PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

WEEI.com: Worst No. 1 picks in team history

Status
Not open for further replies.
Rutledge was projected as a 5th round draft pick in 1998. He was

a good blocker with very limited offensive potential. Bobby Grier

had Ben Coates as his offensive weapon and wanted a backup

tight end who could block. Grier drafted Rutledge in the 2nd round

over a lot of better all-around tight ends.

Yeah, I'm not touting Rutledge. Thought it was another brilliant Grier move. A totally one dimensional TE. They used him, allright. thr thing that ticked me off was, as big as he was, he wasn't a devastating blocker, in my mind. All the box scores are available

2001 New England Patriots Statistics & Players - Pro-Football-Reference.com

it's obvious they went away from passing to the TE at all for a while. They certainly didn't use Wiggins just to block. As I recall, (could be foggy) he played as much in the snow bowl as he played all season. He caught three in game 1, but they went away from the TE pretty much after that. Torance small was a big receiver and he caught 4 before he was cut.

Last edited:
Where's Maroney on this list?

Great list. Thanks. I can't disagree with the Katzenmoyer pick on the basis of his production (or lack thereof), but does anyone know how much the injury had to do with how things turned out for him, both in terms of his playing ability as well as his attitude?

My thought as well. Priest Holmes also got a neck injury that ended his career, but nobody could claim he couldn't play.

The term "bust," as I understand it, is not a label attached to injured players. Tony Mandarich, Ryan Leaf - those guys are busts. They simply lacked the skill set to play in the NFL with careers not beset by injury. Robert Edwards played a great first year then suffered a freak injury - he is no bust under this definition. If by "bust" Christopher means a poorly spent first round pick, given his career longevity the answer would be likely yes for Edwards as well.

Chris Canty. Short and slow. And the head coach at the time, Pete Carroll, knew his DBs, saying just before that draft on the radio that if the Patriots went for a shorter player in the defensive backfield he'd have to have great speed. If he was a bigger guy, he didn't have to be a speedburner.

Then they pick a slow, very short player who had more promise as a rap star. Ugh! That move cost--as it should have--Bobby Grier his job. He was in way over his head and the Canty pick was the neon bulb flickering on and off showing it.

Next, it have to be Kenneth Sims, who had the ability--if he'd had the heart--to revolutionize defensive line play. AND DON'T FORGET WHOM THE GIANTS TOOK NEXT: Lawrence Taylor.

Sims played decently only one year, the last on his first contract. I remember him stupidly breaking his leg by kicking it out, trying to take down a running back when he was lying on the ground.

Chris Canty. Short and slow. And the head coach at the time, Pete Carroll, knew his DBs, saying just before that draft on the radio that if the Patriots went for a shorter player in the defensive backfield he'd have to have great speed. If he was a bigger guy, he didn't have to be a speedburner.

Then they pick a slow, very short player who had more promise as a rap star. Ugh! That move cost--as it should have--Bobby Grier his job. He was in way over his head and the Canty pick was the neon bulb flickering on and off showing it.

Next, it have to be Kenneth Sims, who had the ability--if he'd had the heart--to revolutionize defensive line play. AND DON'T FORGET WHOM THE GIANTS TOOK NEXT: Lawrence Taylor.
Sims played decently only one year, the last on his first contract. I remember him stupidly breaking his leg by kicking it out, trying to take down a running back when he was lying on the ground.

Johnie Cooks went number 2 that year to the Colts. It was a real weak draft.(except for Tippett, Marcus Allen and a couple others) Taylor was number 2 the year before behind George Rogers.

Gotta agree with Chris Canty. Has to be the worst since the Fairbanks era. The only play I remember him being involved in was him celebrating a tackle while the fumbled ball sat at his feet. He was too interested in his dance to notice. He was just awful.

Last edited:
The only play I remember him being involved in was him celebrating a tackle while the fumbled ball sat at his feet. He was too interested in his dance to notice. He was just awful.
Stop bringing back bad memories.

Looking back on the Grier era, its no wonder that Parcells wasn't worried about giving him the extra number 1 picks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes