PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

upgrade over BJGE isn't nessesary

Status
Not open for further replies.

CheeseMonkeys

2nd Team Getting Their First Start
Reaction score
I've been thinking after seeing many posts about people wanting a top RB on the Pats. Obviously with the passing game that NE runs with Brady/Welker and the TEs, the running game isn't something that needs to be leaned on. A good running game will make it easier to pass the ball but would an upgrade over BJGE be that big of a deal?

I do think that the Pats should bring back Benny if the money is right because he has been a solid player for us. People have been talking about what our offense would be like with a RB like Arian Foster. Sure Foster is more of a complete RB but I think BJGE is better than people think. He doesn't get a ton of carries in this offense but I bet if he got the carries he'd be pretty successful.

Also I think Ridley can potentially be the complete RB that the Pats have been looking for but it's way too early to tell. There are holes in the defense and at WR so RB isn't a high priority but BJGE may want more money than the Pats will give him. What should the Pats do?

I've been thinking after seeing many posts about people wanting a top RB on the Pats. Obviously with the passing game that NE runs with Brady/Welker and the TEs, the running game isn't something that needs to be leaned on. A good running game will make it easier to pass the ball but would an upgrade over BJGE be that big of a deal?

I do think that the Pats should bring back Benny if the money is right because he has been a solid player for us. People have been talking about what our offense would be like with a RB like Arian Foster. Sure Foster is more of a complete RB but I think BJGE is better than people think. He doesn't get a ton of carries in this offense but I bet if he got the carries he'd be pretty successful.

Also I think Ridley can potentially be the complete RB that the Pats have been looking for but it's way too early to tell. There are holes in the defense and at WR so RB isn't a high priority but BJGE may want more money than the Pats will give him. What should the Pats do?

I'm not 100% positive of the numbers, but I think Woodhead played more snaps than BJGE in 2011, and I know he did in 2010.
Other than not fumbling, I'm not sure what BJGE does that we wouldn't get pretty much the same thing out a number of RBs we could plug in.
Ridley and Vereen seem to be a reasonable group to take over, we can bring in a vet backup, or another young unknown to be there if one or the other falters.
The only issue I see with letting BJGE walk and plugging Ridley and Vereen in is that Vereen was injured all year, so we need someone as plan B.
Going into 2010, once we realized Maroney was on the outs, we had a lot less to go on with the RBs we had than with Ridley and Vereen.

An upgrade is low on my list of offseason improvements to the team -- I'd prefer BJGE back if he's ok with a reasonable deal. BJGE / Woodhead / Ridley / Vareen works for me.

Use the $ and draft picks for the defense, WR, OL and a 3rd TE.

Last edited:
I feel that Obrien didn't use our running game effectively at all.
We rarely used screen passes to the backs which, at one point in time, we were the standard for the league in how to run a screen play.
It seemed to me that we'd run a certain type of running play effectively and then go to something else like a straight run up the middle against teams that were stacked against the run - I assume because of the formation we were showing.

We have a great QB, but that doesn't mean we couldn't make his job easier by running smarter play calls and not trying to be so predictable on the running plays.
It should also make it easier to protect Brady from an aggressive pass rushing team.

Personnel wise..I believe BB likes BGE, but also thinks he could plug in a number of different backs with similar results.
The 2 RBs from last year's draft will see more action this year as long as they are working on their blocking as well as their running.
I don't see BB giving BGE a huge contract.

BJGE is reliable and steady. Few negative plays. No fumbles. Decent receiver. Good blocker. That said, very few big plays (20+ yards) and his YPC is only 3.7. If it falls any lower, he's out of the league.

I did like the way he started to elevate in goal line jumping over the pile near the end of the season.

Would you want BJGE back at $2 million a year? I would, but not on a long-term contract.

I wouldn't want to see them spend big money on a RB unless they have already added a few athletes to the defense. I would like to see a team with better balance, like 2003/2004, where the defense was the strength of the team and the offense just had to take care of the ball and score enough. In that world, BJGE is ideal because of ball security.

BJGE is a #2 RB in a rotational system that also has a 3rd down back. That's all he is, yet he was the team's RB1 (Woodhead being the 3rd down back). Of course an upgrade is 'necessary'. The question is whether or not Ridley and/or Vereen can be that upgrade.

BJGE would be well served to go to a team like the Chiefs, where they run the ball more and BJGE could get plenty of carries while softening up opponents for Jamaal Charles.

Last edited:
BJGE has no upside whatsoever. I mean, you know what you get with him and you don't get much more. Next season has to be about Ridley & Vereen and making them a big part of the offense

BJGE is reliable and steady. Few negative plays. No fumbles. Decent receiver. Good blocker. That said, very few big plays (20+ yards) and his YPC is only 3.7. If it falls any lower, he's out of the league.

I know it was a different era, but take a look at Sam Cunningham's numbers before you rip Law Firm's too badly:

Sam Cunningham NFL Football Statistics - Pro-Football-Reference.com

Or Mike Alstott's

Mike Alstott NFL Football Statistics - Pro-Football-Reference.com

Here are BJGE's in the same format:

BenJarvus Green-Ellis NFL Football Statistics - Pro-Football-Reference.com

And by the way, I think BJGE is good enough as a power back that he can be the backup guy in that role, not contribute on STs or as a blocking FB, and still be well worth the roster spot.

BJGE is a #2 RB in a rotational system that also has a 3rd down back. That's all he is, yet he was the team's RB1 (Woodhead being the 3rd down back). Of course an upgrade is 'necessary'. The question is whether or not Ridley and/or Vereen can be that upgrade.

BJGE would be well served to go to a team like the Chiefs, where they run the ball more and BJGE could get plenty of carries while softening up opponents for Jamaal Charles.

Pretty much this.

I know it was a different era, but take a look at Sam Cunningham's numbers before you rip Law Firm's too badly:

Sam Cunningham NFL Football Statistics - Pro-Football-Reference.com

Or Mike Alstott's

Mike Alstott NFL Football Statistics - Pro-Football-Reference.com

Here are BJGE's in the same format:

BenJarvus Green-Ellis NFL Football Statistics - Pro-Football-Reference.com

Not so sure you have a very good argument if you have to go back 35 years to find 2 examples, and neither were the lead back on their team.

Not so sure you have a very good argument if you have to go back 35 years to find 2 examples, and neither were the lead back on their team.

They were the first two ball-carrying fullbacks who came to mind. I'm positioning BJGE as a power back/short yardage guy.

They were the first two ball-carrying fullbacks who came to mind. I'm positioning BJGE as a power back/short yardage guy.

I thought you were talking about his play so far. Really though there is no such role anymore as running FB.
I don't think BJGE is going to accept the pay or the role that you have envisioned, although I'm pretty much in agreement thats our best role for him.

While Law Firm doesnt do anything bad he doesnt do anything exceptionally good aside from his ball security, which is outstanding.

He doesnt threaten the defense, he's very limited, he can go up the middle ok but doesnt break tackles very well, isn't a good receiver, and cannot threaten the edge.

I can't help but think that with a more well-rounded and dynamic RB our offense would skyrocket. Once we got some nasty TEs we used them plenty in the pass game, before that the TEs weren't used much, I think our lack of talent at RB is the main reason we dont have a better running game. The coaches dont have faith in it, and for good reason.

Ridley has ball control issues and has been hot and cold in his chances. Vereen has been NONEXISTENT ...gather he was hurt several times and had ochoitis in NOT being able to comprehend the playbook. BJGE had turf toe i believe but played well....Woody was solid but they can't use him that much in 2012..,will have some durability issues....I think they'll go after at least one more RB. Its an area we need more consistency with...

Ridley has ball control issues and has been hot and cold in his chances. Vereen has been NONEXISTENT ...gather he was hurt several times and had ochoitis in NOT being able to comprehend the playbook. BJGE had turf toe i believe but played well....Woody was solid but they can't use him that much in 2012..,will have some durability issues....I think they'll go after at least one more RB. Its an area we need more consistency with...

I think the Patriots will either resign Green-ellis to a contract or sign a proven veteran through FA/Trade, then draft a RB later in the draft (rounds 4-7).

BJGE is a 4.1-4.4 ypc RB (when healthy, toe hurt him majority of season), never fumbles, and is good in goalline/short yardage.

He has no big play ability and is one of the least dynamic RBs out of the backfield.

I agree with Deus, he'd be great with Charles for the Chiefs or Lesean Mccoy with Eagles.

Last edited:
Ben Jarvus Green Ellis is not an NFL quality running back. At 3.9 yards a carry with a pretty decent offensive line, what do you expect from the pats running game? You put more pressure on Brady to carry the team, that's what happens. If Brady has a so-so day like the super bowl, there is no one else to take the load off him. no one.

Keep BJGE, you know exactly what you have and how to use him. Last year he was injured for a good part of the year due to "turf toe" so much of the sample from last year has to be thrown out... he has a nose for the end zone and his ball control is legendary.

He will never lead that league in rushing, but is steady blue collar.. next year his role may diminish as Vereen and Ridley have served their apprenticeship, but if the price is right would definitely keep him.

It is also obvious that he has a very good relationship with Mr. Kraft, who usually stays out of this stuff... but has some influence.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents