PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Vince Wilfork asks to be released

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, at least we have Revis. I mean he can line up at WR sometimes, TE others, play CB and when we "spell" him on the defense, he can play a little DT or something too. Maybe be a bit of a run stuffer like Spikes if he can't quite fill Wilfork's role. We're obviously totally fine since we have Revis... I bet he can even be a good RB for short yardage! I guess he can fill an OL role if he puts on a couple pounds too.

I don't know what would have been so bad about re-signing our friggin' players and maybe just trying to get a competent WR so having TB on the team matters again. This just means not only do we get a "it's sad" type of loss, but that's another commitment we have to make to the "D".

I get that we couldn't keep everyone but the not keeping anyone is ridiculous.

Vince's current contract was written with inflated values on the backend in order to inflate the overall value of the contract. It was likely going to be renegotiated during the past season based on his level of play. The achilles, his age and weight makes the current contract even less in line with a fair market deal. Denver overpaid for an often injured Ware and often injured Talib, but most business decisions are usually better than those. Kraft said they wouldn't overpay for a player with an injury history like Talib, but Big Vince needs to understand that a restructured deal here is likely better than playing in Oakland, etc. Ask Kelley.

Pulp Fiction- "Feel that sting, big boy? That's pride f***ing with you!"

Sorry Vince, you're not a top corner in the league. You're not a top safety or pass rusher. The NFL is now about QB pressure and pass defenders.
If your pride is hurting, take the money you've already earned and retire rather than play at a lesser level for a lesser team, just for a paycheck.

One player whom I think no-one noted (and for very good reason) is Armstead.I have ZERO understanding or expectation of him though

in the past I would have been much more 'hit' at emotional level on this news...but not now...

i think the Pats, as always, will manage at best

Sorry if it's een stated 10 times already, this thread got long very quickly, anyone know what our current cap space looks like (assuming Wilfork is released)?

16.9 pre Revis/Hooman
-900k Hooman
-7m Revis
=9m
+7.58 Wilfork
=16.58?

Is that about right? If we have somewhere in the 15-18 range available we can still do a few things.

Browner
Edelman
Shelly Smith
Deitrich-Smith
Woodyard
DT of choice (Melton, Hatcher)
DE of choice (Allen, Peppers)

Any handful of those would make me happy, I think we need at least one starter DL and interior OL via FA now, too important to hope a rookie can fill in day 1.

I fhe leaves does it mean he's going to the Broncos

Denver overpaid for an often injured Ware

Last year was the first season where Ware missed a game (played in 13). It followed 8 straight 16 game seasons. He may be overpaid, but he's far from often injured.

This works out well for the Pats. The worst thing for a franchise is to be locked into inflated contracts with declining older players. In a perfect world, you want to move on a year early, not a year too late.

Any rumor on what we wanted to give him

Sad to see it come to this but I saw this day coming from the day he tore his achilles. Thanks for all the great years and effort Big Guy. Alas business is indeed business.......

A couple days ago in one of these threads I said Vince won't want to amend his contract and there is a 60% chance he will be cut. There was one bro who commented I was basically an idiot for thinking that. Need to find that post.

I wonder if the raiders are interested in parting with a 3rd round pick.

I think we would be lucky to get a pick for him with his contract and age.

A couple days ago in one of these threads I said Vince won't want to amend his contract and there is a 60% chance he will be cut. There was one bro who commented I was basically an idiot for thinking that. Need to find that post.

Why bother?

I had people calling me an idiot for saying Talib would get offered 9-10 million and Revis would play for 12 but I just let it be..

(Phew, finally got that out there) ;)

Always start with the Raiders, Bucs and Browns. If they wont trade for him no team will

I think we would be lucky to get a pick for him with his contract and age.

You should have understood it was a joke when you read "Raiders". ...then again, the fact that he listed the Raiders, I can understand why you may have taken him seriously.

I only read about half the thread, so if this point has already been made.....deal with it. ;)

Vince is a sure fire first ballot Pats HOFer. He's a Pats lifer deeply connected not only to the franchise and Owner, but to the local community, and the NE area. Think about it. What do the Pats need right now? That's right, Cap Space. Where is the most likely place to find significant cap space? Right again, Vince Wilfolk's contact.

NO ONE knows if Vince will ever play again, let alone to the level we've all become accustomed to. Plus its likely no one will have a clue as to his rehab until at least June, which would be too late to make much of an impact on the Pats cap situation. They need the money NOW, before the draft to assure getting the best FA's available An added complication is that the best way to maximize increasing the Pats cap room is with a release, and NOT a restructure. So what are the Pats to do.

If the Pats release him, its just another example of "the heartless Pats screwing over their own players again". Vince knows he's no longer an elite DT/N worthy of an 11MM cap number. Like I said, he doesn't even know if he's going to play this year, and won't know for months. So, once again, Vince takes one for the team, and "asks for his release". He creates the cap space the Pats need right now. He saves the Pats a PR hit, knowing that IF he can play, the Pats will sign him to a contract that will reflect what he can do on the field NOW, and not what he DID for 9 of the last 10 years. IMHO, IF Vince plays this year, it will be with the Pats.

BTW- I know that, while this scenario makes sense to me, its just that, a scenario. It could be true, it might not be. But until I see Vince Wilfolk in another uniform, playing for another team, its the scenario that I choose to believe in.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it. Feel free to join me. ;)

Sorry if it's een stated 10 times already, this thread got long very quickly, anyone know what our current cap space looks like (assuming Wilfork is released)?

16.9 pre Revis/Hooman
-900k Hooman
-7m Revis
=9m
+7.58 Wilfork
=16.58?

Is that about right? If we have somewhere in the 15-18 range available we can still do a few things.

Browner
Edelman
Shelly Smith
Deitrich-Smith
Woodyard
DT of choice (Melton, Hatcher)
DE of choice (Allen, Peppers)

Any handful of those would make me happy, I think we need at least one starter DL and interior OL via FA now, too important to hope a rookie can fill in day 1.

Don't forget the savings after the Sopoaga cut. Not sure what it was exactly, but i'm thinking it was at least 2 mill.

Raj resigned with Packers.

Nope, The pack offered him $4m for one year. He is considering it.

The Texans and Crennel seem to be a fit for VW.
DW Toys

Damn, really gonna miss him but the money was too much and he is coming off a severe injury. Definition of a true Patriot who exemplified the Patriot Way.

it is ironic that he exemplified the Patriot Way...but in the end, the Patriot Way that has led to this.

sad news but it has to be.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back