PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

WEEI.com: Worst No. 1 picks in team history

Status
Not open for further replies.
Starting with Katzenmoyer is sort of foolish.

He was named to the NFL All-Rookie team, finished his rookie year with over 75 tackles and 3.5 sacks from the MLB spot, and returned an INT for a TD. Great performance. His career was ended due to a neck injury.

It's hard to point to career-ending injuries as poor drafting.

nobody said disastrous........but a really bad first round pick, he was

The topic is WORST #1 picks in team history.

Jones actually PLAYED for the Pats unlike some of the WORST picks. Not only played he STARTED for the Patriots AHEAD of all the other safetys on the squad, and later the Pats got a DAY ONE pick for Tebucky.

Tebuckey hardly deserves mention compared to the rest of the real losers cited in this thread.

Chung was just a joke on so many levels. Not only was he a terrible player but the way we ended up with him just exemplifies how incompetent Pats' management was at the time.

The Pats had the 7th pick in the draft and went in to the draft hellbent on selecting an OL. There were at least four OL's with first round grades IIRC -- Whitfield, Searcy, Roberts and Chung. We traded out of the top 10 from 7 down to 19, thinking one of the 4 OL's would be available by the time we picked.

So, of course, right after the Pats traded down to 19, Whitfield, Searcy and Roberts all get snatched up. The team then panics and trades up from 19 to 13 to pick Chung.

McPherson was asked in the post-draft press conference whether Chung had been the Pats' top-rated OL. I'll never forget his answer: "Wouldn't it be nice if we could say that?" That sums it up for me -- just a terrible, terrible pick by a then-terrible organization.

Last edited:
yup........and the pats won a superbowl with rodd rutledge as a starting TE (who BTW, might make some peoples list as one of the worst 2nd round picks)

Jermaine Wiggins was the starting TE in 2001.

Katzenmoyer was disappointing because he could have been so good, but he looked good before the neck injury that ended his career. If you're going to call him one of the worst, then Robert Edwards also has to be up there.

Yeah, really crappy list.

Both were great picks...its just that sh*t happens.

Last edited:
I loved how Bobby Grier admitted when he drafted Canty that he drafted him to be a nickelback. A first round pick as a nickelback. When he could have had Dexter McCleon (2nd round and he wasn't all that great, but much better than Canty), Sam Madison (2nd round), or Ronde Barber (3rd round).

I was going to make the same point...I will never forget that. I wonder what grier is doing now :)

I agree with the comments about Katz and HL Dykes and injuries. I would have put Kenneth Sims on the list too, since he was one overall.

This needed to be first on your list I think.

RD 1 #1 Kenneth "Game Day" Simms.

Again, I think the problem with Sims was round hole, square peg. He was a 4-3 DT forced to play DL on a 3-4 defense. Yes his attitude did not help, but the Pats should have done a better job of projecting a difficult transition for him.

Here's a name I haven't seen mentioned. Bob Cryder - G - Alabama.
Bucko Kilroy had a great run in mid-70's. Then he struck paydirt...err...mud in 78.

75 R. Francis
76 Haynes/Brock/Fox
77 Clayborn/Morgan
78 Cryder

70's version of E.Chung.

Here's a name I haven't seen mentioned. Bob Cryder - G - Alabama.

Supposedly, when it was announced, they talked about how he was so much like John Hannah. Then they interviewed Bear Bryant, who was like "Who said he's anything like John Hannah? You're kidding right?"

Rutledge started 14 games, Wiggins started 6. (Don't know if that's with playoffs, or a 2 TE).

Rutledge was almost completely a blocking tight end.

So he was in on the first offensive of the game, which makes sense since a 1st down would usually be a running play.

I'm not entirely certain what this has to do with the thread, though, other than as an excuse for tanked_as_usual to try to defend his opinions by bringing in something completely irrelevant to attack mine with.

Last edited:
I dont understand why Reggie Dupard doesnt rank higher on the "worst" list. In 3.5 seasons he rushed for LESS than 600 yards. I fell down more times and for more yardage than that in 3.5 years!

I'm going with Canty.
Why not?

I dont understand why Reggie Dupard doesnt rank higher on the "worst" list. In 3.5 seasons he rushed for LESS than 600 yards. I fell down more times and for more yardage than that in 3.5 years!

Not a #1 pick but he reminds me of Ike Forte, whom I'd named "The Crab" because when he ran he'd invariably scuttle sideways to the out of bounds marker for +/- one yard. Terrible RB.

In retrospect, I find it hard to believe that I stuck with this team during the 20th century's mostly awful seasons, destitute or horrific owners, continual bad drafts...I think that the fact that at least once each decade the Pats fielded a very good team made it tolerable.

So he was in on the first offensive of the game, which makes sense since a 1st down would usually be a running play.

I'm not entirely certain what this has to do with the thread, though, other than as an excuse for tanked_as_usual to try to defend his opinions by bringing in something completely irrelevant to attack mine with.

what is means is that you don't know what you are talking about and are now trying to spin your way out......

yeah, sure......he was in on the first play of the game and then removed......sounds like a classic BB move......idiot

He was used more. He was a blocker. Some blocking tight ends play more than undersized unknown receiving tight ends.

For a TE that was never used as a blocker, 14 receptions isn't a lot.

Jermaine Wiggins was the starting TE in 2001.

Oh, so it's a different argument now, I get it.:rolleyes:

what is means is that you don't know what you are talking about and are now trying to spin your way out......

yeah, sure......he was in on the first play of the game and then removed......sounds like a classic BB move......idiot

Rutledge was projected as a 5th round draft pick in 1998. He was

a good blocker with very limited offensive potential. Bobby Grier

had Ben Coates as his offensive weapon and wanted a backup

tight end who could block. Grier drafted Rutledge in the 2nd round

over a lot of better all-around tight ends.

"Starter" means he was in on the first play of the game. It doesn't mean he was removed after, it means he was in on the first play of the game, nothing more nothing less.

But your argument was that Tebucky Jones was a terrible 1st round pick because Rod Rutledge was terrible. It makes far less sense than saying Wiggins was the Patriots' starting tight end in 2001.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back