PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Ugh, I'm done with Meriweather

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not sure if this has been discussed, but Meriweather is finally on the "I'm ok with BB tossing his butt on the street" list.

The play that did it for me was yesterday against SD, Meriweather laid a nice hit on Crayton and then got up, all pumped, and did that stupid salute thing.

Problem, Crayton held on to the ball for like a 12 yard gain and a first down, and that play did nothing to stall the momentum of the SD drive.

It was like finger nails on a chalk board for me and just one more clueless act by Meriweather.

Good luck to you bud, have fun on your next team.

Agreed. This guy havent swagger or whatelse, its just ABSURD see that guy doing this things after being torched every week with his 20 yards-away coverages .

Agreed. This guy havent swagger or whatelse, its just ABSURD see that guy doing this things after being torched every week with his 20 yards-away coverages .

Except for the fact that you just pulled that out of your posterior, great post!

Not sure if this has been discussed, but Meriweather is finally on the "I'm ok with BB tossing his butt on the street" list.

The play that did it for me was yesterday against SD, Meriweather laid a nice hit on Crayton and then got up, all pumped, and did that stupid salute thing.

Problem, Crayton held on to the ball for like a 12 yard gain and a first down, and that play did nothing to stall the momentum of the SD drive.

It was like finger nails on a chalk board for me and just one more clueless act by Meriweather.

I don't have time to read thru 13 pages so not sure if this has been said. . .

But I took part of his salute and celebration at the fact that he understands the coaches and NFL's position and will hit below the head and when he does so he can still deliver the iron to make WRs and TEs think twice about coming into his area . . .

Please, let us know what play in the game he got "torched" on. God you're a hater...if Meriweather cured breast cancer you'd post a thread "Meriweather SUCKS he can't even cure brain cancer".

Haters Gonna Hate.

Please, let us know what play in the game he got "torched" on. God you're a hater...if Meriweather cured breast cancer you'd post a thread "Meriweather SUCKS he can't even cure brain cancer".

Haters Gonna Hate.

This. Meriweather had a pretty good game sunday. I don't recall him being "torched" at all.

Dude, I love the way you cherry pick your quotes. I also wrote, albeit not in the original message, that that play was the icing on the cake...that my opinion is based on a collection of plays he's made.

You're right about one thing. I was clueless to think I could have a differing opinion to you and express it here. Obviously I was wrong. Thanks for not trying to sway my opinion of Meriweather either way and just attacking me personally...nicely done sir.

I sit breathlessly awaiting your next witty retort. Good day to you.

Cherry pick the quote? It's your opening gripe:

There's nothing cherry picked about it.

This. Meriweather had a pretty good game sunday. I don't recall him being "torched" at all.

He wasn't, and it looked like the Pats really were working hard to keep everything in front of them. The secondary was really concerned with letting plays develop to the deep outside. I think the fact that Rivers kept going to the flat or over the middle is that that's what the D was hoping to force him to do. McCourty had that nice pick on one of the few pass that actually went down the sideline.

We got hurt in the second half because it looked like Guyton put on his cement shoes at halftime. I mean there was at least 2 plays I saw the receiver come across the field, make the catch and turn up before Guyton ever moved.

Cherry pick the quote? It's your opening gripe:

There's nothing cherry picked about it.

And I already apologized that it took me 13 pages to clarify my gripe. We need to just agree to disagree.

What I see is a guy who has an iffy first step. BM appears to come in late on a lot of plays and I sometimes wonder if he tries to make a big hit to make up for the fact that he is late. I thought BM is supposed to be our best cover safety, but he take bad angles to the ball, which of course, makes him late. When was the last time BM made a good play on the ball? When was the last time you saw him lock up with a TE and shut him down? Maybe some of that is scheme, yes, but maybe our scheme is such that BB and MP don't trust BM one on one with a TE? In fact, this season, I'm pretty sure I've seen Chung line up on a receiver more times than BM...maybe I'm wrong though. He scares me in the open field because he's not a great tackler. I think this has become more evident since Chung came on, and we're starting to remember what a good tackling safety looks like.

The whole salute thing irked me for one reason, and it wasn't the celebration itself (good for him supporting the troops and his buddy). It was that he whacked Crayton, got up and did his salute thing...all the while, right behind him, Crayton was getting up with the ball in hand, did the little first down gesture and the crowd went nuts. How does momentum swing on a play like that? It felt like BM had no idea where he was on the field or what the result of the play was. The game was far from being won at that point too.

BM, to his credit, is a remarkable athlete and that makes up for some of his deficiencies and of course, like it was pointed out, BB continues to play him, so he must be our best option right now.

If anyone wants to argue with you still, I would stand by this quote as your final word. Out of these 13 pages, I would cherry pick this quote to sum up the player most accurately. Spot on.

What I see is a guy who has an iffy first step. BM appears to come in late on a lot of plays and I sometimes wonder if he tries to make a big hit to make up for the fact that he is late. .

He's a f$cking safety. He comes in late on a lot of plays BECAUSE THATS HIS JOB. Half of the tackles he makes are because a corner or linebacker wasn't doing their job.

He's a f$cking safety. He comes in late on a lot of plays BECAUSE THATS HIS JOB. Half of the tackles he makes are because a corner or linebacker wasn't doing their job.

This. He plays 15 yards from the line of scrimmage usually. Hence the term "Safety"; as in "in case someone else screws up".

To see what he does when he plays near the line, go back and watch him blow up the backfield in the Dolphins game.

ehhhh....that's a little glib. I don't think "come in late" is exactly the job description. You look for safeties to be in on plays, making plays, not just cleaning up somebody else's mistake.

This. He plays 15 yards from the line of scrimmage usually. Hence the term "Safety"; as in "in case someone else screws up".

To see what he does when he plays near the line, go back and watch him blow up the backfield in the Dolphins game.
I'm afraid we cannot accept this statement as it conflicts with the active disdain for James Sanders who has made many a shoe string and or late tackle to clean up a play.
harumph.gif

Wow, I'm quite amazed at how many times I've been called stupid in this thread. All for stating an opinion...my opinion. Be it an unpopular stance, it's mine and I stand by it.

Not that I need to substantiate my fandom to anyone, but I've been a Pats fan for close to 30 years. I have family that lives 15 mins from the stadium and have been to many games. I was also at the Houston Super Bowl, but I apparently am not allowed to express my disappointment about a player on my favorite football team.

Regardless of how long this thread lingers, I stand by what I said. Meriweather lacks in-game awareness.

Flame-on...I'll keep reading.

I love when people post an "opinion," don't get the responses they expect, and then try and defend said opinion by clearly trying to wrap themselves in the 1st Amendment.

First off, Lets clear up a misconception you clearly have. While you have a right to your opinion and you have a right to voice said opinion, as soon as you voice that opinion in a public forum, you are entitled to every reaction you get. That's the other edge of the 1st Amendment Double Edged sword. It's the edge that the clueless alway seem to forget.

Secondly, You can "stand by your opinion" all you want. That entitles people to stand by their opinions of you as well.

You can express your "disappointment" all you want. You just need to realize that a majority clearly don't share your opinion. And you're whining about people not sharing your opinion just makes you laughable.

Just because you've been a "fan" for 30 years, have family that live near the stadium and have been to many games (including the Houston SB) doesn't mean a damn thing in terms of you actually being knowledgeable about the game of football.

Sorry, but your "opinion" that Meriweather lacks "in-game awareness" isn't supported by the example you posted. Maybe if you had used a different example, your opinion might have been better received. Unfortunately, You chose a poor example and expressed your opinion poorly. And the reactions you are getting clearly show that.

Maybe if you took a step back, realized that instead of being a mule and holding on to your "opinion" for dear life that you could have acknowledged that you over-reacted to the situation you clearly didn't know enough about and that maybe you should should re-evaluate your "opinion" further in the season.

Stomper is indeed a clueless, undisciplined, overrated dolt, and I remember that play & thought exactly what you thought. However, we currently have nobody in the organization worthy of replacing him; so until we do, we're stuck with him.

This coming from the clueless, self-aggrandizing, undisciplined dolt of a poster who claims that he's smarter than BB when it comes to talent evaluation..

What if he just got beat for a TD? Would he have saluted then too ?????

My guess is probably not. There is a difference between making a hard hit that dang near knocks the ball loose except for a great play by a receiver and the Safety getting burned for a TD.

Meriweather reminds me of Asante Samuel

One game he is awesome,dominating and the best in the business.....the next week he makes huge errors and costs us games.

Just like Asante you never know what Brandon Meriweather you will get come Sunday.

What "huge errors" has Meriweather made that has led directly to a Pats loss. I know the ones for Samuel, with the biggest being SB 42..

Dude, I love the way you cherry pick your quotes. I also wrote, albeit not in the original message, that that play was the icing on the cake...that my opinion is based on a collection of plays he's made.

Sorry. Gotta call BS on you. You based your "opinion" on only the NEGATIVE plays and none of the positives that Meriweather has done. That is patently clear about your "opinion". What is also clear is that you go out of your way to over-exaggerate how bad a play was. And the one listen in the initial post is proof of that.

You're right about one thing. I was clueless to think I could have a differing opinion to you and express it here. Obviously I was wrong. Thanks for not trying to sway my opinion of Meriweather either way and just attacking me personally...nicely done sir.

I sit breathlessly awaiting your next witty retort. Good day to you.

You can have a differing opinion all you want. You just better be prepared to support it with actual FACT and not BS and exaggerations.

You've already proven that you wouldn't be swayed by other's opinions when you foolishly decided to attempt to wrap yourself in the 1st Amendment without realizing that it also applies to other people commenting on what you say.

Also, you stated that you had no intent of actually changing your opinion, regardless of what was posted. So trying to sway your opinion would have been a wasted effort.

While I'll differ on your opinion, its good to see users post their POV..

hahhahah.. Classic dude.. Love it! ..You'll find that a lot these guys that post about 20-30 times a day.. They pick one sentence out of a post and attack it all day.. Wait until the draft comes and they become experts..

I remember one of these guys telling me Ngata is a NT and doesn't play DE..

Expressing your POV is one thing. Sitting there and whining because a majority of the people think that your POV is BS and unsupported is another. And instead of listening to why that POV is BS, you basically put your fingers in your ears and are saying "I'm not listening" over and over again like a 3 year old throwing a tantrum.

TX_Patriot clearly over-reacted to what he saw Meriweather do. And he got called on it. Instead of manning up and realizing he over-reacted to the situation he saw, he's clearly stated that he has no intention of changing his opinion.

So, he's getting the reactions that are justified. It's the other part of the 1st Amendment that so many people forget.

First, let me say that I'm and fan and only a fan. I don't breakdown each play, I don't rewatch games over and over again to try and pull out the finer details of our game plans, but I do understand football and played it myself into college.

If you don't review the plays, then how the hell can you make the following observations?

What I see is a guy who has an iffy first step. BM appears to come in late on a lot of plays and I sometimes wonder if he tries to make a big hit to make up for the fact that he is late. I thought BM is supposed to be our best cover safety, but he take bad angles to the ball, which of course, makes him late. When was the last time BM made a good play on the ball? When was the last time you saw him lock up with a TE and shut him down? Maybe some of that is scheme, yes, but maybe our scheme is such that BB and MP don't trust BM one on one with a TE? In fact, this season, I'm pretty sure I've seen Chung line up on a receiver more times than BM...maybe I'm wrong though. He scares me in the open field because he's not a great tackler. I think this has become more evident since Chung came on, and we're starting to remember what a good tackling safety looks like.

All these observations tell me that you don't know enough about what BM is being asked to do. It also tells me that you don't understand the difference between a Zone Scheme and a Man to Man Scheme..

Brandon Meriweather is actually a very good tackler. He's not in the same category as Rodney Harrison, but he's not far from it.

Also, not to blow up your argument anymore than I have, but Chung has been making some of the same mistakes you have lambasted Meriweather for. I've seen Chung take bad angles, go for the hit instead of the tackle, etc. All safeties do that at times. Including Troy Polamalu and Ed Reed.

The whole salute thing irked me for one reason, and it wasn't the celebration itself (good for him supporting the troops and his buddy). It was that he whacked Crayton, got up and did his salute thing...all the while, right behind him, Crayton was getting up with the ball in hand, did the little first down gesture and the crowd went nuts. How does momentum swing on a play like that? It felt like BM had no idea where he was on the field or what the result of the play was. The game was far from being won at that point too.

As others pointed out and you still haven't acknowledge, that hit resonated through the Chargers receivers except for that one rookie Arjiritutu (sp). All of the others has multiple drops at critical moments in the game. You discounting that takes away from your whole understand of the situation.

BM, to his credit, is a remarkable athlete and that makes up for some of his deficiencies and of course, like it was pointed out, BB continues to play him, so he must be our best option right now.

I can't point you to specific plays in each game, I'm sorry if that is want you really wanted.

I don't know that I can satisfy everyone on this board and I'm open to having my opinion of BM change. In fact, I hope it does, because it would be nice to know we have a dependable safety tandem for the next few years.

It's amazing the amount of backtracking you've done from the start of this thread to this point.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST