Welcome to PatsFans.com

Vrabel cant play inside LB

Discussion in 'PatsFans.com - Patriots Fan Forum' started by bradybunch, Nov 27, 2006.

1. bradybunch

bradybunch Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

I think with him in there it kills our defense. Not because he is not good but thats not his spot we def need a ILB that can stop the run!

What does everyone else think?
  2. Remix 6

Remix 6 Rookie

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0

any better idea? hes best option there so we can put out the best combo of LBs
  3. bradybunch

bradybunch Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

i agree thats all we have but is there any free agnets worth bringing in?
    that anyone knows of?

Bring back Phifer
  4. BelichickFan

BelichickFan B.O. = Fugazi PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +37 / 2 / -3

#24 Jersey

I think you're wrong. He did a great job there last year.
  5. p8ryts

p8ryts Rookie

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

He solidified the defense in the middle last year. He will be ok.
  6. PATSNUTme

PATSNUTme Paranoid Homer Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +30 / 0 / -0

#75 Jersey

Do you remember last year? When he went inside and Hawk played safety the D started to click.

Drinking and posting don't mix.:eek:
  7. Sean Pa Patriot

Sean Pa Patriot Rookie

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0

#12 Jersey

I think he did solid playing inside last yr, but his desire is to be a OLB...
  8. AndyJohnson

AndyJohnson PatsFans.com Veteran PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +21 / 0 / -1

No. His desire is to win.
    I think there are very few jobs on a football field that Mike Vrabel cannot do well.
    He did a great job inside last year.

Remember, we use 2 ILBs on less than half the plays.

Vrabel hasnt moved to ILB. He spends half his time there, and the other half at OLB, which on 3rd down usually means DE.
  9. njpatsfan

njpatsfan Rookie

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

I think that you are thinking of the individual who was our full-time ILB BEFORE Bruschi came back.

R
  10. 5 Rings for Brady!!

5 Rings for Brady!! Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Vrabel is not the question mark. Tully at outside LB for the rest of the season is the question mark. We'll find out soon enough.
  11. patsfaninpa

patsfaninpa Rookie

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

It's a different technique playing inside. He will adjust and play much better next week. If you noticed, he took the outside should of the blocker and the rb was able to cut inside of him. That's how you play olb. Take the outside shoulder and try to drive thru the blocker outside/in. An ILB has to take the blocker straight up and create a pile. Vrabel is strong/tough enough to do that. And, he will be much better next week.
  12. JoeSixPat

JoeSixPat Rookie

Ratings:
    +24 / 0 / -0

Absolutely! Pretty much eveyone agreed he did an incredible job there last year - what's changed? Why can't he get the job done now? I don't understand.

Now his stats might suffer but that's the nature of the position - but Vrabel's a selfless guy so that's not an issue.

Also its pretty widely accepted that he's even more valuable on the outside, but that doensn't mean he can't play inside.

Not by a longshot. Heck - I think he may have played the majority of downs on the inside last year. All of a sudden now he's lost his ability?
    Last edited: Nov 27, 2006
  13. AVrabel50Fan

AVrabel50Fan Rookie

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

I think he is doing a fine job at ILB. I think our whole defense played well yesterday! I have to agree with the previous poster, however, that TBC is the question mark now.

I absolutely adore Vrabel (yes, I can say that, I am a woman! LOL) and I wish he would have got inbounds on that touchdown against the Packers! I hope he gets another TD this year, that would be sweet! :)
  14. BoTown

BoTown Rookie

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

Yeah, I wish Vrabel could stick to OLB. But at this point he's their best option at ILB. I think TBC can get the job done at OLB. He's been groomed for the position for the past 3 years anyway. Or who knows, maybe Pierre Woods can step up.
  15. AndyJohnson

AndyJohnson PatsFans.com Veteran PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +21 / 0 / -1

Well, maybe you have some different reasons, but its hard to be a Pats fan and not be a huge Vrabel fan.
    Along with Bruschi he seems to be the face of what the team attitude is about.
    I love how Vrabel will just do anything he needs to on the field and do it well.
    If he were the correct size he could play any postion on the field and be one of the better players in the NFL.
  16. Box_O_Rocks

Box_O_Rocks PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +25 / 0 / -0

Vrabes looked good on tape last year, from the time he started inside to the end of the season you could see his reaction speed picking up, he started out three steps behind Tedy and was down to one step by the end of the season, he'll be fine.

TBC is doing just fine and isn't a question mark of any great concern.

Folks need to slow down and remember who we play the rest of the way, Sanders, TBC, Vrabes, they get lots of game speed practice time against the Lions, Titans, Dolphins, etc. Folks who have been 'vining' about team speed should be celebrating with the TBC addition - unless you thought Seau was faster...
  17. unoriginal

unoriginal Rookie

Ratings:
    +16 / 0 / -0

18. italia44

italia44 Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

BOX......luv ya man.....but your dreaming.

TBC is a situational rusher,at best,is,in
    no way,the answer to losing Seau.

IMO.TBC is regressing and will turn out to be a real problem,if we choose to start him.

What is it? 3 yrs on the roster and TBC isn't good enough to replace any of our aging LB's?

Sorry.....he's a wasted draft pick
  19. Box_O_Rocks

Ratings:
    +25 / 0 / -0

Well if it's a choice between your reality and my fantasy...;) Though I do have to ask which aging OLBs you were referring too?
  20. italia44

italia44 Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Not taking a shot at you BOXMAN.....
    I just believe that TBC is a backup,at best......I think BB thinks the same.
    I watch the players,as much,if not more then most fans.I think he's mediocre and not the answer.

The aging LB's are:

1.Bruschi
    2.Vrabel
    3.Seau
    4.Izzo
    5.Davis

Does this denigrate their contribution?

Off course not......but they are aging.
  21. 2_LAW_4

2_LAW_4 Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

The pats should consider returning to a 4-3 front.

It keeps Vrabel and Colvin at OLB, Bruschi at MLB, and TBC off the field.

We can have Green and Seymour on the edges with Wilfork and Warren inside. At this point, we're more thin at LB than DL. Why not put the best seven out there?
  22. Box_O_Rocks

Ratings:
    +25 / 0 / -0

Heh, no points off for a disagreement between friends, don't pet the sweaty stuff amigo.

We'll agree to read BB's mind differently, but the question I'd ask - how many situational reps did Matt Chatham take at OLB in 2003 while Colvin was on IR? TBC is taking reps, the same way Rosey took reps in 2004 and the same way he tooks reps before Vrabes was moved inside in 2005. If you are going to sit Willie or Vrabes for Rosey, aren't you planning to use him in situations better suited to his best skill set? TBC is being used exactly the same way Rosie was used in 2004 and early 2005 - I base my read on BB's "thinking" from that and my own look at him on tape.

1.Bruschi - over 30, but barring a freak incident, would you say his mileage was the same as a Ted Johnson or Brian Urlacher? He was in his prime mentally and not that far past it physically. I've read comments here saying he is playing below his previous level, but that assumes he didn't bulk up expecting to be the TJ-role ILB alongside Beisel. I certainly wouldn't want him to be dropping a bunch of weight once the season started. Seau was a surprise signing for everybody and Tedy has looked pretty darned good to me.

2.Vrabel - over 30, but I'd say he's in his prime yet.

3.Seau - granted, but he was holding up pretty well in this defense.

4.Izzo - as a Special Team's player, maybe. I still think he wouldn't be too bad playing in Indy or anywhere else they like small, fast LBs.

5.Davis - granted, but he is still taking practice reps at SS when needed for insurance, doing well on STs, and is #4 in the ILB rotation - lest we forget, TBC is #3 in the OLB rotation.

But that begs the point, you've listed 4 ILBs, TBC is playing OLB, why would you expect him to beat out more experienced and reputedly decent OLBs like Vrabel and Colvin?
  23. lobster

lobster Rookie

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

Belichick seems to prefer the 3-4 because it allows an extra LB who can help in pass coverage. However if he hasn't got the LB's who can cover and stop the run he probably would move to the 4-3. It would be Wilfork and Seymour on the inside with Warren and Green on the outside.
    Last edited: Nov 28, 2006
  24. Box_O_Rocks

Ratings:
    +25 / 0 / -0

Welcome aboard!

Why would you use Sey at 4-3 DE when Warren has been the one they used there in past 4-3 sets? Not to mention Warren's play this year makes him better suited to the edge and Sey eats G's for breakfast.

But that begs the next question - why is a keeping TBC off the field an improvement? Detailing flaws in his game, with specific examples, would be really useful to your argument. ;)

The nice thing about the 4-3, the Pats currently have the DL depth to use it more with Mike Wright playing so well. But if you want the best 7, then a 3-4 with Vrabes inside and TBC outside is it.
  25. italia44

italia44 Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

We're pretty much on the same page,Box.

I thought you were asking me who I thought were the "aging LB's",OLB or ILB.That's why included Davis and Izzo.
    They're both,roster-wise,LB's.

I think Vrabel and Bruschi are terrific,
    however,I believe they're past their prime......Teddy,especially,has lost a step or two and is a liability in coverage.

For these reason's,I think we need more speed and mobility at LB....not TBC,who doesn't have these qualities.

Despite the conclusions by some on this board......We will not go 4-3,we'll play it sometimes,as a changeup,but BB
    is a 3-4 guy.This is our base defense and it's not going to change this year.

Also,predominately,we're not a Cover 2
    team....that requires speed at LB to cover the center of the field.We don't have the LB's to play this defense all the time.

We need to see TBC in coverage and tackling in space......I don't think he can do it....but,regardless,it's 3-4 or bust......BB is not going to change that as our base.
  26. Box_O_Rocks

Ratings:
    +25 / 0 / -0

Yep, we're in "almost" complete agreement about TBC. :D

Tedy looks to be playing heavier than he has in the past - of course he was supposed to be the in the TJ role with Beisel expected to play his old weakside role. The Beisel/Seau changeover kind of upset that and I wouldn't want him dropping weight to get faster at the start of the season.

Vrabes is plenty fast enough in mid-field coverage, and it may be a stretch to call Tedy a liability.