PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

we NEED a WR

Status
Not open for further replies.

notex

Rotational Player and Threatening Starter's Job
Reaction score
our WR core is very efficient... very focused, hardworking, dedicated, and all have great work ethic... but we are really missing a real threat as a receiver, i think watson and graham are a bit overrated (not graham as a blocker, watson just needs to get some confidence) and im one of the biggest gaffney/caldwell/brown backers youll meet. But Chad Jackson hasnt shown me much and id love to get somebody who just gets IT... marques colston was a 7th rounder and had 1000 yards...CJ was almost 1st round and didnt produce even a fraction as much as that

....i understand we need depth at LB. but our D has been more then adequate this year and i think after addressing a LB/S/CB in the first (w/ 24 pick) that we should put some weapons around brady (seems fitting we spend a 1st on a WR since we traded branch for one).....we got lucky against SD, they helped us out with alot of dumb turnovers and penelties, our O just didnt look good.. i would love criticism, maybe im over-reacting but i really think our passing game needs a facelift, as well as our LB core. I think our DB will be fine and can be addressed somewhere besides the 1st round.

we could use another WR. I would like to see us address the LB via FA. I would give up a 1st and a 3rd for Lance Briggs...and maybe give Donnie Edwards a look as i think he is a FA. Briggs might be franchised, but i would get him anyway.

come on...

lets explain something here....

the saints traded stallworth to the eagles....that left joe horn on the right side...

and who was to fill in for stallworth?? colston had to compete with henderson and ....who copper???

the saints had a great #1, but needed a #2, so more chances were given to colston to prove his worth, since they had their go to guy in horn, just needed a back up guy

for the pats?

pats were still looking for the #1 guy, you could make the argument - the pats were looking for the #1 and #2 guy, so that shoudlve given jackson a whole lot of time, well since the pats were desparetly trying to find the #1 guy, they gave more time to the veterans, specifically brown, gabriel and caldwell...all receivers who were pretty much a better possession receiver than jackson....then the pats signed jabar gaffney, and gabriel went back....soon enough, brown caldwell and gaffney filled the shoes, they were interchangeable #1 and 2 WR's which made it more difficult to game plan against b/c brady had the option of 3 wr's, along with watson, running around the field getting open.....

and jackson was hurt this season....so that hurt his stock, he's only coming out of his rookie season...i'll give jackson 2 or 3 more years before i consider drafting another WR in the 2nd round

Last edited:
Depends on how Jackson is doing. If they think he's a bust, then yes we need some upside. But if they think he's getting it but not quite to the level of playing in these huge games then an offseason and training camp for him may be all it takes.

I'd expect a second or third round WR after teams fill their WR need in this deep, deep first round of WR.

They drafted Jackson last year. Should they draft a WR like him every year, and when he doesn't pan out just draft another one? Kind of a waste of a pick. Not that he won't turn out OK, maybe he will, but you need to give him time rather than just thinking you can solve all WR problems through the draft.

It didn't work with Jackson (yet), what makes you think another drafted WR will be any better.

It didn't work with Jackson (yet), what makes you think another drafted WR will be any better.
Well if they've decided Jackson is a bust (not likely), that doesn't mean they shouldn't try again. If they think he won't work out they just have to suck it up and try to pick better next time - like when they picked The Twig. I'm guessing they're a long way from giving up on Jackson, though.

Thoughts on Jackson

I think that when he arrived after the draft, the Pats found out he was extremely immature and not real bright.

I think he had a real hard time learning the playbook and the injury certainly didn't help. After playing early and running a bunch of wrong routes and finally being restricted to only running go routes, I think his confidence got shattered. And then the coaching staff became reluctant to go with a player lacking confidence.

I really think he needs a complete offseason to work on

a.) finally completing the transition to becoming a professional football player.
b.) learning all the nuances of the playbook and getting some serious reps with the QB's.
c.) re-building the confidence and proving to his coaches and team mates that he is a player.

Coincidentally I seem to remember writing something very similar to this about PK Sams a few years ago and we've seen how that worked out. Is this foreshadowing? Maybe???

They drafted Jackson last year. Should they draft a WR like him every year, and when he doesn't pan out just draft another one? Kind of a waste of a pick. Not that he won't turn out OK, maybe he will, but you need to give him time rather than just thinking you can solve all WR problems through the draft.

I don't think Notex is far off from addressing a need here.

Of course we need some young speed at LB.

I can't be more thrilled with the fact we have Gaffney, Caldwell, Brown and Jackson coming back next year. The first two are both great on outs, short and intermediate stuff. They were nice finds this year. However, this years WR's crop is deeper than last years and it may be the best year to grab that 6'3'' receiver to compliment the other guys, or a burner like a Ted Ginnn (not sure if he would fall far enough.)

As for Jackson, it takes a couple of years to develop a WR (David Givens comes to mind), and remember...Jackson came out as a Junior and had injuries. Not many rookies come in and contribute like Colston or Moss in their first year. Let's see if he turns the corner next year.

Here's how I look at next years draft needs.

a.) Try to get a potential shutdown corner or Safety (regardless of A. Samuel) . The top 4 or 5 corners all look to be front tier guys and one will last to the Pats / Seattle pick. If safety (plenty of these in Rd 1 and 2 that can help), you might have to move Eugene wilson to CB. Flexibility on your roster is nice.

b.) With the Pats second round pick, I'd be looking for the best LB available. It is definitely time to address this via draft & possibly through FA.

c.) You can definitely until the second round to draft a big wideout. However, if at the second pick you see a standout WR (like a Dewade Jarrett), I'd add that to the package and wait for the CB or LB in the second round as BB knows how to find gold in the second round. I'm sure some lesser known CB's from small schools will emerge and impress BB.

So, I'd do the following in the first few rounds:

CB-DB / WR / LB or
CB-DB / LB / WR or
LB / CB-DB / WR

Just pick the best available player of the 3 positions you need to fill. Remember, we have some later picks and to move up a bit if the perfect fit falls somewhere near any of those 3 early picks.

Daveydave

Last edited:
I think the Pats will grab a WR, but not in RD1. BB never has. I think they will try to grab a possession WR to play opposite Jackson. The Pats seem to love Gator WRs and Bellicheck's relationship with Urban Meyer kinda makes me believe it will be a Gator. They run the spread, which the Pats are very comfortable with. Coming into the draft is 6'3'' 207lb Dallas Baker from Florida. Here is a little write up on him

He could be a classic, underrated NFL possession receiver. He has excellent hands, runs tight routes, and is experienced in the spread offense. You're not going to see much speed out of him, which is what will cause him to slip in the draft, but his size more than makes up for these shortcomings. Multiple times this season he was able to elevate over DB's in jumpball situations and come down with the ball.

He is projected to go on the back half of the first day. I think he would be a good fit in New England.

Many have talked about grabbing Samardzija, but I think there are alot of question marks. He wants to play both baseball and football, something very tough to do especially since he is a pitcher. Pitcher's can become extremely worn out and by statistics are the most injured in baseball. He is very good, but will he be dedicated to the Pats?

I see some people almost giving up on Jackson, it's WAY too early for that. He never hit his rhythm with this offense, but give him another year. He just needs more time. I remember Branch struggling a bit in his rookie year, although he did contribute more than Jackson did in thier respective rookie years. I think Jackson will be fine eventually.

Last edited:
just wait till the '08 draft, and we can draft caldwell's brother lol

marques colston was a 7th rounder and had 1000 yards...CJ was almost 1st round and didnt produce even a fraction as much as that.
Glad you brought up Colston what a sweet find he was, been wondering if he was anywhere on our radar during the last draft? It just shows there are WR candidates out there that can be found anywhere in the draft (and after). Branch and Givens turned out good - PK and BJ not so good, but hey that is life in the big leagues. Think Chad remains to be seen - but wouldn't it be nice to see him show up a sometime SOON? like in the next two or three weeks........ It will be interesting to see how we go after a WR for next season, draft or FA?

i heard Colston was bad mouthed by his coaches. plus hes from a small football school.

not every year u get a Colston type of WR

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore