PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

WEEI.com: Worst No. 1 picks in team history

Status
Not open for further replies.
Russell and Harlow are both on the Globe's "Team of the 90's", so I don't think that's really fair. Harlow, especially, was a serviceable tackle in the league and had a good if not great career. Maybe not befitting his draft status, but he wasn't horrible. Russell had a few very good years too.

Eason took the team to a Super Bowl and also won the AFC East the next year. He may not have been a star but he wasn't a bust on the level of some of the other guys on the list.

Singleton and Matich probably belong.

Tebucky was a good, not great, safety who started on the Super Bowl team and came up with some big plays in those games. His career went downhill fast and he was never a stud, but he wasn't even close to "worst pick" status.

Good call on Russell and Harlow, Primetime. Got some e-mails on the two of them, and I think people forget they were decent players. Ditto for Eason--he was no world-beater, but did lead a team to the AFC title. I am getting a lot of e-mail on Sims, Singleton and Matich. Even got one on Gerhardt Schwedes. Needless to say, I think we might have to do Volume 2 very soon.

Any other ones we may have missed?

Is Irving Fryar on the list? He had a very productive career overall but he was a train wreck in New England.

Then again he is no "2 yard" Dupard.

Russell and Harlow are both on the Globe's "Team of the 90's", so I don't think that's really fair. Harlow, especially, was a serviceable tackle in the league and had a good if not great career. Maybe not befitting his draft status, but he wasn't horrible. Russell had a few very good years too.

Eason took the team to a Super Bowl and also won the AFC East the next year. He may not have been a star but he wasn't a bust on the level of some of the other guys on the list.

Singleton and Matich probably belong.

Tebucky was a good, not great, safety who started on the Super Bowl team and came up with some big plays in those games. His career went downhill fast and he was never a stud, but he wasn't even close to "worst pick" status.

harlow was the 11th pick in the draft........for an RT?????? that was a bomb.....how about erik williams or kevin donnalley in round 3? HORRIBLE PICK

leonard russell at 14????

again....these are first round picks

eason? he didn't lead anyone.....the pats don't even make the playoffs if grogan doesn't go 5-1......eason was a joke........especially since ken obrien and dan marino were still on the board

tebucky jones in the first round was brutally bad.....here's the list of guys taken after jones:
donovin darius....same school as jones.....WTF were the pats thinking?
rw mcquarters
corey chavous
patrick surtain
samari rolle
brian kelly

you could have drawn names out of a hat and done better.......

everyone's entitled to their opinion, but all the guys I mentioned were horrible picks

I think almost any first round pick prior to Plunkett in '71 might qualify for this list.

Katzenmoyer in my opinion was a guy who really had no interest in being a succesful pro.

I think that is the number one reason why some guys who are so highly regarded or talented end up flopping. I also think that is why the Pats have had good success drafting: They realize how important it is to take guys not just because of physical talent but also mental/emotional ability/aptitude as well.

Imagine being 22 years old. You basicaly just got a college education for free. Now you are being sent to some strange city where you know nobody. Even if you are a low round draft pick, you are being given somewhere between hundreds of thousands to even millions of dollars if you make the team. I imagine for some of these guys a free diploma and a few hundred grand to start your life off is more than enough to go home with after two or three years and start your life with your friends and family with your health still mostly in tact.

I actually knew on a personal level a recent mid round Pats draft pick that some people had high expectations for. That is exactly what happened with him. He got hurt, hung around for two plus years, and ended up walking away with a few hundred grand. He started a gym back home and became a teacher.

Most of these guys have the talent to succeed it is just that some I really think ultimately cash out so to speak early on. They walk away with a few hundred grand and college degree and move on.

Good call on Russell and Harlow, Primetime. Got some e-mails on the two of them, and I think people forget they were decent players. Ditto for Eason--he was no world-beater, but did lead a team to the AFC title. I am getting a lot of e-mail on Sims, Singleton and Matich. Even got one on Gerhardt Schwedes. Needless to say, I think we might have to do Volume 2 very soon.

Any other ones we may have missed?

yeah right...........good call :rolleyes:

hilarious

everyone's entitled to their opinion, but all the guys I mentioned were horrible picks

You can't say "Well these guys picked after were much better, so this guy was a terrible pick." It doesn't work that way. It's like saying the Jets made one of the worst picks in their history by taking Chad Pennington when they could've had Tom Brady in the 6th round. You have to look at what they did as a player. The whole Ray Agnew/Chris Singleton debacle might be an exception because just about every single player chosen around them was an annual Pro Bowler (Carrier, Turnbull, Lathon), borderline Hall of Famer (Kennedy, Webb), or surefire Hall of Famer (Seau, Smith).

Harlow was never drafted to be a LT. Remember that the Patriots had arguably the best LT in the league at the time Harlow was drafted. Harlow started for 7 seasons in the league. He may not have been a star, but he wasn't a bad player; in fact, after Armstrong and Light, he's probably the best tackle the Patriots have had in the last 20 years. Who's to say Erik Williams would have been any better with those terrible Patriots teams instead of the Cowboys where he had Nate Newton and Jay Novacek to his sides, plus a great RB to boot.

Russell was the rookie of the year in 1991. If we're going to put him on this list, then Robert Edwards needs to go on it before he does. Edwards only played that one year, while Russell had a few more decently productive years. Reggie Dupard, a far more deserving candidate for this list, never rushed for more than 320 yards in a season. Vagas Ferguson is more deserving too, as he played all of 2 years and his most productive year was an 820 yard season. Maroney, by the way, risks being thrown into this category if he doesn't shape up soon. God, one thing you realize is the Patriots have absolutely horrible with round 1 RBs (Edwards got hurt, and John Stephens was no superstar either).

Again, Tony Eason looks like a bad pick because of the rest of the quarterbacks taken in that draft, but Eason had two 3000 yard seasons and ended his career with a rating of 79.7, which isn't half bad. He wasn't a good quarterback by any stretch, and I'd probably make him an honorable mention on this list, but I don't think he'd be in the top 5.

Jones was taken as a cornerback/safety hybrid and was originally intended to play corner. Tebucky had a more productive (though shorter thanks to legal incidents) career than RW McQuarters and aside from one year, Brian Kelly (who was a product of the Tampa Cover-2, not talent). Darius had a couple good years but was never much better than Tebucky, either. This is a case of "the grass is always greener." And Tebucky had huge plays in the 2001 playoffs.

Irving Fryar's a guy who also belongs nowhere near this list (Terry Glenn would be just as deserving). I really don't think some of you realize how bad some of the Patriots' 1st round picks have been. Canty, Dykes, Matich, Singleton, Dupard, Chunk, Ferguson, Agnew, just about everyone prior to Plunkett... these guys are historically bad picks. I'll keep the Big Kat out of it because he had injury problems.

Sims wasn't historically bad (he had a decent length, average career like later fellow number one Aundray Bruce), but he was undeserving of the number 1 slot (though to be fair it turned out to be a weak draft) and his attitude was absolutely horrendous. I'd say after those guys, him and Eason would be "honorable mentions" followed by a swathe of horribly mediocre picks.

Last edited:
harlow was the 11th pick in the draft........for an RT?????? that was a bomb.....how about erik williams or kevin donnalley in round 3? HORRIBLE PICK

leonard russell at 14????

again....these are first round picks

eason? he didn't lead anyone.....the pats don't even make the playoffs if grogan doesn't go 5-1......eason was a joke........especially since ken obrien and dan marino were still on the board

tebucky jones in the first round was brutally bad.....here's the list of guys taken after jones:
donovin darius....same school as jones.....WTF were the pats thinking?
rw mcquarters
corey chavous
patrick surtain
samari rolle
brian kelly

you could have drawn names out of a hat and done better.......

Is a player with an 8 year NFL career and 94 career starts a Bust? What about 6 years and 71 starts and AFC Rookie of the year honors? That's Harlow and Russells info respectively. I'm sorry but your wrong. They were not horrible pics. They may have not been as great as we would have hoped, but they were certainly not busts in any way shape or form. To qualify them on the worst No 1 picks list would not be correct. Clearly Ken Simms and Chris Canty are far and away the worst 1st round picks ever.

Who the hell said Irving Fryar??? Did you start following the Pats in 2001 or what? The guy had a 17 year NFL career! 5 Pro Bowls!!! He's 12th all time in receiving yards. Seriously, this here internet thing makes it real easy to look up stats and check this stuff out before you post.

I agree that Sims, for a first pick, never panned out. But there have been worse first picks in NFL history.

Do people remember that his career went south quickly when his leg snapped in two as a rookie?

Then he had to go through the NFL strike and Ron Meyer.

During the Super Bowl run year, he played great. He was solid. He was actually living up to the billing.

Maybe he got involved with Tony Collins after that because he disappeared.

Regardless, if you had the #1 pick in the 1982 draft, and you DIDN'T pick Ken Sims, you deserved to get fired. He was a consensus #1, no brainer, a disruptive force in college on the order of Reggie White.

Eugene Chung has to be #1. He symbolized this pathetically run franchise that called Foxboro home before Krafty took over. Those other picks you guys mentioned actually played and contributed! Did Chung start 1 game?!

Where is Football Phil Olsen? He is the absolute worst round pick that never played a down for the Pats!

Where is John Charles, and Jon Concannon?

Where are the pair of first rounder that resulted in little compared to the possible HOFer defensive lineman that Seattle got. I don't even remember the inconsequential players one of who was a OLB, that ended up in Miami.

You can't say "Well these guys picked after were much better, so this guy was a terrible pick." It doesn't work that way. It's like saying the Jets made one of the worst picks in their history by taking Chad Pennington when they could've had Tom Brady in the 6th round. You have to look at what they did as a player. The whole Ray Agnew/Chris Singleton debacle might be an exception because just about every single player chosen around them was an annual Pro Bowler (Carrier, Turnbull, Lathon), borderline Hall of Famer (Kennedy, Webb), or surefire Hall of Famer (Seau, Smith)..

the pennington example is invalid.........expecially since penning has been a pretty good pro...........eason on the other hand had one good year and the pats made it to the SB in spite of him and not because of him.......in a year when you have 5 QB's that are first rounders, and you pick the 3rd one and wind up with the worst one, its a horrible pick.......case closed..

works the same way with tebucky jones.......they could have pretty much picked anyone else who was picked within 10 picks and been better off......its not like one guy wound up being better than jones...THEY WERE ALL BETTER.......jones managed to stay on the field for a few years because the pats were so busy rebuilding every other part of the team

I could see backing off the russell pick because it might be the worst year ever for an RB draft and since john stephens lost it after almost killing that 9ers DB, it was a need that had to be addressed

drafting an OT for the purpose of being an RT in the first round (especially at #11) is a really bad pick........simply a bad personnel decision

Who's to say Erik Williams would have been any better with those terrible Patriots teams instead of the Cowboys where he had Nate Newton and Jay Novacek to his sides, plus a great RB to boot..

the same person who would say that rick mirer would have done as good here as drew bledsoe

If we're going to put him on this list, then Robert Edwards needs to go on it before he does. Edwards only played that one year, while Russell had a few more decently productive years. Reggie Dupard, a far more deserving candidate for this list, never rushed for more than 320 yards in a season. Vagas Ferguson is more deserving too, as he played all of 2 years and his most productive year was an 820 yard season. Maroney, by the way, risks being thrown into this category if he doesn't shape up soon. God, one thing you realize is the Patriots have absolutely horrible with round 1 RBs (Edwards got hurt, and John Stephens was no superstar either)..

difference is that edwards and ferguson got hurt.........and I would put stephens up there with russel.......

Again, Tony Eason looks like a bad pick because of the rest of the quarterbacks taken in that draft, but Eason had two 3000 yard seasons and ended his career with a rating of 79.7, which isn't half bad. He wasn't a good quarterback by any stretch, and I'd probably make him an honorable mention on this list, but I don't think he'd be in the top 5..

I didn't say anything about top 5, but he was lousy........when you have a choice of 3 and pick the worst one, it is as bad as I advertised it

Irving Fryar's a guy who also belongs nowhere near this list (Terry Glenn would be just as deserving). I really don't think some of you realize how bad some of the Patriots' 1st round picks have been. Canty, Dykes, Matich, Singleton, Dupard, Chunk, Ferguson, Agnew, just about everyone prior to Plunkett... these guys are historically bad picks. I'll keep the Big Kat out of it because he had injury problems.

Sims wasn't historically bad (he had a decent length, average career like later fellow number one Aundray Bruce), but he was undeserving of the number 1 slot (though to be fair it turned out to be a weak draft) and his attitude was absolutely horrendous. I'd say after those guys, him and Eason would be "honorable mentions" followed by a swathe of horribly mediocre picks.

I steered clear of the obvious ones...........

jones managed to stay on the field for a few years because the pats were so busy rebuilding every other part of the team

I'm not going to bother with your re-hashing of arguments that I've already addressed, but you do realize that the Patriots won a Super Bowl with Tebucky starting at safety, right?

I'm not going to bother with your re-hashing of arguments that I've already addressed, but you do realize that the Patriots won a Super Bowl with Tebucky starting at safety, right?

Even better, the Pats eventually GOT a draft pick for former winning team starter Tebucky. Hardly a disasterous pick.

Great list. Thanks. I can't disagree with the Katzenmoyer pick on the basis of his production (or lack thereof), but does anyone know how much the injury had to do with how things turned out for him, both in terms of his playing ability as well as his attitude?

yup........and the pats won a superbowl with rodd rutledge as a starting TE (who BTW, might make some peoples list as one of the worst 2nd round picks).....the pats won an SB with tom ashworth as a starting OT.....the pats won an SB with brandon gorin as a starting OT......it still is a team sport

But Canty, oh, that was a hideous pick.

Yeah - and there was never any question about it. I think everyone's reaction at the time was that they took a 3rd round guy at best in the 1st round.

It was almost like we never really had any hope he'd be good - we knew from day one they'd blown that pick and we were all proven correct.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back