, with 2 weeks to prepare.

A nervous matchup for the pats i must admit. i can envision our defense drop back and wait for him to pick it apart,exciting also to see two top qb in a superbowl shootout.

Yeah, it kind of is Peyton Manning....

When he lost to the Giants, he had a 15-1 team going up against a 9 win team, and he got beat by 17, at home, in a game where he threw a pick and fumbled...

That's got Peyton Manning written all over it.

Beating Rodgers in the SB would be unbelievably awesome, but losing.....we'd never ever hear the end of it.

I could handle losing to an excellent team and excellent quarterback like Rodgers. That would be much easier to take than a team that constantly finishes below .500, is incredibly inconsistent, has major attitude issues all around, and just happens to get hot/lucky a few times. That's essentially the NY Giants. In 2011, they were actually OUTSCORED by their opponents over the season. They don't get second chances; they get eighth chances, and then they come in with a "nothing to lose" attitude, get every break imaginable, and act like they are a great franchise. Would much rather have lost both SBs to teams that consistently win 11+ games and deserve a ring for all of their accomplishments.

So yes, I could definitely handle losing to the Packers, just as I could have handled losing to the Seahawks last season. Just not some lucky crap team.

I don't think any of the media guys saying Rodgers is the better QB are going on body of work, I think they are talking about now, and in that context it is a reasonable analogy. Rodgers needs two to three more Rings to get into the GOAT discussion, and imo anything less than four excludes him. That said he's a great QB and a scary adversary in a big game.

This is pure gold. Thank you for posting it!!!

Belichick would coach circles around Mike McCarthy but it won't matter much if Rodgers can T off on our secondary. I don't want to face him unless the picture really changes in a few months.

Every time Palmer gets injured its just the universe course correcting itself because its just not his destiny to do well. Sorry Carson.

Belichick would coach circles around Mike McCarthy but it won't matter much if Rodgers can T off on our secondary. I don't want to face him unless the picture really changes in a few months.

Belichick didn't coach circles around McCarthy last year.

I actually wouldn't mind Rodgers in the superbowl and I like our chances being that he does not have Jordy Nelson. BB's smart enough to take away Cobb and press at the line of scrimmage + blitz, key in on James Jones in the red zone.

These other coaches that the Packers have been up against are utterly stupid/inept.

Hate to say it, but it is a team game and player X can be as good as player Y even without the same
number of rings.

I disagree. Quarterback is the most important position. Both Brady and Rodgers could win Superbowls if they were playing QB for a lot of different teams that won't even sniff a Superbowl. Buffalo and the Jets are two examples just in our division.

All time historic quarterbacks can do things with less, where they just take over the game and will a team of 53 to victory. We've seen Tom do it so many times now, and yes, maybe it's 12 guys willing on 41, or 8 willing on 45, but we've seen Brady simply be the stand our story of the game.

The Patriots are dead in the water last year against Baltimore without Tom. QB's change the plays, read the defenses, perpetually overcome adversity by the down to still make plays.

Rodgers is a very likable guy. The dude has an elite skill set. He's honestly probably a better thrower of the football than Dan Marino.

My only knock on him in an argument against Brady is… For all his physical skills at the position, which are probably the best in the league, whenever there is a great need for him to do something epic in the playoffs….

….he just simply doesn't.

I'll take 1a Tom any day.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back