PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Week 2: Patriots vs Jets

Did the Jets fans not see the Pats D contain Spiller, Jackson, Johnson, Manuel, Chandler and Woods?

And that they only allowed one legit TD drive?

13 Buffalo drives
9 punts (4 three and outs)
2 forced fumble recoveries
2 TD allowed (one being a 37 yard drive)
So on 6 of Buffalo's 13 drives they failed to gain 10 yards.

Pats only allowed 3 drives of more than 28 yards and only 4 drives of more than 5 plays which 3 of those were only 6 plays.

Held them to 30% on 3rd down.

Or did they miss that?

Oh and one of their best offensive players, Kerley might be out for the game with a concussion

I think we may be in trouble here. Vegas is providing fuel for our opponents based on our reputation but we're no where close to where we need to be on offense.

I expect a very close defensive slugfest. Without Amendola, Vereen, Dobson(?) and with only one healthy TE on the roster.....We're ripe for the pick'n.

I expect our defense to play well for the majority of the game but I can see Geno's mobility bailing them out and sustaining some drives for them.

The key, as it often is, will be turnovers and special teams. Thats where this game will be won or lost.

who are the jets going to run on us with? Powell? ivory? ok....

We'll shut down their RB's but Geno's mobility is going to be an issue. I expect that he's going to be their leading rusher against us. We may hold their RB's under 70 yards rushing but if Geno gets 50+ yards, we could be in trouble, especially if the majority of those yards come on 3rd down.

We need Ridley to have a big game. If we can't get our running game going, we're not going to be able to do much offensively.

This will not be an easy game.

Some Jet fans said that Geno's the new Arron Rodgers. :D

I hope we crush those bastards!:D

I think we may be in trouble here. Vegas is providing fuel for our opponents based on our reputation but we're no where close to where we need to be on offense.

I expect a very close defensive slugfest. Without Amendola, Vereen, Dobson(?) and with only one healthy TE on the roster.....We're ripe for the pick'n.

If teams are using Vegas for motivation for regular season games then mentally they are already defeated.

Also why are you assuming Amendola is out? He came back into the game, played well and while limited did practice today.

We'll shut down their RB's but Geno's mobility is going to be an issue. I expect that he's going to be their leading rusher against us. We may hold their RB's under 70 yards rushing but if Geno gets 50+ yards, we could be in trouble, especially if the majority of those yards come on 3rd down.

They just played a QB who statistically in college was a better runner and they contained him pretty well, while also having to worry about 2 RB that are so much better than what the Jets have at RB.

We need Ridley to have a big game. If we can't get our running game going, we're not going to be able to do much offensively.

This will not be an easy game.
The Jets are a 4-12 team. This game won't be close.
We have a better defense. We have offensive players out, they don't have offensive players.

Did the Jets fans not see the Pats D contain Spiller, Jackson, Johnson, Manuel, Chandler and Woods?

13 Buffalo drives

Pats only allowed 3 drives of more than 28 yards and only 4 drives of more than 5 plays which 3 of those were only 6 plays.

Or did they miss that?

Oh and one of their best offensive players, Kerley might be out for the game with a concussion

Nice analysis, JMC00. Thanks for sharing these numbers.

I watched the Jets/Bucs twice now. Cover Winslow and Gee-No! will force the ball to Hill. Kerley looks like a DNP. Barring the unforeseen, as in the Buffalo game, our defense could keep them to 10 points. Gee-No! likes to run out of the pocket downfield....he needs to be hit and hit hard every time he does.He fancies himself as some kind of tough guy. The only thing is, knock him out and Simms takes over...and Simms CAN play, and play well from the pocket.

The Jets may be a 4 win team, but as is the Patriots are an 8 win team.

Thankfully Dobson/Thompkins/Sudfield/Gronk/Vereen will get healthy/better and as a result the team will get better, but for this next week they are not. This is going to be a tough game. Our biggest advantage over them (abusing linebackers in coverage) is no longer an advantage now without Vereen/Hernnadez/Gronk.

This is going to be a much closer game than some people think, unless the Patriots score on special teams or on turnovers. The Jets are going to force the Patriots to pass to Thompkins and Boyce. It's going to be tough to run on their defense.

Thankfully Dobson/Thompkins/Sudfield/Gronk/Vereen will get healthy/better and as a result the team will get better, but for this next week they are not. This is going to be a tough game. Our biggest advantage over them (abusing linebackers in coverage) is no longer an advantage now without Vereen/Hernnadez/Gronk.
Yes, the defense played well in Buffalo and, in the second half, Brady, Vereen, Amendola and Edelman carried the team. I can't see Amendola starting (they must have shot him with cortisone or whatever the modern horse-medicine is at half-time, but even then he was clearly restricted) so, if they can't rush the Gronk back, it's going to be very tough to see where the offense will come from.

Anyhow, enough of the pessimism -- I just want to say that, win or lose, the

Jets suck!

Spread em out like they used to with the Steelers, run the one word play call no huddle (that will make it easier for the new receivers too) to tire the DL out, jobs a good 'un. Small ball it and beat them with gnat bites, the DBs they have are more long striders so will struggle against quick routes.

That's the easiest/best way to stop the Jets pass rush, it will also open up the run game.

On defense: set the edge, blitz the A & B gaps, Geno got sacked 5 times and looked poor passing when under pressure. Powell & Ivory are hardly anything to worry about, especially with what the Pats have in the front 7. They might also be without Kerley & Winslow too which really hurts their passing game.

13 Buffalo drives

Or did they miss that?

This side of the ball is certainly going to be a rollercoaster ride for us Jets fans all season regardless of opponent.

outside of highlights after the fact i did not watch your game, so appreciate your perspective & info.

that being said, many people were picking Buffalo to be as bad (or worse) than the Jets this year (same goes for Tampa Bay) ... so i would think both of our teams will have a much better read on our strengths and weaknesses after Thursday night.

they must have shot him with cortisone or whatever the modern horse-medicine is at half-time

Supposedly they don't do this because with a pulled muscle numbing it drastically increases the chances of greater damage.

Next game only 4 days away, thus already on my mind...

Patriots open as 11.5 favorites, not sure if I'm too sold on that line.

As much as I hate the Jets, I still think Ryan is a great defensive coach and he has out-coached Belichick before. This will easily be the weakest offense Ryan will be scheming against since he joined New York.

I don't expect us to win with the Amendola/Edleman show again. Something needs to change this week.
Don't worry about another Amendola/Edelman show. Amendola will be on the sidelines in street clothes. We will be lucky to see Amendola play back to back games. Our total receiving corps for the Jets may consist of Edelman,
Thompkins, Boyce, Slater, and Hoomanawanui. Slater may be taking a
regular turn. This may be the worst receiving corps in the NFL. Better
hope the running backs can gain 200 yards.

Supposedly they don't do this because with a pulled muscle numbing it drastically increases the chances of greater damage.

That's why they SHOULDN'T -- whether they don't is another matter.

Ugh. Offense is going to be brutal to watch.

Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
Back