PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

We're on to Kansas City

Status
Not open for further replies.

BobDigital

Pro Bowl Player
Reaction score
Still some cut downs and other spring cleaning to be done but we have a fairly good idea of theirs and ours 46 game day roster.

Should be a good test against a good but not great team.

QB looks to be Alex Smith who while not dangerous doesn't tend to give the game away. Coach Andy Reid is smart with play design and scheme but notoriously bad with the game clock and general game management.

The weapons on offense start with Kelce who is probably the 2nd most dangerous TE in the NFL next to Gronk though he is good for maybe 1 stupid flag a game. Hill is a dangerous return man. Our STs punt and kickoff units did great last year but need to be on point game 1. That to me is what makes this game dangerous. Facing maybe the most dangerous return man off the bat. They get a free TD from him or a few big returns and this will become very close. As a WR he is more talented than refined but with the ball in his hands he is dangerous. Their WR and TE depth behind those 2 isn't that scary. If there was someone else to worry about it be Chris Connolly making another jump after having a solid 2nd year but that is a maybe. Losing Ware is huge for a team that likes to play like it is 1970. Their best option behind him is the unproven but talented rookie Hunt. A big wildcard in this game but the Pats tend to stop the run fairly well. He can catch out of the backfield some but not a super threat there likely. He will be hard to bring down with an arm tackle. Tackling needs to be on point for him. The OL is okay but has seen better days. It is young and inexperienced but talented. It will be better week 16 than week 1.

Generally the offense lives off good field positioning and a few big plays to score what it can though.

The D is the much more dangerous side of the ball as we all know. Dee Ford and Houston should be a fearsome combo on the edge. Hali is a good 3rd rotational Vet pass rusher so they will be relentless. Solder will get a hard first game. I do have confidence in Cannon to be ready to go though. The secondary is solid with Peters and Berry. On the whole the D had the 3rd best defensive passer rating last year. Peters is a risk taker though and I think Cooks might be able to exploit it if Brady can thread a tough one in and go long. Their pass rush is legit but the run D is a big concern on the team. It wasn't good last year and I don't think they did much to improve it. Though the D has a lot of talent on it the leader is the often forgotten Derrick Johnson who is a vet and tackling machine. Being 34 though you wonder huh much the MLB has left.

There is much more to talk about than this but it is a good start. Your thoughts?

Last edited:
Should be a good test. Stopping the run will be key.
I suspect taking Hill away will be priority number one. After that, they'll focus on Hunt, who looks promising. I think Hunt will put together a good first half against the Pats defense, but then they adjust and pull away in the second half.

The header sends out an unnecessary fright....

We are not going to Kansas City. This is a home game, and I think this is very comforting since it's the first game of the year and it's against a strong opponent.

Take away the deep ball from Hill and they should be sitting pretty. Their D is good..but we have the upper hand there with all the miss matches

Smith is average at best and on 3rd and 7 will usually throw for 4 yards..the Smith special

We are not going to Kansas City. This is a home game, and I think this is very comforting since it's the first game of the year and it's against a strong opponent.

Just mirroring the way BB talks is all. He always says "we're on to xxxxxx" and names the city of the team not the symbol. I don't think most people took it to mean it is not a home game. We all know it is I am fairly sure.

Kelce is perhaps the biggest ****head in the NFL, after Burfickt.

What a complete jerk. The mocking of Brady pregame, the idiotic flag in a tight 4th quarter that he throws at refs to get him kicked out of a game his team needed - - then he showboats on the sidelines with the fans before walking off the field.....and much more.

Still 5 days away - - plenty of time for the league office to issue a change,,,,,,,, ;)

Lots of rain incoming for the game. I am more worried about the pregame stuff that they want to do than anything for #5

Looking forward to seeing this early & often on Thursday night. Don't care who the players are, as long as the teams match up ;)

IMG_0764.JPG

Can we pin a "What they're saying in Kansas City" thread??

Please post any links about opening night vs. the Chiefs in this thread, thank you.

I would assume most of the conversation among all 32 team fan bases and the media outlets that cater to them is currently focused on roster cutdowns and practice squad signings. That should change in the next 24-48 hours.

For the moment there is this, from the primary Chiefs fan forum:

Chiefs vs Patriots predictions - ChiefsPlanet

You mean you don't want a separate freak out thread for each and every individual KC media outlet that dares put out an article that says the home town team might have a chance?

Here are a few other articles I found.

Chiefs' Alex Smith ready for season opener in New England

Andy Reid has maintained all offseason that Alex Smith is the starting quarterback of the Kansas City Chiefs, even while Patrick Mahomes II was lighting up defenses during four preseason games.

Chiefs general manager Brett Veach explained precisely why this weekend.

“Alex is so far advanced from the mental side,” he said, “in regards to his ability to read coverages, to shift to better plays and really play the chess game. He’s so far ahead of what Pat is.”​

Ignore the title, this has some decent non-fantasy football insight about the Chiefs:

Why Chiefs' Kareem Hunt is worth all the fantasy football hype

And while Reid’s West Coast offense isn’t particularly run-heavy — they amassed 412 carries in 2016, right in the middle of the pack — it’s a balanced offense, which will keep defenses on their toes (they’ll have to pay attention to Tyreek Hill and Travis Kelce) instead of stacking the box....

This is one (offensive) line that I could very well see sneaking into the top 10 by the end of the season. It’s still a very young line that saw all five players be at least average by the end of 2016. Though he had a rough start to his career, former No. 1 overall pick Eric Fisher has steadily improved every season.

Chiefs place pass-rusher Tamba Hali on PUP list with unspecified injury

Hali has yet to practice or play during training camp and the preseason, but the Chiefs have not disclosed exactly what injury is keeping him on the sidelines. After being placed on the PUP list, he will have to sit out at least the first six games, after which the Chiefs will have a three-week window during which to activate him for a game.​

Chiefs solve short-term running back quandry with familiar face

In the span of 24 hours, both coach Andy Reid and general manager Brett Veach were quizzed about the Chiefs’ unusual running back situation, as they stood with only two traditional tailbacks — Kareem Hunt and Charcandrick West — following the 53-man roster deadline on Saturday.

Both Reid and Veach hinted that the Chiefs weren’t done yet, and on Sunday that proved to be the case when the team re-signed running back C.J. Spiller just one day after cutting him.

Spiller, 30, has flashed signs of his old, lightning-fast self throughout the preseason as he noted multiple times that he finally feels healthy after two injury-marred years. He consistently showed the ability to catch passes out of the backfield and create in the open field, which made his cutdown-day release such a surprise.​

New Mexico sues Chiefs owner Clark Hunt, alleging kickbacks in $300 million investment

Kansas City Chiefs owner Clark Hunt secured hundreds of millions in state investment money through a kickback deal tied to former New Mexico Gov. Bill Richardson’s administration, the state claims in a lawsuit.

The lawsuit contends that Hunt agreed to a “pay to play” arrangement 12 years ago with political insiders Anthony and Marc Correra. In exchange for kickbacks, the Correras were to use their influence to steer state investment money to a hedge fund firm in which Hunt was a partner.​

http://deadspin.com/why-your-team-sucks-2017-kansas-city-chiefs-1798659162

I wanna take you back to that Steelers game for the moment, because it was the most Chiefs loss possible. Every time I think the Chiefs can’t lose in Chiefs-ier fashion, they outdo themselves. Remember that they postponed that game due to an ice storm, and remember that the Steelers didn’t score a single touchdown that night and still won anyway. And then, remember this…​

Pats vs. Chiefs News & Updates

Excellent

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick