PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

VJCPatriot's 3/30 Patriots Mock Draft!

Status
Not open for further replies.

VJCPatriot

Pro Bowl Player
Reaction score
Well it's the end of March now so time for another updated mock. This time I endeavor to make at least 10 selections! In both 2009 and 2010 the Patriots selected 12 players overall. Not all rookies will make the team but did we get some gems there amidst the debris? I see the value in this draft to be in the 40-50s. So that's where I'll focus my efforts. But you may diverge as you see fit.

Here are the rules.

1. Use the CBS ranking chart. On Day 1, stick to exact ranked value, Day 2 up to 3 slots above, Day 3 up to 5 slots above. (Gonna tighten this up here to make it harder, more realistic to draft.)
2. You may make trades using the trade value chart. But the team must own all the picks that you are trading for. See NFL picks by team link.
3. Have fun! Try to pick at least TEN players!

CBS Ranking chart (Updated 3/26 as of this post):
NFL Draft - 2011 Draft Prospects - CBSSports.com - NFLDraftScout.com

NFL Trade Value Chart:
Draft Countdown - Trade Value Chart

NFL Picks by Team:
2011 NFL Draft Picks by Team

Here are the Pats picks:
17,28,33,60,74,92,123,156,&184

Here we go:

Day 1

Trade UP #17 (950)+ #74 (220) to Detriot for #13 (1150) + #179 (19.8). Detroit trades down a little because it is slightly early to take a corner and they need more picks in the top three rounds. I project them to take CB Brandon Harris.

#13 JJ Watt DE, Wisconsin. This kid has the athleticism that reminds you of guys like Julius Peppers and Richard Seymour. All in a 290 lb 6'5 package. He could become a very special player who can do it all given the time to grow and should make an immediate impact on rushing downs as well. This kid has a relentless motor, high character, and upside. Most importantly he fills a team need for the Pats at DE.

Trade DOWN #28 (660) to Tennessee for #39 (510), #108 (78), #139 (37). Titans trade up to get the last 1st round QB left. I project them to select Christian Ponder.

Day 2

Trade DOWN #33 (580) to San Diego for #50 (400) + #82 (180). Chargers move up with the Patriots as rumored and select a DB to shore up their secondary. I project them to pick Aaron Williams from Texas.

#39 Leonard Hankerson WR, Miami. This guy is capable of matching up against the more physical Jets corners and has the talent, size, and makeup to be a #1 down the road. He's adept at creating separation and had a great showing in the Senior Bowl against top college level talent.

#50 Brooks Reed OLB, Arizona. Reed provides much needed passrush to a Patriot defensive unit that was lacking in that area last season. Together with Cunningham, the Pats now have two promising OLBs to put the heat on the QB. In the middle of round 2, I think BB is willing to take on another conversion project with upside.

#60 Rahim Moore FS, UCLA. The Pats shore up the middle of their pass defense with one of the best ballhawking safeties out of this year's draft crop.

Day 3

Trade UP #82 (180) + #123 (49) to St Louis for #78 (200) + #175 (21). The Rams trade down slightly and get another 4th rounder in the process.

#78 James Carpenter OT Alabama. The Patriots strengthen the lines and prepare for the departure of either Light or Kaczur.

#92 Shane Vereen RB, California. Vereen is a speedy and versatile RB who can catch the ball out of the backfield and is a threat to score given a crack of daylight. A nice complimentary player to BJGE for a Thunder/Lightning tandem.

#108 Buster Skrine CB, Chattanooga. Due to his athletic showcase at the Combine, Skrine has been moving up draft boards. He shows the elite agility and burst BB seeks in a nickel corner.

#139 John Moffitt OG, Wisconsin. Moffitt is a tough, strong OG who could develop into a good interior lineman down the road after going through Dante's school of training.

#156 Greg Romeus DE, Pittsburgh. Rolling the dice on the injury risk in case he turns out to be a stud. This late in the draft, why not gamble on greatness?

#175 Julius Thomas TE, Portland St. No Patriots draft is complete without a tight end. Thomas is an athletic prospect in the mold of Aaron Hernandez. His lack of experience, not his athletic ability is what drops him this far down.

#179 Brandon Fusco C, Slippery Rock. A big, strong center who could be trained by Dante to replace Koppen down the road.

#184 David Carter DT, UCLA. The Pats have reportedly shown some interest in the kid. Could make for a versatile lineman to compete with the others for backup playing time. At 6'5 297, Has the size to play DE as well.

Notes: Thanks for reading! This was a lot of work, hope you had fun reading it and creating your own mock. I don't anticipate doing another mock till close to draft time and that one will probably be a 3 round mock with all 32 NFL teams. OK, braces for criticism, let me have it then!

Last edited:
Great effort and an interesting read..

I definitely see 1 trade happening.. 2.. I can still see it but not as likely.. I remember reading an article regarding last years draft with the Rams. THey thought they would get tons of offers for the 33rd pick but in reality, they were really low.. Initially I thought we'd trade #33 without a question. Now i'm thinking #28 is the way to go..

Question (and I'm not a huge CFF) is Watts that good? Everything I hear about him is he's a good 5 tech player but is a level behind Jordan in the pass rushing skills..
Plus he has limited starts in the DL since converting. Doesn't BB lean towards drafting with our #1 pick seniors who have a boat load of playing time at their position

It was a great read but something is telling me that for wither 28 or 33 they are getting a first next year (or next draft)

A) Your trades work fine for me.
B) Day 1 is fine.
C) I disagree with all 3 Day 2 picks.
I'd rather have HOUSTON, IJALANA and WEISNEWSKI than Hankerson, Reed and Moore.
I think free agency is the time for a wide receiver, except for a late stab.
D) I'd rather WR MOORE and QB McELROY than Moffit and Romeus.
================================
Day 1
B) WATT
I might have taken Jordan. It's close. But either one would be great.
I think Detroit would then take the Best Tackle Available.
============================
Day 2 (We have 39, 50 and 60 to work with)
You cheated a bit with Reed at 50, but that's fine.

39 and 50 I'd rather have HOUSTON and IJALANA
I'm not waiting for Moffitt at 139.

60 MOORE
I'm fine with Moore or Darling. But I might go with another Grizzly here: Boling or WIESNEWSKI.
==============
DAY 3
I'm fine with CARPENTER, VAREEN, SKRINE, THOMAS, FUSCO, and CARTER ( 6 out of 8)
139 I think that this is the time for a WR: Denarious MOORE or Ronald JOHNSON
156 McELROY the required quarterback

Last edited:
This took me some time, thank goodness I am at work.

Trade 17 and 123 to Atlanta for 27 + 59 Atlanta moves up of a DE choose Kerrigan or Clayborn I would think Kerrigan.

Patriots

27 M WIlkerson DT
28 D Sherrod OT
33 A Ayers OLB
59 R Moore FS
60 S Wisniewski C
74 C Boling OG
92 S Vereen RB
156 M Herzlich OLB
184 J Ried OT

Flame on but I really like it.:singing:

Trades, trades, trades!

This is a binky-heavy draft, and is probably not very similar to what the Patriots will do come draft day. I made this draft on my own, and then checked to see if the player values matched the CBS rankings. I had to switch two or three players around, but I managed to get every player I had already targeted. I enjoyed putting it together. :)

I am not sure if the picks listed are accurate. According to 2011 Patriots Draft Picks | NE Patriots Draft we have slightly different picks in the latter parts of the draft. I am going to use their draft order for this exercise, although I will stick to the CBS prospect rankings.

TRADES

All trades are consistent with the trade chart or replicate actual trades in the past, courtesy of Adamjt13's research.

NE trades 17 to ATL for 27 and 59. NE trades 28 to SD for 50 and 61. NE trades 33 to DAL for 40 and 71.

- -=- -

27) WR Leonard Hankerson - Miami. Gives us a big bodied, highly productive receiver with savvy route-running ability and good physicality. Extremely smooth player in the tradition of former U alumni Reggie Wayne and Andre Johnson; I envision him playing near their level in the NFL.

40) OT Benjamin Ijalana - Villanova. Shorter than the average tackle at a shade under 6'4, Ijalana has extremely long arms, great mobility, and explosive run-blocking power. Matches up well against the undersized and explosive pass-rushers of our main rivals, in my opinion, with a low center of gravity and exceptional movement skills. Also has the power to handle big 34 DEs. In this scenario, Light moves on to FA.

50) OG Orlando Franklin - Miami. Although Franklin doesn't fit our typical guard profile, he's a nasty, nasty run-blocker who has surprising mobility when pulling. He's big enough to play tackle in a pinch, but would form the scariest RG-RT tandem in the league paired up with Sebastian Vollmer.

59) DT/DE Kenrick Ellis - Hampton. Our Seymour replacement. Has severe question marks, but on physical skills alone is probably worth a top-20 pick. He reminds me of a much bigger and more athletic of Brace--the good version of Brace who flashed considerable skills in 2010. After Warren retires, a front three of Brace-Wilfork-Ellis is almost impossible to run against. Ellis' 40 career tackles for a loss also speak well of his ability to collapse the pocket and penetrate against the run.

60) DE/LB Allen Bailey - Maimi. An athletic marvel who shed 10 pounds since his combine (which was generally excellent), and went through linebacker drills after studying film with BB for hours. He has real potential as a strongside linebacker who can also line up across the line in a four-man front, and take a few snaps as a pass-rushing 34 end on passing downs like Jarvis Green used to do so effectively. Has the versatility and power that have led some to peg Jordan and Bowers as good fits for the Patriots, but can be had a round and a half later, thus minimizing the risk. Maimi is this year’s Florida.

61) OG James Carpenter – Alabama. Another interior linemen who can step right in and play this year. Proven in the tough SEC, Carpenter would pair with Ijalana to give us a young, stout, athletic, and powerful left side. (I’m anticipating a new CBA prior to the season, which would bring back player trades; in this scenario, Mankins nets us a future first.)

71) C/FS Ras-i Dowling – Virginia. Big, physical defensive back with excellent ball skills. Can play press-man at a high level, and knows how to track the ball in flight. Tackles with authority. Would make an exceptional tandem with Chung once Meriweather moves on in FA in another year, and can also slide down to cover TEs and bigger outside receivers. Versatile, productive, and talented player.

74) CB Buster Skrine – Chattanooga. Elite athlete, although a tad undersized. Fitting that we use this pick on him, since we acquired it through the Randy Moss trade. Skrine was raw when I saw him against Auburn this year, but all reports from his pro day say that his footwork was lightyears ahead of where it was at the combine, which shows a hard worker and fast learner—I absolutely love his upside as a nickel back and as a returner. His punt return skills are electrifying.

92) RB Delone Carter – Syracuse. Old-school workhorse back with surprising agility given his no-nonsense, hard-charging style. Will remind of BJGE, but with greater burst and elusiveness. Is similar to MJD of the Jags, in some respects. I love his attitude when running the ball, and he seems to have a good feel for holes and displays praiseworthy balance through contact. Good value at this position. I like his vision.

125) OC Brandon Fusco – Slippery Rock. Good size, agility, and power; he represents a major upgrade over Koppen in the middle of the line, and has the size and strength to handle the nose tackles in our division. Adept at pulling and blocking at the second level, he projects to be a second-year starter once he has all the terminology down and can make line calls. Will be a top-end player, in my opinion.

159) RB Mario Fannin – Auburn. An extremely fast player who has good power to his game, Fannin is not very natural through the tackles, but is the best pass-blocking back I saw play this year. He has very good hands, and occasionally lines up wide against corners. Very good in the open field, he displays great agility, speed, and power and consistently picks up good RAC. Could make a good rotational full-back/third down back who can block, catch, and run quality routes, as well as making a name for himself on special teams. Replaces the venerable and much-loved Sammy Morris.

189) LB/DE Mario Harvey – Marshall. One of my favorite players in the entire draft, Harvey is a powerfully built linebacker whose propensity for tackling has earned him the nickname “Thumper.” His 420 career tackles illustrate his productivity, and his 4.4 speed gives him the ability to be a phenomenal special teamer. He has experience playing defensive end as well as middle linebacker, and enjoyed a nine sack season. His size, leverage, speed, and power remind me of Elvis Dumervil, but Harvey is both faster and a more natural linebacker. Love his potential at numerous positions, both inside and out.

Seriuos work done here Kudos.

I wonder aloud how many picks will we really take and be able to play for us...

Therefore Pats roll into next year as usuall

NO more than 5 rookies could make this team in my view but maybe more with
faulktaylor other departures???

It wasn't bad at all. I'm not a big fan of Brooks Reed but other than that It's a solid draft.

Trades, trades, trades!

This is a binky-heavy draft, and is probably not very similar to what the Patriots will do come draft day. I made this draft on my own, and then checked to see if the player values matched the CBS rankings. I had to switch two or three players around, but I managed to get every player I had already targeted. I enjoyed putting it together. :)

I am not sure if the picks listed are accurate. According to 2011 Patriots Draft Picks | NE Patriots Draft we have slightly different picks in the latter parts of the draft. I am going to use their draft order for this exercise, although I will stick to the CBS prospect rankings.

TRADES

All trades are consistent with the trade chart or replicate actual trades in the past, courtesy of Adamjt13's research.

NE trades 17 to ATL for 27 and 59. NE trades 28 to SD for 50 and 61. NE trades 33 to DAL for 40 and 71.

- -=- -

27) WR Leonard Hankerson - Miami. Gives us a big bodied, highly productive receiver with savvy route-running ability and good physicality. Extremely smooth player in the tradition of former U alumni Reggie Wayne and Andre Johnson; I envision him playing near their level in the NFL.

40) OT Benjamin Ijalana - Villanova. Shorter than the average tackle at a shade under 6'4, Ijalana has extremely long arms, great mobility, and explosive run-blocking power. Matches up well against the undersized and explosive pass-rushers of our main rivals, in my opinion, with a low center of gravity and exceptional movement skills. Also has the power to handle big 34 DEs. In this scenario, Light moves on to FA.

50) OG Orlando Franklin - Miami. Although Franklin doesn't fit our typical guard profile, he's a nasty, nasty run-blocker who has surprising mobility when pulling. He's big enough to play tackle in a pinch, but would form the scariest RG-RT tandem in the league paired up with Sebastian Vollmer.

59) DT/DE Kenrick Ellis - Hampton. Our Seymour replacement. Has severe question marks, but on physical skills alone is probably worth a top-20 pick. He reminds me of a much bigger and more athletic of Brace--the good version of Brace who flashed considerable skills in 2010. After Warren retires, a front three of Brace-Wilfork-Ellis is almost impossible to run against. Ellis' 40 career tackles for a loss also speak well of his ability to collapse the pocket and penetrate against the run.

60) DE/LB Allen Bailey - Maimi. An athletic marvel who shed 10 pounds since his combine (which was generally excellent), and went through linebacker drills after studying film with BB for hours. He has real potential as a strongside linebacker who can also line up across the line in a four-man front, and take a few snaps as a pass-rushing 34 end on passing downs like Jarvis Green used to do so effectively. Has the versatility and power that have led some to peg Jordan and Bowers as good fits for the Patriots, but can be had a round and a half later, thus minimizing the risk. Maimi is this year’s Florida.

61) OG James Carpenter – Alabama. Another interior linemen who can step right in and play this year. Proven in the tough SEC, Carpenter would pair with Ijalana to give us a young, stout, athletic, and powerful left side. (I’m anticipating a new CBA prior to the season, which would bring back player trades; in this scenario, Mankins nets us a future first.)

71) C/FS Ras-i Dowling – Virginia. Big, physical defensive back with excellent ball skills. Can play press-man at a high level, and knows how to track the ball in flight. Tackles with authority. Would make an exceptional tandem with Chung once Meriweather moves on in FA in another year, and can also slide down to cover TEs and bigger outside receivers. Versatile, productive, and talented player.

74) CB Buster Skrine – Chattanooga. Elite athlete, although a tad undersized. Fitting that we use this pick on him, since we acquired it through the Randy Moss trade. Skrine was raw when I saw him against Auburn this year, but all reports from his pro day say that his footwork was lightyears ahead of where it was at the combine, which shows a hard worker and fast learner—I absolutely love his upside as a nickel back and as a returner. His punt return skills are electrifying.

92) RB Delone Carter – Syracuse. Old-school workhorse back with surprising agility given his no-nonsense, hard-charging style. Will remind of BJGE, but with greater burst and elusiveness. Is similar to MJD of the Jags, in some respects. I love his attitude when running the ball, and he seems to have a good feel for holes and displays praiseworthy balance through contact. Good value at this position. I like his vision.

125) OC Brandon Fusco – Slippery Rock. Good size, agility, and power; he represents a major upgrade over Koppen in the middle of the line, and has the size and strength to handle the nose tackles in our division. Adept at pulling and blocking at the second level, he projects to be a second-year starter once he has all the terminology down and can make line calls. Will be a top-end player, in my opinion.

159) RB Mario Fannin – Auburn. An extremely fast player who has good power to his game, Fannin is not very natural through the tackles, but is the best pass-blocking back I saw play this year. He has very good hands, and occasionally lines up wide against corners. Very good in the open field, he displays great agility, speed, and power and consistently picks up good RAC. Could make a good rotational full-back/third down back who can block, catch, and run quality routes, as well as making a name for himself on special teams. Replaces the venerable and much-loved Sammy Morris.

189) LB/DE Mario Harvey – Marshall. One of my favorite players in the entire draft, Harvey is a powerfully built linebacker whose propensity for tackling has earned him the nickname “Thumper.” His 420 career tackles illustrate his productivity, and his 4.4 speed gives him the ability to be a phenomenal special teamer. He has experience playing defensive end as well as middle linebacker, and enjoyed a nine sack season. His size, leverage, speed, and power remind me of Elvis Dumervil, but Harvey is both faster and a more natural linebacker. Love his potential at numerous positions, both inside and out.

Oh MAN, do I dig this Draft!! :rocker:

Terrific analyses, every single one of them.

I'm a big fan of several of those guys: Ellis, Ijalana, and Fannin are in my Mocks.

You gave us a LOT of food for thought. GREAT work. :cool:

Trades, trades, trades!

TRADES

- -=- -

Wow

Thats seriously the best draft i've seen for us - Great job

I really dont see huge value in this class at all and if we come out with a tall WR, Ellis/Bailey, a few interior lineman and a S/CB hybrid i'd be delighted. Even a late round FB which im keen on so im all on board

im going to copy this as it's that good!!!

Last edited:
Well done on the game, I've enjoyed reading them whilst lurking but I'm ready to get in on the action.

Lots of trades to position my draft:

Trade 1: Trade Patriots #17, 92 & 125 for Lions #13 (with only five picks in the draft, Lions trade down to accumulate picks)

Trade 2: Trade Patriots #28, 60 for Kansas City's #21, 86 (Chiefs welcome an extra pick as they position themselves to draft Phil Taylor)

Trade 3: Trade Patriots #33 for Jacksonville's #49, 114, 121 (Jags trade up to pick Christian Ponder)

Trade 4: Trade Patriots #74, 114 for Green Bay's #64. 197

Trade 5: Trade #86 to 49'ers for #108.115

The Picks

13. Cameron Jordan De
21. Mike Pouncey OG

(My two first rounders are expected to be starters almost immediately and project as potential regular pro-bowlers. Jordan gets the nod over Watt and Wilkerson because of his extensive experience within the 3-4 system. Mike Pouncey had the same upbringing and coaching as his brother, hopefully that will mean he'll transition to the pros as effectively as his brother).

49. Benjamin Ijalana OG/OT
64. Allen Bailey DE/DT (maybe OLB)

(My two second rounders probably aren't expected to start immediately but have tremendous upside. Ijalana can hold a Guard position from the get go but projects as an accomplished LT with good athleticism and long arms. Bailey probably needs a longer transition period but his athleticism will allow BB to use him situationally as a pass rusher in a number of different ways. Hopefully in time he'll be able to make the OLB role his own).

My remaining picks are longer term projects, most of whom have very good potential but are from locks that they can produce in the NFL. However, should even a couple of them pay off, then it will make the draft a further success:

108 Jamie Harper RB
115 Buster Skrine CB
121 Willie Smith OT
159 Karl Klug DE/OLB
193 Cecil Shorts III WR
197 David Mims OT

Question (and I'm not a huge CFF) is Watts that good? Everything I hear about him is he's a good 5 tech player but is a level behind Jordan in the pass rushing skills..
Plus he has limited starts in the DL since converting. Doesn't BB lean towards drafting with our #1 pick seniors who have a boat load of playing time at their position

Jordan is more polished but he's also a senior. He's had another year to work on polishing his technique. He's slight smaller than Watt. Jordan being 6'4 283, Watt being 6'5 290. Both of them need to bulk up a bit more. Seymour weighed in at 6'6 299 at his combine in 2001. Watt has freakish athleticism that makes me think he will be in the mold of a Seymour or Peppers. Watt's 37" vert, 10' broad jump, and 6'88 3 cone just pop out at you as an indicator of his explosiveness and agility. Watch Watt on film too and his suddeness for a man of that size will stand out as well.

Well done on the game, I've enjoyed reading them whilst lurking but I'm ready to get in on the action.

Lots of trades to position my draft:

Trade 1: Trade Patriots #17, 92 & 125 for Lions #13 (with only five picks in the draft, Lions trade down to accumulate picks)

Trade 2: Trade Patriots #28, 60 for Kansas City's #21, 86 (Chiefs welcome an extra pick as they position themselves to draft Phil Taylor)

Trade 3: Trade Patriots #33 for Jacksonville's #49, 114, 121 (Jags trade up to pick Christian Ponder)

Trade 4: Trade Patriots #74, 114 for Green Bay's #64. 197

Trade 5: Trade #86 to 49'ers for #108.115

The Picks

13. Cameron Jordan De
21. Mike Pouncey OG

(My two first rounders are expected to be starters almost immediately and project as potential regular pro-bowlers. Jordan gets the nod over Watt and Wilkerson because of his extensive experience within the 3-4 system. Mike Pouncey had the same upbringing and coaching as his brother, hopefully that will mean he'll transition to the pros as effectively as his brother).

49. Benjamin Ijalana OG/OT
64. Allen Bailey DE/DT (maybe OLB)

(My two second rounders probably aren't expected to start immediately but have tremendous upside. Ijalana can hold a Guard position from the get go but projects as an accomplished LT with good athleticism and long arms. Bailey probably needs a longer transition period but his athleticism will allow BB to use him situationally as a pass rusher in a number of different ways. Hopefully in time he'll be able to make the OLB role his own).

My remaining picks are longer term projects, most of whom have very good potential but are from locks that they can produce in the NFL. However, should even a couple of them pay off, then it will make the draft a further success:

108 Jamie Harper RB
115 Buster Skrine CB
121 Willie Smith OT
159 Karl Klug DE/OLB
193 Cecil Shorts III WR
197 David Mims OT

You gotta be the only cat in the GALAXY to put BOTH my O Tackle Super Binkies in your Mock ~ except me, of course!!

Well DONE, sir!! :rocker:

This took me some time, thank goodness I am at work.

Trade 17 and 123 to Atlanta for 27 + 59 Atlanta moves up of a DE choose Kerrigan or Clayborn I would think Kerrigan.

Patriots

27 M WIlkerson DT
28 D Sherrod OT
33 A Ayers OLB
59 R Moore FS
60 S Wisniewski C
74 C Boling OG
92 S Vereen RB
156 M Herzlich OLB
184 J Ried OT

Flame on but I really like it.:singing:

It's not very flashy, but lose the two UCLA guys and I'd be content with that.

That's a great mock VJCPatriot. I'm still not on the Brooks Reed bandwagon and just don't see what everybody else does but if he can develop as some project........Other than that I think the board would be ecstatic....which means it'll never happen.

Well it's the end of March now so time for another updated mock. This time I endeavor to make at least 10 selections! In both 2009 and 2010 the Patriots selected 12 players overall. Not all rookies will make the team but did we get some gems there amidst the debris? I see the value in this draft to be in the 40-50s. So that's where I'll focus my efforts. But you may diverge as you see fit.

Here are the rules.

1. Use the CBS ranking chart. On Day 1, stick to exact ranked value, Day 2 up to 3 slots above, Day 3 up to 5 slots above. (Gonna tighten this up here to make it harder, more realistic to draft.)
2. You may make trades using the trade value chart. But the team must own all the picks that you are trading for. See NFL picks by team link.
3. Have fun! Try to pick at least TEN players!

CBS Ranking chart (Updated 3/26 as of this post):
NFL Draft - 2011 Draft Prospects - CBSSports.com - NFLDraftScout.com

NFL Trade Value Chart:
Draft Countdown - Trade Value Chart

NFL Picks by Team:
2011 NFL Draft Picks by Team

Here are the Pats picks:
17,28,33,60,74,92,123,156,&184

Here we go:

Day 1

Trade UP #17 (950)+ #74 (220) to Detriot for #13 (1150) + #179 (19.8). Detroit trades down a little because it is slightly early to take a corner and they need more picks in the top three rounds. I project them to take CB Brandon Harris.

#13 JJ Watt DE, Wisconsin. This kid has the athleticism that reminds you of guys like Julius Peppers and Richard Seymour. All in a 290 lb 6'5 package. He could become a very special player who can do it all given the time to grow and should make an immediate impact on rushing downs as well. This kid has a relentless motor, high character, and upside. Most importantly he fills a team need for the Pats at DE.

Trade DOWN #28 (660) to Tennessee for #39 (510), #108 (78), #139 (37). Titans trade up to get the last 1st round QB left. I project them to select Christian Ponder.

Day 2

Trade DOWN #33 (580) to San Diego for #50 (400) + #82 (180). Chargers move up with the Patriots as rumored and select a DB to shore up their secondary. I project them to pick Aaron Williams from Texas.

#39 Leonard Hankerson WR, Miami. This guy is capable of matching up against the more physical Jets corners and has the talent, size, and makeup to be a #1 down the road. He's adept at creating separation and had a great showing in the Senior Bowl against top college level talent.

#50 Brooks Reed OLB, Arizona. Reed provides much needed passrush to a Patriot defensive unit that was lacking in that area last season. Together with Cunningham, the Pats now have two promising OLBs to put the heat on the QB. In the middle of round 2, I think BB is willing to take on another conversion project with upside.

#60 Rahim Moore FS, UCLA. The Pats shore up the middle of their pass defense with one of the best ballhawking safeties out of this year's draft crop.

Day 3

Trade UP #82 (180) + #123 (49) to St Louis for #78 (200) + #175 (21). The Rams trade down slightly and get another 4th rounder in the process.

#78 James Carpenter OT Alabama. The Patriots strengthen the lines and prepare for the departure of either Light or Kaczur.

#92 Shane Vereen RB, California. Vereen is a speedy and versatile RB who can catch the ball out of the backfield and is a threat to score given a crack of daylight. A nice complimentary player to BJGE for a Thunder/Lightning tandem.

#108 Buster Skrine CB, Chattanooga. Due to his athletic showcase at the Combine, Skrine has been moving up draft boards. He shows the elite agility and burst BB seeks in a nickel corner.

#139 John Moffitt OG, Wisconsin. Moffitt is a tough, strong OG who could develop into a good interior lineman down the road after going through Dante's school of training.

#156 Greg Romeus DE, Pittsburgh. Rolling the dice on the injury risk in case he turns out to be a stud. This late in the draft, why not gamble on greatness?

#175 Julius Thomas TE, Portland St. No Patriots draft is complete without a tight end. Thomas is an athletic prospect in the mold of Aaron Hernandez. His lack of experience, not his athletic ability is what drops him this far down.

#179 Brandon Fusco C, Slippery Rock. A big, strong center who could be trained by Dante to replace Koppen down the road.

#184 David Carter DT, UCLA. The Pats have reportedly shown some interest in the kid. Could make for a versatile lineman to compete with the others for backup playing time. At 6'5 297, Has the size to play DE as well.

Notes: Thanks for reading! This was a lot of work, hope you had fun reading it and creating your own mock. I don't anticipate doing another mock till close to draft time and that one will probably be a 3 round mock with all 32 NFL teams. OK, braces for criticism, let me have it then!

Hard work. Nice job.
DW Toys

It's not very flashy, but lose the two UCLA guys and I'd be content with that.

I don't like Ayers at all but what is your concern with Moore?

Dallas needs RT, S, CB, OG, DL, RB.

So, if Robert Quinn drops down as they say he will, between 8 and 12, and we can get him at #9, we trade #17 and next year's 1st round draft pick to Dallas to get Quinn. After the Draft is over we trade Logan Mankins and Nick Kaczur for that same #1. All the Dallas forums said they would do it in a second and if we trade players for next year's picks, it's legal. Dallas would with one draft pick fill half of their draft needs. We get Quinn and lose two big salaries. Logan moves closer to the West coast and is surrounded by horses and $8M - he should be very happy.

NE pick #28 - trade for a 1st next year and a 3rd this year. Should be an upper half third.

NE pick #33 - we combine with pick #92 for Dallas' #41 and #73. That way they can secure the Safety they need ahead of Cincinnatti.

We bundle picks #73 and #74 and move into the middle of the second round.

Now we start: Pick #41, Wisniewski, C/G, Penn State (urgent, IMHO)

With the pick we get from #73 and #74, Barksdale, RT, LSU (good player, played against good competition in the SEC)

NE pick #60 - draft Will Rackley, G/T, LeHigh

With the third rounder we get for trading #28 - we trade for a 2nd next year

With picks 4-6 we can go RB, McElroy (QB Ala), and whoever else

Another team that is desperate for players but doesn't have the picks and wants to compete this year is Minnesota. I think it would be possible to trade Merriweather and Butler to them for a 3rd next year and a 3rd the year after.
They need to fill these positions desperately and, no matter what you think of Merriweather, he looks better than the Safety from UCLA or the kid from Texas.

We release Matt Light.

I really hope they give Kettani (RB Navy), 5'11" 235 pounds, a chance to compete for the team.

Next year we would have 2 first round picks, 2 second round picks, 2 third round picks, one fourth, one fifth, and whatever compensatory pick we get for Matt Light.

With those picks and the money we've saved from Mankins ($10M), Kaczur
($3.5M), Light (probably around $7M) and whatever Merriweather's agent would want after he appeared in 2 All Star games. If a little bird could talk to Larry Fitzgerald and tell him that if he doesn't sign a contract this year with Arizona, that he can come to NE and he will definitely be the highest paid receiver.

But what do we do with all those picks? Most 2012 mocks have Carolina picking first again next year because, even if they pick up a QB this year, they are a terrible team. NE could easily turn to them with 2 firsts, 2 seconds, 2 thirds and say "how much for Andrew Luck?"

This will probably never happen, but when I think of all those people in New York grabbing their chests and saying "I think it's the big one"

Thanks, I had fun with this.

I don't like Ayers at all but what is your concern with Moore?

He's not very good, and there's no need that we need to fill this year with average-at-best safeties. I don't think he improves the team in 2011, so we can sit this year out for safeties in the draft. I'm OK drafting a guy like Keo or Prosinski late for ST skills and a long-range project. But we currently have Meriweather, Chung, Sanders, Page, Brown, and Barrett under contract. That will do.

27) WR Leonard Hankerson - Miami. Don't mind Hankerson specifically but it doesn't seem to make sense as the first pick for the Pats. Only 3 WRs will get the vast majority of snaps/targets. A 4th will get spot duty and better play on special teams. Anyone lower is likely inactive pending injuries. If you take Hankerson at #27, he better be slotted in the top 3. Who is moving down and who is moving out? After last year, does Hankerson (not a burner) make you feel significantly better about this year?

40) OT Benjamin Ijalana - Villanova. His experiences at Villanova are enough for you to project him as Brady's blindside protector from day 1? Being physically dominant at a small school doesn't alway translate well to being solid in the NFL (see Ducasse, Vlad - Jets)

50) OG Orlando Franklin - Miami. Has Belichick played a guard over 6'4"? Could Brady see Welker over this dude? Besides, he is painfully slowfooted which is why he is being transitioned to OG...except the Pats ask their guards to pull a lot.

59) DT/DE Kenrick Ellis - Hampton. Seems fine if he checks out psychologically. After spending so much effort cleaning up the locker room of questionable attitudes, is this guy worth the chance? Maybe, but I'm skeptical.

60) DE/LB Allen Bailey - Maimi. Agree with your assessment except for the "strongside" comment. Pats play right-v-left, not strong-v-weak. Doesn't really matter since Bailey would have a ways to go before he sees the field as a base 3-4 OLB. There is enough sub work to justify this pick.

61) OG James Carpenter – Alabama. Better height fit than Franklin but the same immobility. I guess it might work if you are changing how the Pats block and protect but otherwise I can't see where you are going with these OL picks.

71) C/FS Ras-i Dowling – Virginia. I guess the 3rd round is a reasonable discount for a guy that can't seem to stay healthy. Given this safety class, he might be the best option available.

74) CB Buster Skrine – Chattanooga. Dude can certainly fly but as an early 3rd he better be able to cover. The Pats seem fine in the return game (unless you are flushing Edelperson). Only seen highlights (couldn't justify the Chattanooga season pass on my cable bill) but one thing that struck me was that Skrine puts the ball on the ground an awful lot on kick/int returns. Seems a bit early given the question marks.

92) RB Delone Carter – Syracuse. Your assessment seems right on the mark, but RBs always seem to slip on draft day. I guess #92 isn't a bad spot if the Pats are specifically targeting him among all the RBs. If there are reasonable alternatives on the Pats board, Carter could slide another round or 2.

125) OC Brandon Fusco
159) RB Mario Fannin
189) LB/DE Mario Harvey
All seem to be good values and fits.

There seems to be a growing sentiment on this board that nobody is worth picking for the Pats in the top 35 or so. Yet somehow there is a wealth of talent to be had later. I think your mock shows that this approach leads to a boatload of reasonable talent, somewhat awkward fits and health/attitude questions. Your picks may make more sense in the context of other moves (rework the OL scheme, trade Mankins, cut Branch and Edelperson, etc.), but I'm assuming 2011 will be building off of 2010...not another overhaul.

The Pats are returning a 14-2 team pretty much intact and this is a top heavy draft. Selecting 12 players, most of them outside the top 50, seems like a counter-intuitive approach...but you are not alone in thinking this way. It just isn't the way I hope the draft unfolds for the Pats.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots WR Javon Baker Conference Call
TRANSCRIPT: Layden Robinson Conference Call
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
Back