PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Was this a "rebuilding" year?

Status
Not open for further replies.
How's Chung looking? I had hopes for him as well as Brace. As well as the Patriots. Boy was I stupid.

If you're already giving up on Chung and Brace, then you're dumber than even I had imagined.

I'm still trying to grapple with how that's even possible! I mean, is there a worse poster on this site?

Last edited:
Wow you people really hate this team don't you. damn spoiled brats. If the Pats hadn't won 3 Sbs this decade and one 1 but were competive every year (think teams like denver and SD) we wouldn't be jumping off a bridge at a 1 and done play off year with the team that was put out there.

this team doesn't really "rebuild" like other teams do it seems to me they put in temporary piece to fill in the gaps and stay comptative and then move the fill ins for more permantant people.

so all you doomsayers get over it go find another team to root for and leave us real fans to OUR team.

Wow you people really hate this team don't you. damn spoiled brats. If the Pats hadn't won 3 Sbs this decade and one 1 but were competive every year (think teams like denver and SD) we wouldn't be jumping off a bridge at a 1 and done play off year with the team that was put out there.

this team doesn't really "rebuild" like other teams do it seems to me they put in temporary piece to fill in the gaps and stay comptative and then move the fill ins for more permantant people.

so all you doomsayers get over it go find another team to root for and leave us real fans to OUR team.

How is this hating? We need starting help at every positional grouping except QB and FG kicker. Add the insanely tough schedule to the mix, and next year could be scary. Nothing surprises me, and the Pats could have a blockbuster offseason, but lets be real.

It wasn't a rebuilding year. Enough with these excuses.

This wasn't a rebuilding year. We have Brady and Moss over the age of 32, Welker in his prime, our entire starting OL (besides Vollmer) either in their prime or in the decline, and our RBs besides Maroney all over the age of 30.

Our starting DL are also all in their prime or in the case of Jarvis Green, past it, OLBs are in their prime (Banta-Cain) or past it (Burgess, AD), and Bodden, Sanders, and Springs are all older players.

The only young guys getting significant minutes this year were Wilhite, Merriweather, Mayo, and Guyton, all on defense. Can you really call this year a rebuilding year if only 4 of the 22 starting players getting significant minutes are young?

Good posts I didnt feel comfortable with labeling this as rebuilding in my innital post but glad someone suggested transitional because that nails it. And I am far from a "homer" and a young guy as I started following the pats around 1980 and in most post im largely critical.

I also agree 2010 and 2011 will be very telling, will we climb back up the mountain or begin to slide down. With Brady in place I think we always have a shot at the playoffs but as we saw this year that doesnt mean elite by any means.

Obviously 2007 we were at the top even without a SB win, 2008 was hard to guage with the injury (although I would have liked to see that team in the playoffs last year they really came together at the end) 2007 was a definite disappointment for many of us when we didnt pick right up from 2007.

Cant wait to see what they do player/coach/draft wise. Also some of guys really need to relax this is meant to be a discussion.

We need starting help at every positional grouping except QB and FG kicker.

We're set at safety, and could use complimentary pieces elsewhere.

This is vastly overstated.

This team needs rebuilding. Whether it happens next year or not is the issue. And you're right--I really didn't like this team this year. As for being a spoiled brat, we'll I can remember going to games at Fenway Park when Babe Parilli was throwing to Gino Cappelletti. Thick and thin. No spoiled brat here.

That's a nice way of saying we need help at every position except one.

Which wouldn't be true, either, nor was it what I was saying. But thanks for attempting to put words in my mouth.

The only young guys getting significant minutes this year were Wilhite, Merriweather, Mayo, and Guyton, all on defense. Can you really call this year a rebuilding year if only 4 of the 22 starting players getting significant minutes are young?

Are you serious?

Edelman and Vollmer on offense. Connolly also saw time.

James Sanders is 26. Bodden is 28. Hardly older players. Darius Butler, Patrick Chung, and Myron Pryor also saw significant minutes.

I don't think it was a rebuilding year. Generally teams that are rebuilding don't make the playoffs. I do believe it was a transitional year, however.

Last edited:
If you're already giving up on Chung and Brace, then you're dumber than even I had imagined.

I'm still trying to grapple with how that's even possible! I mean, is there a worse poster on this site?

Nope. He is by far the stupidest piece of crap on this message board. Just put him on ignore, it will make your browsing here much easier.

Most teams rebuild and go 3-13, we made the playoffs. If you look at what went down:

Bru retires
Harrison retires
Vrabel traded
Seymour traded
Hobbs traded

We got alot younger but lost alot of experience and leadership on Defense. Am I just trying to put a label on it to make myself feel better? If your gunning for the superbowl I dont know how you can trade a Richard Seymour that trade smacks of 1 step back this year 2 steps forward down the road.

Offensively we didnt change much but we didnt really need to. We definatley needed WR help going in and Galloway not working out put us in a hole. I look at say GB and Ariz and I think there 3 and 4 guys are outstanding (Breaston, Jones, Doucet, that white kid for GB) we have Aiken and Edelmen. I love Edelman but his niche is exaclty the same as welkers. Loss of Gaffney really stands out IMO.

So was this "rebuilding" or just the normal "offseason" moves?

God, I hope so. I woke up in a cold sweat and wondered "What is 2010 is the rebuilding year?"

It's not an excuse, it's a fact of turnover. When 6 of your 11 defensive starters from the previous year are no longer there, it is a year of rebuilding, or transition as some call it. You're not going to replace more than half your defense and not skip a beat, unless this was the 80s and there was no cap to prevent signing pro bowl caliber players at each position needing attention.

Nope. He is by far the stupidest piece of crap on this message board. Just put him on ignore, it will make your browsing here much easier.

Yes, I make cogent points which homers like you immediately rail against. I like how suddenly I'm not the only person saying the offense is predictable or that Brady staring down moss every play is a problem. OR that the defense is woeful. Guess they're all POS too.

Patriots lose, my consolation prize is I get to say "I was right" to all those damn homers who mocked me, and you're the biggest homer on the board.

Can't wait until your boyfriend maroney gets cut.

Back to the OP.

YOu don't trade a 3rd and 5th for a one year rental on a JAG player during a rebuilding year.

You let people like Woods and Crable play just a little bit.

I am in full agreement that this team needs "rebuilding" but i'd rather them do it the way they are doing it (except bad draft pick trades) fill in stay competative and get what they need when they can i don't want to go back to even wht i started being a fan in the early 90's i feel really bad for the ones that ahd it worse in the 70's and 80's

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe