PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Vince Wilfork asks to be released

Status
Not open for further replies.
So with his $7.5m freed up how much space do they have now?

I think Big Vince is going to be very disappointed in his market

No he wont be alot Of Teams run 3-4 and want Beef Upfront. I think his better days are behind him.

I think Vince may be shooting himself in the foot. He might not get more elsewhere.

I doubt anyone will sign him right now because of his Achilles. I think he may have to wait a few months to sign and that could kill the market.

Miss ya already Big Vince. Great player and a great guy. Best of luck in the future to him. This game is a business and we all know it

Hopefully this will give us room to get BROWNER

Browner
McCourty
Revis
Dennard/Ryan
Arrington

That secondary is AMAZING

The Pats had around $17.5M in cap space before signing Darrelle Revis, who's 2014 cap hit is $7M. Releasing Wilfork would free up $18M, giving the Pats plenty of cap space to address WR, OL, and other defensive needs.

Sad, but better that the team moves on without him than continue in limbo. Given his history, it would have been harder for them to release Wilfork. Now, with him asking than when them to do it, things should move quickly.

talk about deflating a balloon. Forget the cap charge...I don't see anyone available who can replace him. Yeah, he's coming off an injury and is on the wrong side of 30 but still, what he brings is a hard commodity to find. The Pats need better DTs and this severely weakens an already weak position. D-line more important than WR right now.

The Pats had around $17.5M in cap space before signing Darrelle Revis, who's 2014 cap hit is $7M. Releasing Wilfork would free up $18M, giving the Pats plenty of cap space to address WR, OL, and other defensive needs.

Sad, but better that the team moves on without him than continue in limbo.

you mean defensive needs as in DL. who do you see replacing Wilfork at DT??

Pretty disappointed in him if you ask me. Sure football players have every reason in the world to chase the money, but if a guy like Brady the most important player on the team restructures his contract to a friendly team deal why can't Wilfork do it as well? Considering this after having an Achilles injury for a big guy. Then again Tom has the luxury of having a wife who is one of the richest women in the world , but either way this disappoints me it also saddens me you'll be missed Vince as long as you don't go to the Broncos.

I think you answered your own question, so I won't pile on. I'd only add that, as a QB, Brady can anticipate playing until his late 30's...not so much at DT...this is his last chance at 32 to cash in...I don't blame him a bit.

Good news is that Elway can't afford another big D contract.

So with his $7.5m freed up how much space do they have now?

18 million. No reason to not add Woodyard and Browner to make this a top 5 defense. We would probably have 10-11 million after them for Edelman or Steve Smith and a lineman.

Vince Wilfork, at his peak, is a unique player, with unmatched power and agility. Recall that he was often the gimmick guy that had to catch punts with footballs in his arms for a day off in camp.

However, if Wilfork is, in fact, released, the team doesn't have to replace him with a lesser Vince Wilfork. They could add more of a penetrating DT and remake the line. Vince was brought in to anchor the 3-4. The defense has evolved.

talk about deflating a balloon. Forget the cap charge...I don't see anyone available who can replace him. Yeah, he's coming off an injury and is on the wrong side of 30 but still, what he brings is a hard commodity to find. The Pats need better DTs and this severely weakens an already weak position. D-line more important than WR right now.

Melton
Hatcher
Raji
Williams

There are still a few guys out there that can be an upgrade or at least a stop-gap replacement.

Will miss ya big guy. Thanks for all the hard work and effort. Don't think I can comment on the money situation cuz I don't live in that kind of world. I'm sure some will still hate though.

Sure you don't want to make one more Super Bowl run?

There is no guarantee Wilfork plays 2014 at the level he did in the past. There are some good DL prospects in the draft, too.

Wonder if there is a chance he will come back if the market doesn't shape up the way he expects it to?

At any rate, this is a real downer after yesterday's high. Gonna miss the big fella. A tribute video for everyone's viewing pleasure:

Run Vince Run! - YouTube

We can go DT in the First Round and also later on in the Draft.

Go out and sign Browner, Allen, and Steve Smith now.

Browner, Woodyard and Edelman.

Honestly, you would take Steve Smith over Julian Edelman. Could you list reasons for that?

I think you answered your own question, so I won't pile on. I'd only add that, as a QB, Brady can anticipate playing until his late 30's...not so much at DT...this is his last chance at 32 to cash in...I don't blame him a bit.

Good news is that Elway can't afford another big D contract.

I don't know man I wouldn't be shocked if the broncos get him. They like to get our players

I'll be honest with you. I wasn't thrilled that wilfork tweeted a few days ago that talib's new contract with denver was "well deserved". It sounded like a shot against the pats.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST