PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

UDFA news thread [merged]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: UDFA news thread

Scott Long signed with the 49ERS

Seahawks have already signed like 15 UDFAs..

A bit more info on Sergio Brown:

Corwin Brown, our new DB coach, was co-defensive co-ordinator/DB coach at Notre Dame. So he should have the inside knowledge on Sergio.

Around the Bend: Preseason Position Prognostications: Notre Dame defensive backs
...Sergio Brown returns as a jack-of-all-trades. There's not a lot of playing time to be had, but it's not called a depth chart for scuba diving purposes.

3. Sergio Brown is the next David Bruton... as a gunner. We confess. We did not commit to memory the identities of the various special-teams gunners tried out by the Irish during spring practice. It will never happen again. At least until next spring.

Not sure how well Mike Anello will recover from a busted leg suffered late last year, and it just makes sense to have Brown, one of the most athletically gifted members of the defense, screeching down the field toward preoccupied punt returners. Arcane as this is, don't underestimate the value Bruton and Anello have provided, field-position-wise, in those gunner roles.

Found his Pro Day numbers too.
Dates: 03/23/10
Height: 6011
Weight: 204
40 Yrd Dash: 4.45
20 Yrd Dash: 2.55
10 Yrd Dash: 1.54
225 Lb. Bench Reps: 15
Vertical Jump: 35
Broad Jump: 10'03"
20 Yrd Shuttle: 4.06
3-Cone Drill: 6.67

Excellent athleticism.

A 4.65 40 is slow?

Joique Bell, RB, Wayne State - Player Profile - NFL Draft Day Insider

You might be surprised to learn this buy Emmitt Smith and Jerry Rice ran between a 4.7-4.8 40.

Right. They ran slow 40 times. They also happened to be Emmitt Smith and Jerry Rice: The exceptions, not the rule.

By NFL standards, yes, a 4.65 40 is slow. Had Joique Bell run a 4.5 40, he would have been drafted. (When asked about his 40, he brings up Rice in an interview from a few weeks ago: Q&A With Wayne State RB Joique Bell | Patriots Daily )

I also happen to think in his case that a slow 40 time won't prevent him from succeeding in the NFL. As I said, I wanted the Pats to pick him up.

Chris Zardas, FB from UMass, has signed with the Eagles.

J D Sal

Scott Long signed with the 49ERS

Disappointing, but it might be getting a little too crowded for UDFAs with 25 players on the Pats roster having one or fewer years of experience. :eek: ;)

Brandon Carter a Saint, apart from his...different look I wouldn't have minded seeing him being picked up :(

Right. They ran slow 40 times. They also happened to be Emmitt Smith and Jerry Rice: The exceptions, not the rule.

By NFL standards, yes, a 4.65 40 is slow. Had Joique Bell run a 4.5 40, he would have been drafted. (When asked about his 40, he brings up Rice in an interview from a few weeks ago: Q&A With Wayne State RB Joique Bell | Patriots Daily )

I also happen to think in his case that a slow 40 time won't prevent him from succeeding in the NFL. As I said, I wanted the Pats to pick him up.

Yes, I know about NFL emphasis on the 40, and it's stupid. The ability to quickly change directions, have a feel for when holes will open, ability to shed tackles are all FAR more important to a RB than a 40 time.

I don't know much about the kid but I'd be all for giving him a shot, I'd love to see a UDFA outplay Maroney.

Scott Sicko retired and says he is going to grad school rather than signing as an UDFA.

J D Sal

Scott Sicko retired and says he is going to grad school rather than signing as an UDFA.

J D Sal

wow are the Pats that bad of a team to want to play on?

J D Sal
wow are the Pats that bad of a team to want to play on?

UNH's Kackert signs; Sicko to call it a career - Saturday, Apr. 24, 2010
There was talk that Sicko might be a late-round pick in the draft.

"I've been contacted by a lot of teams for free agency," Sicko said. "I sat down with my family and talked about it and have decided not to pursue a football career, but to pursue my education instead."

Sicko is a history major with political science as a minor and graduates next month and said he intends to apply to graduate school soon.

"It would have been a dream come true to be drafted and play in the NFL," Sicko said. "But to go into the free agent process . . . I want to be realistic. It's incredibly difficult to pursue a career in the NFL through free agency. I see this as a fork in the road and I would love to keep pursuing my education and further that and develop a career."

Rashaun Greer, WR, Colorado State has signed with the Cowboys.

J D Sal

Nothing on RB James Starks?

J D Sal

that kind of sucks if true i'd love to have a UNH player on the pats espcally with the name sicko

Too bad they couldn't get Sicko but frankly- he is right! Why waste his time this summer training and playing when he knows it will take a miracle and likely serious injuries for him to crack a roster...

Nothing on RB James Starks?

Didn't you ask that a couple of hours ago?

DRAFTED. 6th round by the Packers.

Never mind about Starks. Packers took him in the 6th. LAME.

Sorry for the repeat, thanks for the info.

Last edited:

J D Sal

I think he should have at least gone to training camp ... just to say he did.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call