PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Watching the 2010 NFL Combine

Status
Not open for further replies.
one against OK St.

That is super fast. With a football. Against real defenders from a major program.

All that clip proves to me is that the defense was terrible on that play. The cornerback overran the play and was heading in the wrong direction. He couldn't reverse in time once the play got behind him. Nobody touched McCluster or even forced him to alter his course even a little.

Do I think Ben Watson could have run him down from behind? Yes, yes I do. But not all college defenses have guys that athletic playing safety.
Fact is that McCluster ran a lot slower in a straight line at the combine than guys weighing who weighed significantly more than him.
When a guy like Toby Gerhart who weighs 60 lbs more than you runs a faster 40, well that doesn't say much good about your straight line speed.
If you only weigh 172 lbs and stand 5'8, you better be a freaking speed merchant to make it in the NFL. Because you sure as hell aren't running over anybody.

Last edited:
All that clip proves to me is that the defense was terrible on that play. The cornerback overran the play and was heading in the wrong direction. He couldn't reverse in time once the play got behind him. Nobody touched McCluster or even forced him to alter his course even a little.

Do I think Ben Watson could have run him down from behind? Yes, yes I do. But not all college defenses have guys that athletic playing safety.
Fact is that McCluster ran a lot slower in a straight line at the combine than guys weighing who weighed significantly more than him.
When a guy like Toby Gerhart who weighs 60 lbs more than you runs a faster 40, well that doesn't say much good about your straight line speed.
If you only weigh 172 lbs and stand 5'8, you better be a freaking speed merchant to make it in the NFL. Because you sure as hell aren't running over anybody.

Straight-line speed is over-rated, the ability to accelerate and change directions is way more important. I rather doubt Welker's 40 time is that great but he can stop on a dime and go very fast very quickly.

Forget the defense. The only reason why they are interesting in this context is that it forced McCluster to run with his head up (as opposed to a sprint test). If you think that clip translates to "Toby Gerhart" speed, then I can't help you.

We can agree to disagree on this one.

That is a fact. Maybe he had a bad day. Maybe he just doesn't run well out of a block. I hope the other 31 teams evaluate his speed just on his 40 time. He is an ideal Faulk replacement and getting him with the last 2nd round pick would be a steal for the Pats.

That is a fact. Maybe he had a bad day. Maybe he just doesn't run well out of a block. I hope the other 31 teams evaluate his speed just on his 40 time. He is an ideal Faulk replacement and getting him with the last 2nd round pick would be a steal for the Pats.

McCluster is going to have to show me more to convince me that he's worth a 2nd round pick at this point.

By all objective measurements, straight line speed, McCluster does not have. But if he comes up big on the agility/quickness drills, he will look like a better prospect than he does currently.

Excuse me, if I wait for better performances at the combine before I dub him a 'great value.' Right now there are 4 or 5 different RBs at the combine that looked better than him. If McCluster were available in the 4th or later then that might make him a good value if his lack of size and durability concerns don't turn you off that is.

Last edited:
McCluster is going to have to show me more to convince me that he's worth a 2nd round pick at this point.

I agree. Maybe if the NCAA could figure out a way to get these players some more exposure outside of the combine. Maybe put them in more competitive situations like they will face in the NFL. You know, with blocking and tackling. Maybe then we could see how their skills really translate onto the football field. They could do this once a week to simulate the weekly NFL schedule. 12 or so games should be enough. Wonder why they don't do this.

I am not completely sold on McLuster, but I can say that on both of his runs he stumbled a little about 5 yards out of the gate. Also, watching the passing drill, you could see the quickness and speed translate well to the game

cody weighs in at 354. 15 lbs less then the senior bowl. Scary how much his weight fluctuates. He also rumbled an athletic 5.64 :)

Everson Griffen had a good day. He has the top bench press so far with 32 reps, and ran a fast 4.64 40 at 273lbs. At 6-3, I could definitly see the Pats targeting this guy.

Last edited:
cody weighs in at 354. 15 lbs less then the senior bowl. Scary how much his weight fluctuates. He also rumbled an athletic 5.64 :)

Everson Griffen had a good day. He has the top bench press so far with 32 reps, and ran a fast 4.64 40 at 273lbs. At 6-3, I could definitly see the Pats targeting this guy.

I weigh 225.

I hosted a 4-day conference a couple months back, working from 6 in the morning until 2 in the morning for 5 straight days. I managed to drink coffee all day, and had a bagel around 11, with a dinner around 9 pm.

After 5 days of this, I dropped 15 pounds.

I think if you're out doing stuff and you cut intake, you can drop a lot of weight. I often drop lots of weight on vacation.

Thaddeus Gibson has looked fluid to me in the linebacker drills, so did Sergio Kindle, Koa Misi, Jerry Hughes and Albert McClellan. Greg Hardy also moved good for a guy his size.

Last edited:
1. McCluster's time didn't really surprise me. I don't think anybody expected him to light up the 40. He's a jitterbug, not a sprinter.

2. I was hoping the Pats could nab Ben Tate in the 4th or so. Hard to see that happening now.

3. Trent Williams looks more fluid and agile than the majority of tight ends.

4. I expected Dorin ****erson to be a 4.45 guy. I did not expect him to be 6'4" 226. He might be the guy with one of the seconds. This is what happens when you don't work out, Aaron Hernandez.

5. Moeaki, Hardesty, and Graham ran much faster than I expected to. Right or wrong, their paychecks just got bigger.

6. I'm more convinced than ever that LeFoever is hiding something. I think he's a fraud.

7. Watch Lonyae Miller.

8. Don't worry about Jermaine Gresham and Jonathan Dwyer. The game tape shows them for what they are. Ditto Bruce Campbell, to his chagrin.

9. Evidently, Tony Pike is a dead ringer for Uncle Heatster...minus 15 years, of course.

Intrigued by McClellan. Hughes moves like a cat. If he can set the edge, that's our dude in the first round.

Really impressed by Hardy, who moves very well for 280lbs, and Austen Lane looks like he was built for 3-4 OLB. Very smooth, fluid and a very nice change of direction. Nice backpedal too.

I weigh 225.

I hosted a 4-day conference a couple months back, working from 6 in the morning until 2 in the morning for 5 straight days. I managed to drink coffee all day, and had a bagel around 11, with a dinner around 9 pm.

After 5 days of this, I dropped 15 pounds.

I think if you're out doing stuff and you cut intake, you can drop a lot of weight. I often drop lots of weight on vacation.

The difference is you're not running two-a-days against pro athletes. Weight fluctuations are not healthy and I can't seem him lasting long if he can't control it.

Last edited:
Man, Jason Pierre-Paul in with a 4.46, kid's got wheels.

Last edited:
Man, Jason Pierre-Paul in with a 4.46, kid's got wheels.

If accurate, that makes him a Top-8 pick. 270 lbs coming at you that quick? That's terrifying.

If accurate, that makes him a Top-8 pick. 270 lbs coming at you that quick? That's terrifying.

I think that's what I read.:eek: On second thought I THINK I might have read that wrong, it was more like 4.64

Last edited:
Pierre-Paul was timed at 4.64. Still impressive, but no so superhuman.

Thank you all for the correction, still not bad though like Rod stated.

Derrick Morgan with a pair of 4.72s

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference