PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

We're on to San Diego

Status
Not open for further replies.
There have been a number of reports hinting about this. It seems like a very smart move by BB - not only avoiding the wear and tear of flying back and forth, but getting the team together for a week and working in a quiet way on team-building. I think this is the kind of move that could end up paying dividends down the stretch.

I hope Revis does really like it here and truly wants to get a deal done with us

I'm fairly sure Revis does like it here, and would love to get a deal done with us. I'm also fairly sure that he won't be taking a discount.

Pro not...but he;s the best in the biz..why should he? We will have the $$...if they don't pay him our D takes big step down

I didn't say playoff seeding isn't irrelevant, in fact I stated the opposite. I just said that, between SD's brutal schedule and NE's likelihood of winning the East even if they lose this week, SD's H2H tiebreaker has about a 0.3% chance of being meaningful.

If we are going to worry that much, why not be concerned about the Patriots losing all of their remaining games and falling out of the playoffs entirely?

I'm not needling you to be a jerk, I just think we should keep things in proper perspective. Would anyone really be worried about losing a 2 game lead to Miami with 4 to go (and one of those four against Miami in Foxboro) if their seven game win streak was intact? Are they really that much different a team after a single road loss to perhaps the best team in the NFL?

I won't bother to re-post it here, but you said that if we lost to SD the H2H would be irrelevant. Your words.

Your second line sounds silly. The discussion is about the San Diego game and how a loss would make us more vulnerable, definitely against SD and Denver and possibly against Miami, who has already beaten us once and could be only one game behind with a game against us.

The Pats haven't beaten any of their last 4 opponents yet, and it could take only one loss to knock them out of the top spot. That great showing against GB was just a single road loss, but it's still a loss and makes a big difference when the teams chasing the Pats win, which they did.

I won't bother to re-post it here, but you said that if we lost to SD the H2H would be irrelevant. Your words.

Out of context quote is out of context. I suspect you have misunderstood both of my replies so far.

Your second line sounds silly. The discussion is about the San Diego game and how a loss would make us more vulnerable, definitely against SD and Denver and possibly against Miami, who has already beaten us once and could be only one game behind with a game against us.

You are the one who started this whole conversation by saying that you were worried that all NE needed to do is lose the next two games to lose control of the AFCE, I was simply putting that fear in it's proper context.

The Pats haven't beaten any of their last 4 opponents yet, and it could take only one loss to knock them out of the top spot.

Which doesn't contradict anything I've said to date.

You are arguing against points I never made. All I did was point out that your initial post was out of line with actual probabilities.

It is the same ******** here and in the Boston/NE media after every loss. Just ignore the noise.. literally.. press the ignore button..

Right. I remember the noise last year when we were getting ready to beat the Dolphins and take the top seed. How'd that work out?

Out of context quote is out of context. I suspect you have misunderstood both of my replies so far.

Below is your response to my post that SD would have the tiebreaker and move ahead of the Pats, complete with your irrelevant comment;

No they don't. NE would still be the AFCE leader and Denver would still be the AFCW leader making SD's H2H win irrelevant. SD also has the most difficult schedule in the entire league from here on out, so even if NE loses and even if Miami somehow steals the division, SD still is unlikely to end up tied with the Patriots.

And later you came back with...

You are arguing against points I never made. All I did was point out that your initial post was out of line with actual probabilities.

You said that the H2H was irrelevant. That's all that I've ever disagreed with. Of course losing to the Bolts and losing head to head to them is relevant. Quite relevant really.

I'll give you the last word and them I'm done.

You said that the H2H was irrelevant. That's all that I've ever disagreed with. Of course losing to the Bolts and losing head to head to them is relevant. Quite relevant really.

I think I've realized the source of your confusion. You are mistaking my point that SD's H2H tiebreaker advantage would almost certainly never come into play (since it would require that NE not only loses the East, but that SD ends up tied with NE at the end of the year) as me saying that losing to them doesn't affect their playoff seeding.

In fact, if you look at the very next sentence in my original response...

It's a big game for seeding, not really for whether NE makes the playoffs.

As well as this one that clarifies it ever further....

I didn't say playoff seeding is irrelevant, in fact I stated the opposite. I just said that, between SD's brutal schedule and NE's likelihood of winning the East even if they lose this week, SD's H2H tiebreaker has about a 0.3% chance of being meaningful.

As a reminder, this entire conversation started when you said...

If SD wins this home game they move ahead of the Pats.

Last edited:
If the pats lose to the chargers they don't deserve to be the best team (i.e, number 1 seed) in the AFC. San diego is a quality team and if the pats are truly the best they ought to beat them.

Right. I remember the noise last year when we were getting ready to beat the Dolphins and take the top seed. How'd that work out?

That was on the road, and no Gronkey Kong.

If the pats lose to the chargers they don't deserve to be the best team (i.e, number 1 seed) in the AFC. San diego is a quality team and if the pats are truly the best they ought to beat them.
Deserve really has nothing to do with it. Denver doesnt deserve to be #1 either after losing to STL. Its just the record is what it is.

Watching Keenan Allen out there is going to be a bummer with the Dobson to IR news.

Somewhat agree with this. They lose this one...i don't think they get #1. But i don't see them losing this one...one mad team SD will be facing

If they want #1 bad enough..they will get it

Hightower will be out. Report is he was barely moving his arm during the media portion.

Hightower will be out. Report is he was barely moving his arm during the media portion.

Geez...that's going to be a huge loss. That really sucks. Let's hope it's not more than a 1 game injury.

ugh...injuries when we can least afford them. Another game we need to get out healthy. Hightower...Edelman gimpy. At least Jones is close to coming back

ugh...injuries when we can least afford them. Another game we need to get out healthy. Hightower...Edelman gimpy. At least Jones is close to coming back

If this is the team I think they are, they'll respond well with their backs against the wall.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes