PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Welbourn signed, Norwell cut

Status
Not open for further replies.
I seem to remember Welbourn being part of some pretty good offensive lines. Wasn't he on that Chiefs team with Trent Green and Priest Holmes that scored a million points that one year? If he was the weak link on that line, I'll still take him.

People who are worried about the Pats' o-line are overreacting to a) the usual training camp paranoia about injuries and b) the Superbowl. The Pats have plenty of guys to get the job done. Even against teams with great pass rushes like San Diego and Indy they held up fine last year. They just ran into a runaway train against New York. Everything I've heard about Welbourn suggests he's a league-average type player, won't kill you, and we can always use a guy like that backing up.

Not really. I think the tone of most of my posts would indicate I expect very little from this signing. But I won't willfully ignore the fact that there is a chance he could be a reserve. Anything is possible. I'd put it 90/10.

Sorry if my POV isn't extremist enough for you; but I prefer shades of gray.

I can count on one hand the passionate opinions I have expressed on this board:

1. Keeping Gaffney over Caldwell. Fairly epic 9,000-page thread that I was thankfully proved correct on. :)

2. Heath Evans is worthless carrying the football and the Pats needed a proper RB3 who could carry the load in an emergency. (Hopefully got this in Jordan.)

3. Designating a roster spot exclusively for a long-snapper is a waste. A backup TE should be able to do this capably. Unfortunately, I don't think I'll ever get my wish with this one ... :(

I am not passionate about this signing but he does have a good shot-so we agree. :D

Welbourne is a veteran starter in this league. He should be competitive with Yates and Hochstein for reps at RG if Neal cannot start. How can this signing be anything but good news? And of course it is just possible that he could beat out Yates or Hochstein for a spot even if Neal can start.

3. Designating a roster spot exclusively for a long-snapper is a waste. A backup TE should be able to do this capably. Unfortunately, I don't think I'll ever get my wish with this one ... :(

How many times have you heard Lonie Paxton named called out in game because he has screwed up? Every one of those big kicks that is made required an accurate snap. The pressure of an accurate snap in close to the goal line is incredible. I have studied longsnapping (both my sons were longsnappers in HS and College). If you have a situation where you are fortunate enough to have a Mike Bartrum that can play TE as well, thats a bonus. How much MLB did Steve DeOssie play for the Giants, yet he had a long career as a longsnapper.

I have a better suggestion ... lets make the Longsnapper a 3rd TE

Another reason I like this signing, everyone in the league is looking for OL it seems.

http://www.lombardionfootball.com/

6. The Patriots are having a difficult time gaining depth for their offensive line, having to sign Barry Stokes first and now John Welborne. It will be interesting to watch their line play during the preseason. The Pats will be active claiming players this summer and as a 16-win team last year, will claim more than the teams who won 4 and 5 games. Amazing, right?

10. It seems like there are a lot of teams looking for offensive lineman this time of the year, more than normal.

That would be interesting.

I agree, I think this is a good "waste" of roster space. Paxton has elite skills, we just take them for granted because they don't get replays and spotlights.

How many times have you heard Lonie Paxton named called out in game because he has screwed up? Every one of those big kicks that is made required an accurate snap. The pressure of an accurate snap in close to the goal line is incredible. I have studied longsnapping (both my sons were longsnappers in HS and College). If you have a situation where you are fortunate enough to have a Mike Bartrum that can play TE as well, thats a bonus. How much MLB did Steve DeOssie play for the Giants, yet he had a long career as a longsnapper.

I have a better suggestion ... lets make the Longsnapper a 3rd TE
I agree with you...longsnapping is an art..something that takes a LOT of practice and can not be messed up...Paxton has been perfect..never messing up in years if even that......I would think a roster spot for him is WORTH it.. Bartrum is quite the exception here..more a throwback...to the past... should we make kickers into positional players as well?? Like Groza and others of the past??

Ok.

They signed OL from Duke who hasn't played an NFL snap & has been out of football since 2006 before they gave Welbourn a call.

That tells me plenty.
So what is the plenty that what you said tells you???
THAT does not make sense at all...far far off base on that one...
At the start of camp they didn't NEED another vet to round out the 80...they wished to add one to take a look at...NOT in any way compete for a starting position..more a project.. THINGS have changed now..there are injuries..is it ANY surprise that they have brought in 3 linemen in the last week or so, 2 of them vets of a number of years?? Would u compare Bauta to Stokes as well?? Please.!! Obviously there has been a bit of injury concern here...Neal and Light particularly. Welbourn and Stokes will be in the mix; competition against the youngsters so that they can come up with the right blend of nine...

Last edited:
Ok.

They signed OL from Duke who hasn't played an NFL snap & has been out of football since 2006 before they gave Welbourn a call.

That tells me plenty.

Perhaps the FO did give Welbourn a call earlier than just this past weekend, but he wanted to see if a better offer presented itself. When it didn't, and the FO called again, he decided to take the bird in the hand.

Hey, it's possible.

I think that we are all in agreement that Welbourn is not the same player he was with the Eagles. But he did play - and start - all 16 games last year for the first time since the 2000 season (he was 15/15 in '01 and 13/13 in '03). That counts for something; what that is, exactly, I'm not sure yet. I'm looking forward to seeing what he brings to the party, because I would love for 1/2 of the vets and/or yutes to supplant Hochstein & Yates on the depth chart.

So what is the plenty that what you said tells you???
THAT does not make sense at all...far far off base on that one...
At the start of camp they didn't NEED another vet to round out the 80...they wished to add one to take a look at...NOT in any way compete for a starting position..more a project.. THINGS have changed now..there are injuries..is it ANY surprise that they have brought in 3 linemen in the last week or so, 2 of them vets of a number of years?? Would u compare Bauta to Stokes as well?? Please.!! Obviously there has been a bit of injury concern here...Neal and Light particularly. Welbourn and Stokes will be in the mix; competition against the youngsters so that they can come up with the right blend of nine...

We'll agree to disagree. 30 other teams pro scouted Welbourne, a guy who was a starting guard for one of the worst OLs in the NFL in 2007. Teams that need bodies in camp this time of year.

Yet he was unemployed until early August.

You can spin it any way you want to spin it, but I call it like I see it and that's a veteran body dialed up to take reps in camp. And frankly, if he ends up making the roster, it is probably not a good sign for the Patriots OL.

We'll agree to disagree. 30 other teams pro scouted Welbourne, a guy who was a starting guard for one of the worst OLs in the NFL in 2007. Teams that need bodies in camp this time of year.

You can spin it any way you want to spin it, but I call it like I see it and that's a veteran body dialed up to take reps in camp. And frankly, if he ends up making the roster, it is probably not a good sign for the Patriots OL.
ALL I said was that he'd be in the mix..THAT IS a bit different than your thoughts..My MAIN point was that to insinuate because they signed Bauta to the 80 just before camp and not Welbourne was that they thought Bauta was much better, was plainly way incorrect...A different signing for a different reason.
Wellbourne might be all done..but, he may not be and might be somewhere in the backup OL. Time will tell. There are 3 from the 9 last year that are out...Neal & Light might be gone for some time..will Britt & Yates be ready to really step it up?? I think they wish to get some vets ready to get into the competition. If you had said Clement instead (now IRed) it might be closer to that, but this vet might impress.

Last edited:
30 other teams pro scouted Welbourne, a guy who was a starting guard for one of the worst OLs in the NFL in 2007. Teams that need bodies in camp this time of year.

Again irrelevant, many teams scouted Tom Brady, Joe Montana, Terrell Davis and on and on and thought they couldn't cut it. No one in the league wanted Phifer late in 2001 and he went on to be an intricate part of championship teams. Also a guy named Ty Law, who everyone seems to want to sign, is still out there and it's August 5th. Welbourn will help the Pats during this next season and the Pats OL will be fine.

Again irrelevant, many teams scouted Tom Brady, Joe Montana, Terrell Davis and on and on and thought they couldn't cut it. No one in the league wanted Phifer late in 2001 and he went on to be an intricate part of championship teams. Also a guy named Ty Law, who everyone seems to want to sign, is still out there and it's August 5th. Welbourn will help the Pats during this next season and the Pats OL will be fine.

Come on now. The draft comparisons are completely irrelevant. There is a huge difference in scouting college players and finding late round gems that teams pass on multiple times vs. a 10-yr NFL veteran with whom everyone pretty much knows what they are getting.

Ty Law is irrelevant as well; we all know the only reason he isn't signed is because of $$$ not talent.

Phifer is the only relevant comparison, which again, reaching back 7 years to make a point is never a good sign. Plus, Phifer wasn't as old and I believe was coming off surgery which is why no teams had signed him.

As opposed to Welbourn, who was not signed because no one wanted him.

I'm all for the Pats Kool Aid, and am taking a big ol' swig with this rookie class (which I think is special) and a lot of the FA signings, but I think the rose-colored glasses are in full effect when people are banking on Welbourn being an OL contributor.

Frankly, I'm shocked that my rationale stance is the subject of such ire ...

Come on now. The draft comparisons are completely irrelevant. There is a huge difference in scouting college players and finding late round gems that teams pass on multiple times vs. a 10-yr NFL veteran with whom everyone pretty much knows what they are getting.

Ty Law is irrelevant as well; we all know the only reason he isn't signed is because of $$$ not talent.

Phifer is the only relevant comparison, which again, reaching back 7 years to make a point is never a good sign. Plus, Phifer wasn't as old and I believe was coming off surgery which is why no teams had signed him.

As opposed to Welbourn, who was not signed because no one wanted him.

I'm all for the Pats Kool Aid, and am taking a big ol' swig with this rookie class (which I think is special) and a lot of the FA signings, but I think the rose-colored glasses are in full effect when people are banking on Welbourn being an OL contributor.

Ok, here are some more late signings that played important roles on their respective teams:
Joe Andruzzi, signed 9/9/2000,
Otis Smith, signed 8/23/2000,
Bryan Cox, signed 7/31/2001,
Larry Centers, signed 7/30/2003,
Russ Hochstein, signed 9/14/03.

Last edited:
Ok, here are some more late signings that played important roles on their respective teams:

Good point. I like Cox.

The only thing I thought made no sense was claiming that because they signed Bauta before camp for the 80 that that fact meant that the team though HE was better that Welbourn..as he was just signed 10 days later...to me that is illogical..as the signing of Bauta was to round out the roster while this signing is to get a vet player in camp to compete because of an injury.
That you think he will not be a good addition is your opinion..time will tell whether that is correct or not. There are many reasons why players are not signed..beside ability...money baggage etc...

Fair points here. I would argue Otis & Cox don't so much count as they are players BB was already familiar with.

Andruzzi & Hochstein are the best comparisons there, but given their September signings, my guess without looking it up is that they were final camp cuts from other other teams or were signed off practice squads. Again, different than a 10-yr vet unemployed since February.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes