PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Was Moss still dictating coverages? BB says no.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Moss seemed to lose a step last year, let alone sucking this year...

Re: Was Moss still dictacting coverages? BB says no.

Yeah, i think he had become a one trick pony. Which was run as fast as he could down the sideline and sometimes slant in towards the goal line. I'm sure theres a name for that type of route but i don't know what its called.

An 8 route or a Post route.

You are just unbelievable. This translates to, 'anytime I don't want to believe BB he is lying and if I agree then he is not lying'.

I think you are turning her words around. BB rarerly if ever gets into specifics about players or behind the scene situations. But when people start talking x's and o's with him he clearly changes gears and goes off on long winded explanations.

In the end I believe him when he talks x's and o's and take anything he says about personnel, locker room, injury, and upcoming game planning issues with a huge grain of salt.

Tate needs the ball in his hands more, especially in space. He is explosive and dynamic in the open field. He should become the top playmaker in the WR corps, or at the very least be given that opportunity. He definitely has the speed to stretch the field and given that he was UNC's best WR before getting hurt, speaks volumes in light of Hakeem Nicks recent play.

Last edited:

Yeah, i think he had become a one trick pony. Which was run as fast as he could down the sideline and sometimes slant in towards the goal line. I'm sure theres a name for that type of route but i don't know what its called.

We used to call it the telephone pole route ... cut at the pole.

Jaws said on TV yesterday that Moss only ran one route all season while he was breaking down tapes - the 9 route. I think this allowed teams to give him more single coverage looks to Moss with minimal help over the top (Jonathan Joseph, Vontae Davis, Antonio Cromartie all had success on him one on one).

As i said in the other thread. Antonio Cromartie has success.

Jonathan Joseph & Vontae Davis not much success at all. The Bengals played single high safety in the first 3 quarters 3 times. Majority Cover 2.

The Dolphins besides a safety blitz by Yeremiah Bell on a first quarter play didn't have a safety anywhere near the line of scrimmage for 3 quarters.

Besides the Jets in the 2nd half of that game. Where was all this single coverage.

ESPN Boston reporter Mike Reiss said at the time of the trade Moss was playing close to 85% of the snaps this year. More then 10% higher then any other receiver on the team.

So if that doesn't scream of trying to dictate coverage just like we did in Minny then i don't know what to tell you.

You are just unbelievable. This translates to, 'anytime I don't want to believe BB he is lying and if I agree then he is not lying'.

No, I'm not. I'm telling you a fact about BB. I don't even believe he was "lying" about Moss, just not being that forthcoming. THERE IS NO REASON TO BE.

But get him going on football substance, X and O type stuff and you'll get a lot more out of him. Everyone who watches BB knows this. Everyone.

Btw, as a general point, it is asinine to think that because someone loves to go on and on about one thing (that is not really at all personal) then that automatically means everything he says MUST be as 100% genuine, even the personal. That's just plain naive.

I think you are turning her words around. BB rarerly if ever gets into specifics about players or behind the scene situations. But when people start talking x's and o's with him he clearly changes gears and goes off on long winded explanations.

In the end I believe him when he talks x's and o's and take anything he says about personnel, locker room, injury, and upcoming game planning issues with a huge grain of salt.

Thanks mgcolby, you're exactly right about what I was trying to say.

Last edited:

The only reason the Mustang got open was becasue the B-17s and B-24s were double and triple teamed. :bricks:

Besides, the P-38 Lightning was far superior. :D
The P-47 was more durable. :p

No, I'm not. I'm telling you a fact about BB. I don't even believe he was "lying" about Moss, just not being that forthcoming. THERE IS NO REASON TO BE.

But get him going on football substance, X and O type stuff and you'll get a lot more out of him. Everyone who watches BB knows this. Everyone.

Btw, as a general point, it is asinine to think that because someone loves to go on and on about one thing (that is not really at all personal) then that automatically means everything he says MUST be as 100% genuine, even the personal. That's just plain naive.

Thanks mgcolby, you're exactly right about what I was trying to say.

I agree with you in a sense, but you also have to remember that he doesn't give such direct and efusive praise of a player as he gave to Moss. This is also not a case of him opening up the X's and O's. He didn't go into detail about any X's and O's here aside from a general "there's been less of that" regarding very unspecific "dictating" of coverages. He also threw Wes' name in there of defenses not gameplanning specific receivers as time has gone on.

Now even if a team doesn't gameplan to assign 2 guys strictly to Moss the entire game, if they play a safety deep who tends to shade Moss' way that's still impacting coverages. When Moss and another close proximity receiver break and the safety chooses Moss almost 100% of the time, that's impacting coverages.

BB's words here are more similar to personal player opinion than to detailed X's and O's. The same argument that others have thrown around of "what else would he say" still applies here. Saying that Moss (or Wes) dictated the coverages here takes away from what others have done as well.

Last edited:
With the teams the Patriots will be playing the next few weeks , we should all be prepared for an adjustment period. If the Patriots can go 4-2 or even 3-3 in the next 6 games I will be happy.

Last edited:

I agree with you in a sense, but you also have to remember that he doesn't give such direct and efusive praise of a player as he gave to Moss. This is also not a case of him opening up the X's and O's. He didn't go into detail about any X's and O's here aside from a general "there's been less of that" regarding very unspecific "dictating" of coverages. He also threw Wes' name in there of defenses not gameplanning specific receivers as time has gone on.

Now even if a team doesn't gameplan to assign 2 guys strictly to Moss the entire game, if they play a safety deep who tends to shade Moss' way that's still impacting coverages. When Moss and another close proximity receiver break and the safety chooses Moss almost 100% of the time, that's impacting coverages.

BB's words here are more similar to personal player opinion than to detailed X's and O's. The same argument that others have thrown around of "what else would he say" still applies here. Saying that Moss (or Wes) dictated the coverages here takes away from what others have done as well.

Couldn't have said it myself.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back