PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

UDFAs to Keep an Eye On

Hmmm...Vellano played at 285 during the season, but now weighs 305. No wonder his pro day #s
were less athletic than I thought they would have been.
He's also shorter than I remembered; closer to 6'1 than the 6'3 I thought he was.

So now that you mention it, Vellano & Cory Grissom might indeed be competing for a similar role
on the defense. I won't be surprised if one of them ends up sticking on the Opening Day 53.

I'd argue that they are competing for different roles.

Generalizing, there are two major responsibilities we expect out of a defensive tackle. 1) to hold the POA/take on double teams/protect two gaps and 2) to get upfield/penetrate/rush the passer.

Kelly, Armstead, possibly Francis or Forston, and even possibly Cunningham or Bequette are competing for the second role. However, we have no depth at the first role - its Wilfork and then blah. With that in mind I'm guessing DT#4 is a player who is more of a run stuffer.

From what I've gathered, Vellano was disruptive in college but his greatest weaknesses are lack of strength/short arms/inability to get off of blocks. The weakest part of his game was supposedly playing two gaps due to his limitations. I don't think he's capable, even at 305 lbs, to fit the bill replacing Love.

Grissom on the other hand is a bigger kid. While Vellano's chance to stick in the NFL is supposedly as a rotational rusher, scouting reports suggest Grissom has potential as a run stuffer. Wide framed kid who looks the part but supposedly has poor instincts. He's the one competing for that DT#4 spot.

IMO Vellano can only make the roster if he plays at both DT and DE and shows well. He needs to beat Justin Francis and Jermaine Cunningham for the flex DT/DE role.

It seems that Grissom has to beat out Forston, while Vellano must beat our both Francis and Cunningham (as you say). In any case, Grissom seems to have a good chance to make the Practice Squad. As you say, we don't have many wide bodies.

Generalizing, there are two major responsibilities we expect out of a defensive tackle. 1) to hold the POA/take on double teams/protect two gaps and 2) to get upfield/penetrate/rush the passer.

Kelly, Armstead, possibly Francis or Forston, and even possibly Cunningham or Bequette are competing for the second role. However, we have no depth at the first role - its Wilfork and then blah. With that in mind I'm guessing DT#4 is a player who is more of a run stuffer.

From what I've gathered, Vellano was disruptive in college but his greatest weaknesses are lack of strength/short arms/inability to get off of blocks. The weakest part of his game was supposedly playing two gaps due to his limitations. I don't think he's capable, even at 305 lbs, to fit the bill replacing Love.

Grissom on the other hand is a bigger kid. While Vellano's chance to stick in the NFL is supposedly as a rotational rusher, scouting reports suggest Grissom has potential as a run stuffer. Wide framed kid who looks the part but supposedly has poor instincts. He's the one competing for that DT#4 spot.

IMO Vellano can only make the roster if he plays at both DT and DE and shows well. He needs to beat Justin Francis and Jermaine Cunningham for the flex DT/DE role.

No we don't have may wide-bodies, thanks to the premature releases of Love & Deaderick.
For that reason, Forston & Grissom are ahead of Vellano on the depth chart. Vellano will remain
at the bottom unless injuries occur.

I do not fault Belichick for cutting a diabetic whose best playing weight is above 300 pounds.

I do not fault Belichick cutting Deaderick if he judges that his attitude doesn't warrant a place on the team. Personally, I would have kept Deaderick through the last cut; but I don't have the information that Belichick does.

My suspicion is that Belichick would rather keep both Forston, and Cunningham over Deaderick, or perhaps give one of the UDFA's a chance, as he did with when he kept Love in the first place (and even 7th rounder Deaderick for that matter). Deaderick became a bottom of the roster player. Perhaps Belichick prefers someone with more upside (and player not in his contract year).

No we don't have may wide-bodies, thanks to the premature releases of Love & Deaderick.
For that reason, Forston & Grissom are ahead of Vellano on the depth chart. Vellano will remain
at the bottom unless injuries occur.

The other UDFA that is supossed to be a run stuffer is Dwayne Cherrington. I think he is also competing with Grissom, thought scouts seems to have agreed that Grissom is more talented.

Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Back