PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

We're on to Kansas City

Status
Not open for further replies.
This game will be a piece of cake, Kansas City is a joke.

Is this fo real?:confused: He and Dungy must be doing that synthetic stuff together.

Yup everyone's on the KKK22222 & Fentanylllllll. Prob comes up with this **** while nodding off back stage.

F####IN Irsay is prob supplying them the rat f##k

I post this bc I saw it on Twitter. I don't listen, watch any of that bs besides the games.

For those wondering, the reason Drew gave the coaching edge to Reid is because he has a very good record in games with extra time to prepare (i.e., coming off a bye or a week one game).

Problem with that logic was that MJD neglected to research what Belichick's record was in similar circumstances.

I'm guessing that the program director insisted on the two giving KC a couple of edges in order to hype this game as being a tossup. Drew drew the short stick. Surprised he was able to keep a straight face. Then again, we don't know how many takes they had to film before airing the segment.

For those wondering, the reason Drew gave the coaching edge to Reid is because he has a very good record in games with extra time to prepare (i.e., coming off a bye or a week one game).

Problem with that logic was that MJD neglected to research what Belichick's record was in similar circumstances.

I'm guessing that the program director insisted on the two giving KC a couple of edges in order to hype this game as being a tossup. Drew drew the short stick. Surprised he was able to keep a straight face. Then again, we don't know how many takes they had to film before airing the segment.

Absolutely.

MJD doesn't believe that deep down. This is all scripted for TV to some ******* (me) to react and pass it along. I'm stupid.

Not really relevant...but 50+ million cap space is now 6.2.

Wow.

Looks like it might be raining on Thursday.

My boss is going to the game didn't know about the clownout, when told he laughed and said he would be sure to get a towel and participate.

Best ref in the game.

NFL making a good decision for once. You don't want to have your league's solo opening night showcase, with potentially a very large percentage of NFL fans watching, and have Jerome Boger or Clete Blakeman ruin the game and have the viewers talk about the game for the wrong reasons afterwards.

I actually looked this up once and was surprised to find (if I remember correctly), that BB's record with extra time is actually worse percentage wise than when he has the standard week. I don't remember when I did the math though, so that data could be out of date.

It would make sense on some level though. One of Belichick's greatest strengths is time management, and being able to break things down quickly and efficiently. When going up against a coach who doesn't have enough time to catch up to that, he has an advantage. But the more time you give both coaches, that advantage has diminishing returns.

MJD is still an idiot though.

Since the game breakdown is being covered by far more qualified posters than myself, I'll just take this moment to issue the annual reminder: Week one games are a wonky mess. Teams rosters are still in flux, identities have yet to be established, and as long as the preseason FEELS to us, it isn't enough time to get everyone up to mid-season form.

Weird stuff happens in week one, so take everything that happens in this game (good or bad) with a grain of salt.

I post this bc I saw it on Twitter. I don't listen, watch any of that bs besides the games.

I love how they list things.

It implies defense is equal to your RB or WR stable by themselves. So silly.

I guess they don't want to talk about LBs, DL or DBs... Maybe casual football fans who play fantasy only don't know about defense much.

For what it is worth.

Coaching: Pats
QB: Pats
WR/TE: Pats
RB: Pats
OL: Even (too many question marks on both sides to give one a clear edge)
DL: KC (I put Houston here more than LB even though he is listed as such. Really more of a DE who just plays off sometimes)
LB: Pats
DB: Pats

Looking at this you think the Pats clearly outclasses KC and to an extent they do but it isn't like that.

The Pats win at Coaching, RB, and DB but they are close wins. Reid isn't BB but he tends to know what he is doing besides clock management. They have questions at RB but so do the Pats and both units look promising. The Pats win DB due to depth and injures on KC but they are both still top 5 units. The one spot KC wins they win more decisively than any other spot (Besides QB).

Of course if they show the Pats only losing in one or 2 areas it will look like too much of a difference and will lose drama for the opener.

I don't expect this to be a game decided in the final 2 minutes but it should be a good contest that is competitive at least most of the way through.

This game will be a piece of cake, Kansas City is a joke.

I wouldn't say piece of cake. KC is a good team.

I heard it said and think it is true. KC is the team that beats bad and average teams along with pretenders and gets beat by good teams. Basically they are the NFL's measuring stick to if you are legit or not. Beat KC and you are legit. Lose and you aren't. KC themselves till they get a QB are the king of pretenders and rule over all the rest of them with an iron fist.

I am curious how their games vs Houston, Denver and NYG play out. It will tell us a lot about where those teams stand.

I'm surprised there are not more predictions out there yet, but I suppose that is due to the combination of this being a Thursday rather than Sunday game, Labor Day weekend just finished, and the season having not started yet.

Here's one:

NFL Week 1 picks: Patriots pound Chiefs in opener, Chargers upset Broncos

It's probably also worth noting that Bill Belichick is 5-1 all time against Andy Reid (including the playoffs), with Belichick's only loss coming in that famous "We're on to Cincinnati" game in 2014. The Chiefs won that game 41-14 and I have a feeling Belichick is still bitter about it because he seems like a guy who would be bitter about a loss like that for several years.

Belichick will probably be less bitter about the 2014 loss if his team crushes the Chiefs on Thursday, and that's exactly what I think is going to happen.

The pick: Patriots 31-17 over Chiefs

I'm surprised there are not more predictions out there yet, but I suppose that is due to the combination of this being a Thursday rather than Sunday game, Labor Day weekend just finished, and the season having not started yet.

Here's one:

NFL Week 1 picks: Patriots pound Chiefs in opener, Chargers upset Broncos

It's probably also worth noting that Bill Belichick is 5-1 all time against Andy Reid (including the playoffs), with Belichick's only loss coming in that famous "We're on to Cincinnati" game in 2014. The Chiefs won that game 41-14 and I have a feeling Belichick is still bitter about it because he seems like a guy who would be bitter about a loss like that for several years.

Belichick will probably be less bitter about the 2014 loss if his team crushes the Chiefs on Thursday, and that's exactly what I think is going to happen.

The pick: Patriots 31-17 over Chiefs

Bill will think about that loss until he dies.

In 2017 its like it was yesterday to him.

The Pats will have three new guys starting or likely getting significant snaps on defense - Gilmore, Harris and Guy - and possibly (rookie) Wise as a fourth.

On offense, they'll have at least three new skill-position players - Cooks, Allen, Gillislee - and possibly Burkhead as a fourth.

No matter how good these guys may be individually, it may take a couple-three REAL games for them all to get completely integrated in terms of timing and communication.

While I'm sure that KC will have similar issues, the Pats are likely to have their share of misfires, and I don't think KC is a "weak" team by any stretch. Not likely to be a Pats' blowout, and I wouldn't prefer that. Being well-challenged and having to gut out a relatively close win is probably better for the team in the long run.

On defense, double Tyreek Hill and don't give Hunt many easy running lanes and KC should be relatively dead in the water. Smith may hurt them with his feet and Kelce may have a decent day, but I can't see them scoring more than 17 against the Patriots if those two are contained.

Offensively, if the Chiefs are going to play the same amount of zone as they did toward the end of 2016, this will be an easy night of work for the offense assuming the OL can keep their rush off Brady and seal off the A and B-gaps.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe