PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Watching LSU-Arkansas, I'm convinced....

Status
Not open for further replies.
HUH did you even watch the football game??

Arkansas just UPSET #1 ranked LSU 50-48!
Mcfadden was EXTRAORDINARY and played a HUGE role in that upset!

His stat line for the game -

On the ground:
32 rushes 205 yards 3 touchdowns

Through the air:
3/6 34 yards 1 TD

http://sports.yahoo.com/ncaaf/boxscore?gid=200711230076

The kid does it ALL.

and he runs just like maroney did at minn. i want a more stocky runner.

anyway pats are not drafting a runner at 2 or 3...

There are plenty of good QBs in college. However. If QBs can't keep INTs down and Comp% up in college why do NFL teams think they will now? I believe most top collee QBs never learn pocket presence because they always have had amazing pass blocking. Once they face a pass rush they fold. Just like Troy Smith vs. Florida in last years BCS title game. Quick release helps but making good, quick decisions helps even more. David Carr and Alex Smith have all the tools but Matt Shaub and Tony Romo make plays and win games.

Derek Anderson had abysmal comp. % and TD/INT ratio in college and he turned out ok.

and he runs just like maroney did at minn. i want a more stocky runner.

anyway pats are not drafting a runner at 2 or 3...

In what dream world is Maroney as good as McFadden?
I suppose if he started to danced around indecisively, was more injury prone, didn't run between the tackles well, and couldn't carry the feature back load he would be the same as Maroney. :rolleyes:
He's way better than Maroney!

Last edited:
In what dream world is Maroney as good as McFadden?
I suppose if he danced around more indecisively, was more injury prone, didn't run between the tackles as well, and couldn't carry the feature back load he would be the same as Maroney. :rolleyes:
He's way better than Maroney!

I'm not getting into the "who's better" BS because McFadden simply hasn't made it to the pros yet. Thing is, did you watch Maroney at Minnesota? I ask because the person you responded to said he runs like Maroney did at Minnesota, which is slightly accurate. I watched Maroney in college. He'd get a lot of big gains, ran fast, carried the rock a ton, and didn't have durability concerns. They both have somewhat upright running styles, and they have both run in tremendously successful college rushing systems. Let's take a look at their college stats:

Maroney:
2005 1,464 rushing yards in 11 games on 281 attempts (5.2 ypc), 11 TD's
2004 1,348 rushing yards in 12 games on 217 attempts (6.21 ypc), 12 TD's
2003 1,121 rushing yards in 13 games on 162 attempts (6.91 ypc), 11 TD's

McFadden:
2007 1,725 rushing yards in 12 games on 304 attempts (5.67 ypc), 15 TD's
2006 1,647 rushing yards in 13 games on 284 attempts (5.79 ypc), 14 TD's
2005 1,113 rushing yards in 11 games on 176 attempts (5.32 ypc), 11 TD's

Obviously McFadden has put up better rushing totals both in yards and TD's. But would the potential improvement gained from drafting McFadden really be worth the $50-60M 6 year contract with $25-30M guaranteed that you'd likely have to ink McFadden to with such a high pick? Especially since Maroney's total contract is only $8.73M? I don't see it.

Last edited:
I'm not getting into the "who's better" BS because McFadden simply hasn't made it to the pros yet. Thing is, did you watch Maroney at Minnesota? I ask because the person you responded to said he runs like Maroney did at Minnesota, which is slightly accurate. I watched Maroney in college. He'd get a lot of big gains, ran fast, carried the rock a ton, and didn't have durability concerns. They both have somewhat upright running styles, and they have both run in tremendously successful college rushing systems. Let's take a look at their college stats:

Maroney:
2005 1,464 rushing yards in 11 games on 281 attempts (5.2 ypc), 11 TD's
2004 1,348 rushing yards in 12 games on 217 attempts (6.21 ypc), 12 TD's
2003 1,121 rushing yards in 13 games on 162 attempts (6.91 ypc), 11 TD's

McFadden:
2007 1,725 rushing yards in 12 games on 304 attempts (5.67 ypc), 15 TD's
2006 1,647 rushing yards in 13 games on 284 attempts (5.79 ypc), 14 TD's
2005 1,113 rushing yards in 11 games on 176 attempts (5.32 ypc), 11 TD's

Obviously McFadden has put up better rushing totals both in yards and TD's. But would the potential improvement gained from drafting McFadden really be worth the $50-60M 6 year contract with $25-30M guaranteed that you'd likely have to ink McFadden to with such a high pick? Especially since Maroney's total contract is only $8.73M? I don't see it.

Thank you. I'm tired of hearing Player X is better than Player Y based on Player X's stats against NCAA defenses and Player Y's stats in the Pros.

Let's not forget that as a sophmore Maroney came in and seized about 50% of the carries away from returning starter Marian Barber, who was a great back for the Gophers and is doing great things in Dallas. This wasn't a Brady/Henson situation where the Coach fell in love with a HS prospect....Maroney forced Mason to put him in the lineup with his performance.

Although they have different styles, I would expect Maroney and McFadden to have similar levels of productivity in the NFL, given the same offensive scheme and comparable talent around them.

Thank you. I'm tired of hearing Player X is better than Player Y based on Player X's stats against NCAA defenses and Player Y's stats in the Pros.

Let's not forget that as a sophmore Maroney came in and seized about 50% of the carries away from returning starter Marian Barber, who was a great back for the Gophers and is doing great things in Dallas. This wasn't a Brady/Henson situation where the Coach fell in love with a HS prospect....Maroney forced Mason to put him in the lineup with his performance.

Although they have different styles, I would expect Maroney and McFadden to have similar levels of productivity in the NFL, given the same offensive scheme and comparable talent around them.

These are different RBs! McFadden is a much more powerful runner than Maroney. And he runs effectively between the tackles. He does not need to get to the outside to hurt a defense. McFadden is an all around back that can come in and take the ball right from the get go. Just looking at the numbers you can see that McFadden is more productive and can carry the HEAVIER load. That's exactly what you want from a franchise, featureback. When Maroney was asked to carry the load... he came up lame. How can you depend on that to carry the run game? After Maroney, we're down to Evans and Eckel for goodness sake.

After watching the Eagles game, and the Pats total lack of run plays, I wonder just how much confidence the coaching staff has in Maroney. Very little it seems.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes