PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Well Done. No Excuses here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

LT=MVP

On the Roster
Reaction score
Domination on both sides of the ball. Great game. IMO the Pats are the team to beat this year. Scary good. The Brady/Moss connection could be HUGE for you guys. Seau seemed inspired to beat his old team thats for sure.

Grats!

Many of you saw the game last year. Now this debacle. In your opinion do you think San Diego's regression is due to the new coaching staff? With the same team pretty much intact I am finding it hard to figure out why this team is struggling so much. From what I saw last night we'll be lucky to make the playoffs. :(

Good luck the rest of the year.

Domination on both sides of the ball. Great game. IMO the Pats are the team to beat this year. Scary good. The Brady/Moss connection could be HUGE for you guys. Seau seemed inspired to beat his old team thats for sure.

Grats!

Many of you saw the game last year. Now this debacle. In your opinion do you think San Diego's regression is due to the new coaching staff? With the same team pretty much intact I am finding it hard to figure out why this team is struggling so much. From what I saw last night we'll be lucky to make the playoffs. :(

It'll take time to get the new regime all set.

You guys will win that division easily. The Broncos should be 0-2 (and to awful teams no less).

What should worry you is the defense, not the offense. Offense takes time under a new system. I didn't see much diffence in the defense, but the secondary was terrible.

Grats!

i think the coaching has a lot to do with it. Plus when you are a good team,the coming years become difficult. More teams will try and go after your secondary i think and thats something worth watching.
And as a personal opinion- the players really have to find the reasons themselves instead of the coaches. i heard LT say something that they are still adjusting to Norv's offense and how wants its etc or something to that effect. Quite frankly he shouldnt be saying it out there , kinda can depress the whole team and also looks like blaming someone else. Its a matter of growing up.Cant blame norv for not blocking or throwing INT's. Although when i heard in pre game the extent to which he went to protect his playbook and all that stuff really made me laugh - i think it distracted the chargers more than the pats. Norv should be careful of protecting his playcalls etc ALWAYS- not because he is in foxboro.

Grats!

LT = MVP what do you make of the play of the Chargers O-Line this year so far? I'm not sure LT is to blame for his lack of running yards. The O-Line doesn't seem to be creating the same opportunities. Even the pass protection doesn't look as good as last year.

The WR Davis needs to improve quickly. Put an outside threat on the Chargers O with Gates and LT and they'll be hard to stop. Also the silly penalties on the D need to be cut out. See the Roughing the Passer call last night. They hit Brady really late - just a silly penalty to give away.

The Chargers will still be in the playoffs this year.

Thanks for being a good sport about it. I'll TRY to be constructive with my criticism of San Diego here, for your sake. When I look at the Chargers I see a LOT of talent, some superstars and proven players HOWEVER your team needs veteran leadership like I need a lapdance from Jessica Alba. You probably have lots of veterans, but who are your spokespersons? Rivers, Merriman and LT. 3 ****y, talented young players who don't have much respect for their opponent apparently. Hopefully games like last night's serving of humble pie will help steer them in the right direction, for your sake.

As for coaching- it's like the kids run the school. They do what they want, say what they want and there's not much belief in the coach's system (Schotty or Turner). When I look at the Chargers they don't have a lot of self-respect, they just respect ridiculing other teams. The Pats are the antithesis of the Chargers, probably why SD thinks so poorly about us. The word "immature" will be linked to the Chargers for a long time until they learn to shut up, line up and play.

I think the turnover in the coaching position is affecting the team, but an offensive whiz like Turner should have that side of the ball down. It's a long season, a lot can change, but fortunately for you your only competition in the division is barely squeaking by some mediocre teams. Good luck to you and hope you guys break out your winter gear for a return trip to Foxboro in January ;)

Grats!

LY=MVP,

Thanks for your post.

I see two major problems with San Diego.

1) The GM (AJ Smith?) does not understand that he has to put personal bias aside and manage in a way that sets the team up to win. I am no Marty Schottenheimer fan. I think he chokes in big games going back to Cleveland and KC, but you really have to give a guy who went 14-2 a chance to try and build on that success, don't you?

And then to bring in a coach with a .400 winning % to replace him?

This move confounded me. As a Pats fan, I was glad they did it, but as a football fan, I just didn't get it.

2) LaDanian Tomlinson (I refuse to call him "LT" because in my mind, there was - and is - only one "LT" and he played LB for Giants) and Philip Rivers need to grow up a little. They spend a lot of time making comments about this and that and filming nice intros for the Sunday night game getting out of limos and such and such.

But they do not seem determined to get their heads screwed on in such a way that they are willing to make the sacrifices needed to stay focused on the task at hand. Their physical tools are not in question. It's the old "Bull Durham" thing: "a million dollar arm and .10 cent head".

And this may be partially beause they are young and immature and it may have to do with how they have been coached, but there is just something missing with those two.

They both have tremndous talent and should be leaders on that team, but all they lead is the making excuses and whining and complaining.

There was a story from last night's game - and I don't know if it is true because I was no there - but if it is, you, as a Bolts fan HAVE to be concerned.

The story was that with Chargers get torn a new sphinxter, some Pats fans were hassling Rivers on the San Diego bench from the stands. Rivers responded by pretending to count his money, as if to say to the fans, "I make more money than you, you losers."

Which is an overt sign that this kid measures success by his paycheck.

In New England, we measure success in championships.

Last edited:
LT thanks for the post.

I thought Turner's play calling was really suspect last night but I think your offense has the issue ours had last year. Your WRs cannot spread the field. Jackson had a decent game and Gates is a beast but after that Davis is a rookie and then not much. Not sure when/if Parker will be back but he'll certainly help.

Good luck going foward I'm sure we'll see you again this year.

#1 problem: coaching

#2 problem: player's attitude. Too overconfident, bought this idea that they have all the talent in the world, therefore...

#3 problem: Rivers. Sorry, I don't believe in him. Brees is better. Though that doesn't mean he can't win it all. After all Ben R. at Pitt won, and he is shaky as well. Although I think Ben R. is a better QB than Rivers.

LT = MVP what do you make of the play of the Chargers O-Line this year so far? I'm not sure LT is to blame for his lack of running yards. The O-Line doesn't seem to be creating the same opportunities. Even the pass protection doesn't look as good as last year.

The WR Davis needs to improve quickly. Put an outside threat on the Chargers O with Gates and LT and they'll be hard to stop. Also the silly penalties on the D need to be cut out. See the Roughing the Passer call last night. They hit Brady really late - just a silly penalty to give away.

The Chargers will still be in the playoffs this year.

Yeah I completely agree that late hit was STUPID. Wasn't that on a 3rd down that would have resulted in a punt? As for the O line I think you're absolutely right. Seems Rivers isn't getting any time or even a good pocket to stand in. Same with the running lanes. They just aren't there. It seems there's no real flow to the offense.

I was pretty pissed about the play call to pass on 3rd and 1. Why? Then look at the result pick for a TD. Just terrible IMO.

I am very concerned. I just hope Norville can right this ship, because what I've seen in two games scares me.

Last edited:

Grats!

Awfully kind of you thanks........ and I'll a comment or two as well.

Obviously, you guy's are still adjusting to Turner (who is not a very good coach IMO), and it shows. But I wouldn't walk off the ledge yet. You were beat by a MUCH better team, that exposed and exploited the things that you are struggling with right now.

You are not the the only team that will not be able to figure this offense out. Okay? We have, arguably one of the best QB's ever, and he now has toy's he's never had before. I guess what I'm saying, the loss might not be so much about what you guys did, but what WE did.

Fix some of the sloppy play, focus on fundamentals and you have have the talent to be successful this year and will be fine.

........... and YES, you guys are in DESPERATE need of veteran leadership. Your current leaders {at least visible leaders} are embarrassing and making you look bad. For LT to say "we'd beat them 9 out of 10 times" the night before a contest is just stupid, even if you're playing a team where it might be true, let alone one of the best teams in the league.

Also,

I commend BB on bringing in Moss. Everyone in the league had written him off. Those 2 years in Oakland must have been painful for Randy. Interesting what happens when you get a QB that can actually get you the ball.

That Brady/Moss connection is only going to get better. Question. I swear I read pre season that there was talk of Moss getting cut??? That had to be just pure speculation and or BS.

Grats!

I'll be honest. Its their egos. With leaders like LdT, Rivers and Merriman, you have 3 guys who think its their RIGHT to win. The team I saw last night acted as if they just had to show up and the Pats would keel over in awe. That the Chargers wouldn't actually have to give an effort.

Merriman continued to prove his arrogance with his stupid celebrating while down 24-0.

Unfortunately, the Chargers don't have any veteran leadership the way the Pats do. The Pats have established guys (Bruschi, Vrabel, Brady, Troy Brown, Richard Seymour, etc) who RUN the locker-room. Willie McGinest was like the godfather when he was here. If you messed up, he took you aside and let you know it. That's been taken over by the others.

Even Junior Seau has come in and meshed with this team lock, stock and barrel. In fact, Seau has meshed so well, the TEAM made him a captain. And then there's Rodney, who is also a team leader.

Leadership isn't over-rated. Its KEY. And the Chargers don't have enough of it.

A good leader would have pulled Merriman aside and told him to chill. Same with LdT and Rivers.

Rivers will never be a good QB until he can learn to control his emotions. They dominate him. Because they do, he's easily rattled.

Honestly, I think the 9-7 season back in 2002 was one of the best things for the Patriots, because it knocked them down a peg and made them realize they have to show up game in and game out.

I don't know if the players on San Diego are mature enough to learn that lesson. And I don't think that Turner is a good enough coach to teach them.

Also,

I commend BB on bringing in Moss. Everyone in the league had written him off. Those 2 years in Oakland must have been painful for Randy. Interesting what happens when you get a QB that can actually get you the ball.

That Brady/Moss connection is only going to get better. Question. I swear I read pre season that there was talk of Moss getting cut??? That had to be just pure speculation and or BS.

The media creates stories where there aren't any. My view is that they don't get any information from BB so they create them in the hopes that the Patriots have to come out with a response. I think it kills them that the Pats are so tight-lipped. The media does not understand BB. They didn't understand the Randy Moss move at all.

Here's my take on it. BB has a degree in economics. If you pay attention, he applies it to everything. He places a value on something and looks for bargins. While the league was afraid to take chances on people with pasts because of Pac Man, BB saw an undervalued stock and bought it. That's the way he's always been. Buy low, sell high. Keep your blue chips for security and stability and add pieces. The media is too dumb to understand this so they write articles about "how the Patriots lost their way". This has always been the Patriot way. It's call smart business without emotional attachment.

Last edited:

Grats!

We took a step back after losing our DC and OC - and NOT our head coach.

As many of us said in the offseason, it would be silly to think that the Chargers wouldn't take a step back after losing their OC, DC, several other assistants, AND their Head Coach.

It's unfortunate for your team that the decision to keep then fire Shottenheimer was so badly botched, but no use crying over spilt milk.

Another loss might be the best thing for the Chargers - seems like they are VERY fond of smack talk and showboating, and putting far too much energy into that.

They should shut up and let their actions on the field do the talking. No doubt the Pats celebration last year was out of character... but they waited until AFTER the game, and only did it because of the lack of respect illustrated by the Chargers, mocking their showboating and smacktalk.

LT and the entire team simply need to shut up and do their jobs.

Last edited:
Actually, I think Marty is a good coach. I'm not sure what the deal is with the playoffs. It's like he forgets how to coach but if I were a building team, he would be on the list of guys I would want.

Also,

BB is like Red Auerbach..he lets rumors float if someone starts it and doesnt confirm and deny it because it helps other people waste their time and effects them psychologically. Thats probably the case here too..someone started the rumor and BB didnt confirm or deny it.

Thanks for posting.
It's like everyone is saying, leadership. I'm residing in Chicago and all week I'm reading qoutes from Charger players dissing Bear players, wtf? Its not like the Chargers whipped them and not like LT scorched them. Yet, the Chargers mocked the Bears qb and running back. Then, its on to New England where LT states the Chargers would beat the Patriots 9 out of 10. Don't know if he really said that, if not, he should have made a statement to correct. On top of having a leathal club (Patriots), opposing players really piss them off with dumb comments. Norv Turner is a good, maybe even a really good O.C. He was with Dallas during their run, and that is the basis for his getting HC jobs. Come on, Aikman (HOF) Irvin (HOF) Smith (HOF), I guess anyone of 500 OC could win with them. Then you have Rivera, there is a reason why he was fired from the Bears. The season isn't lost for you guys, but your not coming back to New England and winning come playoff time. You can take that to the bank.

Another Chargers fan here to give credit to the Pats. The patriots dominated the game, I expected more from the Chargers, even on the road in NE, Thomas and Moss are great additions to your team. Luckily it is still early in the season, Norv Turner is taking a big bashing back in Chargerland. Any ways, props to NE, hopefully we get anothe shot at you in the playoffs.:eat3:

Grats!

I'm living in Redskin country, and am sorry to say, it's Norv. He's not a head coach. I have met the man, and think the world of him. Pure Class. Nice guy. Great offensive coordinator. Not that good of a head coach.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe