PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Week 7 Practice Updates

Status
Not open for further replies.
I honestly wouldn't even mind if they held Lewis out until the end of the season if they had to.
With him being on PUP, wouldn't they have to decide what to do with him ( activate or IR) by the end of the six week window from weeks 6-11????
Do you mean get him back for the playoffs or simply IR him and write off this year????

With him being on PUP, wouldn't they have to decide what to do with him ( activate or IR) by the end of the six week window from weeks 6-11????
Do you mean get him back for the playoffs or simply IR him and write off this year????
There is little question that the expectation is to activate him at some point during the time window. I think some are simply saying that once on the roster, he can be brought along slowly with gradual increase in utilization with the goal of having him ready when it counts the most.

Is there any deadline after which a player on PUP who has not practiced has to either be activated, cut, or IR'd?

I know once they start practicing they have to be activated, cut, or IR'd within 3 weeks. But what if they never practiced?

Allen-Iverson_Practice.png

Is there any deadline after which a player on PUP who has not practiced has to either be activated, cut, or IR'd?

I know once they start practicing they have to be activated, cut, or IR'd within 3 weeks. But what if they never practiced?

That's the 6 week window Patsfanin Philly mentioned. They need to start practicing by week 11, otherwise they default to IR (or if not IR, a similar permanently ineligible status for 2016). So the absolute latest one of these players could join the active roster is for Week 14 -- week 11 plus the 3 weeks of practice.

quick question: It was my impression that Volmer wasn't on the PUP, but on IR (hoping to return). IIRC he practiced during TC, didn't he?
no, he is on PUP.
The confusion stems from some reported saying the Patriots were going to put him on IR, when in fact he was PUP eligible. There really is no reason to put a PUP-eligible player on IR.

no, he is on PUP.
The confusion stems from some reported saying the Patriots were going to put him on IR, when in fact he was PUP eligible. There really is no reason to put a PUP-eligible player on IR.
Thanks for the info. When you come to think of it what exactly is the difference between PUP and the IR these days. The PUP is 6 weeks before you can play, while the IR is 8. And of course you can only get one guy back from IR, and everyone from PUP

BTW- I wouldn't be surprised to see the number of players who CAN come back from IR increase. It only makes sense given the huge investments the teams make in these guys. Why NOT allow them to come back after 8 weeks if the player can be medically cleared.

Full house! Where's Bob Saget?

Thanks for the info. When you come to think of it what exactly is the difference between PUP and the IR these days. The PUP is 6 weeks before you can play, while the IR is 8. And of course you can only get one guy back from IR, and everyone from PUP

BTW- I wouldn't be surprised to see the number of players who CAN come back from IR increase. It only makes sense given the huge investments the teams make in these guys. Why NOT allow them to come back after 8 weeks if the player can be medically cleared.

You pretty much nailed the difference. Anyone on PUP can come back after 6 weeks, while only one person on IR can come back after 8 weeks. The mechanics are different (a player can only be put on PUP at the beginning of training camp and active PUP at the cut downs), but effectively that is the difference.

If they ever do significantly expand the number of players who could come back from IR, I could see that combined with the elimination of PUP to simplify things.

They should just eliminate PUP and make IR a minimum of 6 weeks.

Looks like Jamie Collins is traveling with the team. So there's a chance he could play tomorrow.

I think that any of the PUP players could be put on IR and be brought back later as the one IR player coming back.

It looks like Malcolm Brown, Alan Branch and Anthony Johnson are the only healthy Patriots defensive tackles.....not much there to stop the run.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News