Votes: 6 11.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

PromisedLand

Virtual Internet Person
Reaction score
What area of the team are you most concerned about at this point? It's certainly early and no one (almost?) is panicking, but as with most teams there are some question marks about the 2006 Patriots.

I have listed several positions which have been discussed as areas of concern. Please indicate which area is your greatest concern.

Last edited:
I'm not concerned about any area of the team . . . right now.

It's just the start of training camp. I'll hone in on any concerns when I see who gets cut and who's left on the final roster. I don't worry until the stage when we see the final cast of characters that Bill thinks will give the team the best chance of winning a lot of games. He has been quite successful in years past. :cool:

defensive backfield, we still need a number one corner (assuming Wilson plays better at free safety), and a strong safety (Hawkins is a scrub, sorry but it's true), the secondary will get torn up until Harrison comes back

edzo44 said:
I'm not concerned about any area of the team . . . right now.

It's just the start of training camp. I'll hone in on any concerns when I see who gets cut and who's left on the final roster. I don't worry until the stage when we see the final cast of characters that Bill thinks will give the team the best chance of winning a lot of games. He has been quite successful in years past. :cool:
Maybe I should have phrased the question differently. Clearly there will be roster changes between now and week 1 (and after that as well). But my question goes to the current roster.

So if you prefer, answer this question: if you were BB, which area would you most be concerned about at this time and looking for possible roster additions to shore up?

I voted LB quality and depth, but I'd have to put an asterisk there. If Bruschi is playing then I'm happy with the quality. It's the depth that's a problem if any of the starters goes down.

I chose the WR and depth option, however it needs qualification as I think Watson and the TE group will have some ability to stretch the defense.. now I think more about it, I am more concerned about the LB group.

Last edited by a moderator:
GJAJ15 said:
I chose the WR and depth option, however it needs qualification as I think Watson and the TE group will have some ability to stretch the defense.. now I think more about it, I am more concerned about the LB group.
Me too. I've posted this already in a couple of other threads, but my feeling is that we have only three proven quality starters (Bruschi, Vrabel and Colvin) to man four positions. Everyone else on the roster either has major question marks (Beisel, Brown, TBC), is known to be just a backup (Davis, Klecko) or lacks experience in our system. And if one of the three is out (almost a certainty) at some point during the season we are down to TWO good linebackers for four spots. I don't even want to think about what happens if we lost two or more of the three for any period of time.

Last edited:
GJAJ15 said:

It's an area of concern, but as I think you illustrated, its one for which TEs & RBs can compensate in a worst case scenario, as long as we can keep enough of a deep threat to keep Defenses honest, allowing the short passing and running game to do its work.

The saying "Defenses win Super Bowls" isn't too far off the mark. Secondary quality and depth is always a concern - but that can be compensated for as well, as we've seen first hand.... but what can most compensate for the lack of such depth in the case of injury, is pressure up front... and it wasn't until the LBs and DEs were allowed to put pressure on offenses that we saw the DBs get the help they desparately needed and right the ship last year.

So right now the lack of LB depth is my biggest concern.

Last edited:
LB and it isn't even close. It has always been the foundation of the BB defense over the years.

We play 4, I have faith in 3. If 1 of the 3 is hurt, it is scary. If 2....let's not think about it.

It is one thing to have injuries at corner. it is quite another to have searched for months for a starting corner, and end up converting a safety. bb knows he has a problem. You all may be fine with Hobbs, Samuel and Gay (if he ever plays), Scott, and Warfield (not catching on well). I don't think bb is satisfied. Na don't look to him to extend Samuel anytime soon.

And as always, we are condiering robbing Peter to pay Paul. Hawkins is an OK jag, fine to play until Harrison is ready. And which of the four special teamers is starting on the other side?

dhamz said:
LB and it isn't even close. It has always been the foundation of the BB defense over the years.

Which is why I believe the selection of Dean Pees, former LB coach, as DC makes so much sense... all DCs for all teams at some point have to make defensive concessions based on injuries - its all about covering up those liabilities, and I think Pees can get more out of his LB corps, no matter who they are, than any of the other options we had for DC.

I'm not a Mangini basher, but I tend to think that had it been Pees call last season, the LB "hounds" would have been unleashed a lot sooner, giving the depleted DB corps some much needed relief

Man, I wish this was multiple choice poll. I'm concerened with LBs, WRs and the DBs...

T-ShirtDynasty said:
Man, I wish this was multiple choice poll. I'm concerened with LBs, WRs and the DBs...
Sorry, but the question was which area are you MOST concerned with! Get off the fence and take a stand! :D

PromisedLand said:
Sorry, but the question was which area are you MOST concerned with! Get off the fence and take a stand! :D
Jeebus, you don't have to call me old and cranky. ;) I picked WR, just because I'm honestly clueless as to how the Branch situation is going to work out. But LB and DB is close behind. I was comfortable last year with the defensive backfield, and look how that turned out. Y'know.

\

T-ShirtDynasty said:
Jeebus, you don't have to call me old and cranky. ;) I picked WR, just because I'm honestly clueless as to how the Branch situation is going to work out. But LB and DB is close behind. I was comfortable last year with the defensive backfield, and look how that turned out. Y'know.

\
I'm pretty confident that Branch will return at some point because he is going to forfeit his whole $1M salary if he doesn't, and then the Pats can still franchise him. Otherwise I'd agree with you about WR.

What me worry??

In answer to Keegs from another thread....take it from this old cranky guy.......

All that concerns me with this team, this year, is..will I be able to score Superbowl tickets again this year (been to the last 4 we were in) and will my accomodations on South Beach be to my liking!!!

14-2
#1 seed

AFC Championshion won by a feild goal over the Colts on 1/21/07.

Superbowl rout of Drew and TO - 38-17

See y'all on South Beach in Feb!!

PromisedLand said:
Me too. I've posted this already in a couple of other threads, but my feeling is that we have only three proven quality starters (Bruschi, Vrabel and Colvin) to man four positions. Everyone else on the roster either has major question marks (Beisel, Brown, TBC), is known to be just a backup (Davis, Klecko) or lacks experience in our system. And if one of the three is out (almost a certainty) at some point during the season we are down to TWO good linebackers for four spots. I don't even want to think about what happens if we lost two or more of the three for any period of time.

Yeah I've beat the LB situation to death myself.

My conclusion? There has to be some LB situations BB is waiting on. We have to be looking to pickup or trade for training camp cuts.

Otherwise, you'll have to give me a crystal ball to see how we replenish talent at the position since we don't want to draft them.

Concerned?

That isn't even in my rose-colored dictionary.

T-ShirtDynasty said:

\
You are old and cranky, which must make you tight (or at least your belt). :mad:

I choose other: The Owner, he's just not a risk taker like Lurie in Philly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft