PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Welker's mustache explained!

Status
Not open for further replies.

rockthecasbah

Practice Squad Player
Reaction score
Many of you may have been wondering about that... thing growing on Welker's face. Here's the story behind it:

A HAIRY SITUATION: After Sunday’s win, the only ugliness coming out of the Patriots locker is Wes Welker’s mustache.

Even his parents want Welker to shave it. But the baby-faced Welker said he is committed to the fuzz after a teammate backed off from doing the same.

Before a recent couples dinner with teammates, Patriots backup quarterback Matt Cassel told Welker he was sporting a mustache. Welker decided to counter Cassel’s "surprise" by growing one of his own.

"We start talking at dinner and the next thing you know it’s, ‘We’re keeping ’em! We’re keeping the mustaches!" Welker said.

Such unity didn’t last long. Cassel shaved shortly after the dinner because of what Welker says was pressure from his wife.

"He has to go home to her every night, so he got, ‘Either the mustache goes or ‘it’ goes,’" Welker said. "He totally wussed out. I’m still rocking it, living up to my end of the bargain.

"Being a teammate and a friend, you would think he would step up. It just shows you what kind of guy he is."

Cassel, though, says there’s more to the story than what Welker is letting on.

"Like what happens with any style when someone is the originator, other people want to jump on your bandwagon," Cassel said. "After a lot of people do it, it becomes uncool. When Wes started making it commonly known among the team that maybe wearing a mustache was cool, I had to change it up again.

"The fact is, yes, maybe the wife wanted to kiss me in a different manner. But I definitely would have to say it’s more due to the fact I want to be a lone star. I don’t like to have company when I sport a mustache. I didn’t want to be that guy where people say, ‘Oh, Wes Welker has a mustache. Matt Cassel has one, too.’"

Cassel does admit Welker grew a better mustache.

"It’s probably bigger than he is," Cassel said.

I love hearing all these little stories that show how the guys on this team have great relationships with each other and have fun.

And here I thought he grew it because he had one on Madden 08. :eek:

Haha, I knew there had to be some story behind that thing.

I'll now be able to enjoy it now though. Keep it going Wes.

"He has to go home to her every night, so he got, ‘Either the mustache goes or ‘it’ goes,’" Welker said. "He totally wussed out. I’m still rocking it, living up to my end of the bargain.

"Being a teammate and a friend, you would think he would step up. It just shows you what kind of guy he is."

Cassel, though, says there’s more to the story than what Welker is letting on.

"Like what happens with any style when someone is the originator, other people want to jump on your bandwagon," Cassel said. "After a lot of people do it, it becomes uncool. When Wes started making it commonly known among the team that maybe wearing a mustache was cool, I had to change it up again.

"The fact is, yes, maybe the wife wanted to kiss me in a different manner. But I definitely would have to say it’s more due to the fact I want to be a lone star. I don’t like to have company when I sport a mustache. I didn’t want to be that guy where people say, ‘Oh, Wes Welker has a mustache. Matt Cassel has one, too.’"

:confused:

Are there supposedly obvious euphemisms I'm missing here?

Last edited:
Its probably bigger then he is, Cassel said.

Great line LOL

Cassel seems like a funny guy, he had some shenanigans with Brady last year too (or was it 2 years ago?)

I did not know he was married, surprised to see that, because I bumped into him at Baseball Tavern earlier this year and he appeared to be... having a good time.

Cassel seems like a funny guy, he had some shenanigans with Brady last year too (or was it 2 years ago?)

I did not know he was married, surprised to see that, because I bumped into him at Baseball Tavern earlier this year and he appeared to be... having a good time.

oops, lets hope he got married AFTER that eh?

u think his wife visits the boards? :eek:

I think that thing on welkers lip is alive :p

It doesn't really fit him.. but perhaps he should grow it into one of those monstrous ones that curl on the cheeks. :p
welkerstache_big.jpg

Last edited:

I hope the wife doesn't visit the forum, you could start WWIII and they don't even know you... :eek:

He needs to get the Fu Manchu going!

The injury report has been updated:

Limited practice: Matt Cassel (A.S.S injury)

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News