Welcome Nate Washington

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nice, but does he have good hands?

anigif_enhanced-buzz-1184-1386179838-7.gif

w90V5ba.gif

Nasty

Last edited:
Why so lukewarm? Nearly 700 yards on an awful team, solid vet, looking to him as, what, a 4th option who could bring something to the table that others receivers don't have?

No guarantees, but that feels a lot better than a 50% shot to me.

He turns 33 this August.

That's not the full link. I'd also like to point out the positions are very often arbitrary on that site, and it has nothing to do with what the team says the players are. They're probably paying minimum wage to an intern about my age (20) to keep that roster updated.

An extension for Collins does require a healthy raise. I wouldn't want him to sniff free agency. You
vastly over-rate DA. You're describing Edelman. Not Amendola.

I am describing Amendola. He had one of the best Catch % in football at 75%, Washington one of the worst at 50%. He is also a 4 down player, Washington isn't, he has Brady's trust, and he can replace Edelman when he's out, Washington doesn't.

50/50 he makes the team. Let's not get too excited folks.

I agree that we should temper expectations. I'd apply that to Hogan and Bennett, as well as to Washington, for that matter.

However, I don't think any of them (and this refers mostly to Washington in terms of a direct comparison) are cooked to the degree that we've seen with guys like Holt and Jenkins.

This signing just wiped the smile off Aaron Dropson's face because even at 33 Nate Washing is better than a 25 year old Dropson. Love the Signing and also love his catch average...we should be able to get a Rookie WR via the Draft who can stretch the D.

Because he's not a 2 and he doesn't replace Amendola he will battle Dobson. He's a good outside receiver with questionable hands, not an interior receiver with great hands.

Battle Dobson? somehow that image made me laugh. Nate really does battle for the ball. Dobson?...

Nate seems like a good fit [different type of receiver] and a good receiver. Just hope he has some tread on those tires.

Really deep receiver corps right now.
Edelman, Hogan, Martin, Washington, Amendola, Dobson, Harper. Assume at least one more rookie.
They can only keep a max of five true receivers plus Slater. If the Pats use one of the four second or third-round picks, you have to assume that player is a lock. That yields four from the list above.
But what it sets up is a deep roster that should yield returns late in the season. Unless three go down for the season, the Pats won't be dependent upon mid-season street free agent pick-ups or undrafted rookies. The Patriots should enter the winter with multiple veterans experienced in their system.

Like the risk reward ratio on this one. He knows the system somewhat from last year in Houston, seems to have been a consistent producer throughout his career and a read a few things that he was well respected in Tennessee's locker room.

FWIW he was 1 for 4 for 49 yds against the Pats last year. If my memory is correct, Butler was all over him that game.

Nate seems like a good fit [different type of receiver] and a good receiver. Just hope he has some tread on those tires.

I'm fine with bringing Washington in for depth and competition but imo the idea that he will replace Amendola is foolish. Had they brought in a guy like Tavon Austin then I would see it as getting ready to release Amendola over salary but Washington is a very different player and I see him as there to compete with Dobson and Martin. Now they could still use a relatively high pick at WR but I doubt it will be for the slot.

I agree that we should temper expectations. I'd apply that to Hogan and Bennett, as well as to Washington, for that matter.

However, I don't think any of them (and this refers mostly to Washington in terms of a direct comparison) are cooked to the degree that we've seen with guys like Holt and Jenkins.
Apart from the idea that one should always temper expectations (and maybe that's all you're saying) why temper them for Bennett? I can see nothing but upside there.

Although full disclosure, I was excited about Scott Chandler.

If the offensive line can improve under Scar, if Cooper pans out, if Washington is at least as good for NE as he was last year for Houston, if Lewis comes back fully healthy, and assuming Bennett pans out as we all expect, this offense is going to be downright scary. Washington can threaten outside and make the opponent defend the back end of the field, but Edelman, Gronk, Bennett and Lewis can all beat one-on-one matchups with relative ease. Yikes.

Apart from the idea that one should always temper expectations (and maybe that's all you're saying) why temper them for Bennett? I can see nothing but upside there.

Although full disclosure, I was excited about Scott Chandler.

Bennett's history is all about "buyer beware". His years in Dallas were disastrous, he let his weight get up to 295 in the offseason of his one NYG season, he got suspended by the Bears for an attack on a teammate, the Bears spent 2 seasons trying to get rid of him before NE finally bit on a trade, and he hasn't yet learned the fine art of shutting the hell up.

There's no question that he's a physical specimen, but that hasn't generally translated onto the field in a way you might expect. Yes, he's had a 90 catch season, but that was on a 5-11 team, so it didn't translate to wins or points (23rd in NFL scoring, despite BM tallying 61 catches, MF racking up 102, and AJ getting 85 on top of Bennett's 90).

My recommendation for Bennett, in terms of impact, can probably best be summed up like this:

Hope for domination
Expect mediocrity/acceptability/quality
Prepare for disappointment
Have an exit plan for disaster

I like the trade, given the available alternatives, but I look at it while accepting that his history demonstrates that he could fall anywhere on the above spectrum.

Bennett's history is all about "buyer beware". His years in Dallas were disastrous, he let his weight get up to 295 in the offseason of his one NYG season, he got suspended by the Bears for an attack on a teammate, the Bears spent 2 seasons trying to get rid of him before NE finally bit on a trade, and he hasn't yet learned the fine art of shutting the hell up.

There's no question that he's a physical specimen, but that hasn't generally translated onto the field in a way you might expect. Yes, he's had a 90 catch season, but that was on a 5-11 team, so it didn't translate to wins or points (23rd in NFL scoring, despite BM tallying 61 catches, MF racking up 102, and AJ getting 85 on top of Bennett's 90).

My recommendation for Bennett, in terms of impact, can probably best be summed up like this:

Hope for domination
Expect mediocrity/acceptability/quality
Prepare for disappointment
Have an exit plan for disaster

I like the trade, given the available alternatives, but I look at it while accepting that his history demonstrates that he could fall anywhere on the above spectrum.

Fair enough. I guess I'm just looking at his strong on-field performance with the Bears, and counting that his "locker room poison" schtick will be held in check here, as usually seems to happen ( I think Haynesworth was one of the few to continue to be a nightmare when he got here, but he sucked on the field too). But no guarantee for sure.

Gronk and Edelman along with number 12 will keep mr Bennett in check I am not concerned at all about that.

If the offensive line can improve under Scar, if Cooper pans out, if Washington is at least as good for NE as he was last year for Houston, if Lewis comes back fully healthy, and assuming Bennett pans out as we all expect, this offense is going to be downright scary. Washington can threaten outside and make the opponent defend the back end of the field, but Edelman, Gronk, Bennett and Lewis can all beat one-on-one matchups with relative ease. Yikes.

Bill Belichick:

"If 'ifs and buts' were candy and nuts, every day would be Christmas."

:D

I don't believe there will be any issues with Bennett other than how much it Will cost to keep him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe