PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

WEEI.com: Pats Tight End Spot Might Not Be All About The Benjamins

Status
Not open for further replies.
Where did this rumor/fallacy that Watson is a good blocker now, come from? If he's so good, can someone please post a youtube video or legit article talking about or demonstrating Watson's good blocking? I haven't seen it or noticed it in his 5 years here. In 1-TE sets, I won't be surprised to see Chris Baker or Alex Smith in there, and Watson on the bench, especially in the red zone.

Last edited:
Where did this rumor/fallacy that Watson is a good blocker now, come from? If he's so good, can someone please post a youtube video or legit article talking about or demonstrating Watson's good blocking? I haven't seen it or noticed it in his 5 years here. In 1-TE sets, I won't be surprised to see Chris Baker or Alex Smith in there, and Watson on the bench, especially in the red zone.

I beg to disagree we pull matt light on running downs and sometime he moves in to take a tackle to let mankins run down leaving a DE 1 on 1 with watson to block.You think when stephan neal cameback the right side runs yardage increased because him alone ?.what about the TE sealing the inside edge ?.
Yes its only for a few moments when the OL lumbers by but how was our rushing attack last year. watson played 80% of the offesnsive snap here. they could used ross to do it but instead watson was in their playing.
I say show the video of a DE penerating and dropping our runners behind the LOS where watson blew his assignment

Last year we were 7th in the league in rushing and the guy on the LOS blocking 80% of the time was watson yet i am shocked you think he had nothing to do and was just walking around aimlessly.

Last edited:
If Watson were the first pick of the second round, people wouldn't ***** about him nearly as much.

I wont argue jermaine wiggins, because he was the leading receiver the year culpepper almost won MVP and a guy named moss was on the team that year.

But watson did split time his first 3 years with daniel graham, so he's never been the clear cut starter before 2007. That year he had 6 receiving TD's not a big whup but notable considering all the weapons we had that year.

He's more naturally talented then the majority of TE's collecting paychecks in the league today. Im just saying you dont deal away talent like his unless the offer is pretty sweet or you have a stable of capable backups(which we have).

P.S if Devin hester has 6 Td this year he would have doubled his total during the 08 campaign and would be praised in chicago. So if watson has 6 TD and is probably our # 3 or # 4 option most plays how is that a bad thing

your arguments in this thread, make much more sense than 'mavs' ;)

Chris Baker played very well tonight.

The TE position isn't about off the charts speed/athleticism.

He's more naturally talented then the majority of TE's collecting paychecks in the league today.

This may be true, but only if you count all league tight ends including backups. Natural talent in speed, strength, athleticism makes for a combine superstar, not necessarily a better football player. At this point Watson isn't even the best TE on this team.

Last edited:
Baker made wide open catches.
Watson seems obviously better than Thomas and Smith. Time will tell but I'm happy with Baker even though I'm not sure he is our best TE

Baker is a blocker who is suppose to be a better blocker than watson but alot slower.

With baker you can move coverage from and put a LB as you are very confident that a slower LB can cover him.satz

It early, but I'm thinking either Baker is a better receiving TE than some give him credit for, or the "slower LB" they put on him tonight was a tad too slow.

This guy is going to have a great season for us. Like I mentioned in another thread, I define his great season as 40 rec., 500 Yards, 6 TDs and some solid help on the line. I see him as a mix between Watson and Graham. He will be the most complete TE we've had in many years.

A guy can hope right?

Baker looked good on those two TD catches. Even the Wendy's Guy made some second-half plays early on. (According to Criqui and Cross, Watson didn't even make the trip. Not a good sign, I would think. Welker didn't dress, but he was there at least. Maybe Watson didn't make the trip 'cause he was busy cleaning out his locker...)

Vrabel could've made those catches in his sleep let alone Watson and with Watson the catches wouldve looked even easier. And you can't tell me the eagles didn't have the scouting report on baker they played him as if he wasn't there for a reason......not a viable receiving option, but good job baker welcome to the best damn team in football

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe