PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Typical Josh McDaniels

Status
Not open for further replies.
I fault McDaniels, big time, because he abandoned the reverses which worked very well in first half. 1-2 succesful reverses in the 3rd quarter would had forced Miami DL to stretch out, to defend them, thus making it easier to create running lanes. And with a running game, it would have been easier for the passing game.

There ya go! Now you're making sense.

7 passes and 3 runs. Twice as many passes.

I dont know what inc/sack/9 yard run, but a sack is a pass.

IIRC, the run with the holding was a long gainer the RB would have gained big yardage without the hold. You cant totally give up on the run and become 1 dimensional. Grind it out for 3.3 ypc and get first downs. Establish toughness.

If that was the Ridley run, that play wouldn't have gone anywhere if Ho-oh hadn't committed the foul.

Patriots need to work on their screen plays badly, can't just let the D sniff it out that quick.
That has been a recurring theme with the Pats, they used to be one of the best or probably best screen teams in the league, they haven't been that in a while.

when your defense cant stop anyone and your OL is not blocking the last thing you want to do is start calling plays like your down by 3 TD's grow a pear bring in 6 OL two TE's and run the ball right over them the worst that could happen is you give your defense a 5 min rest its a lot better then calling three hail marys and a punt and get your QB killed at the same time

Christopher Price @cpriceNFL
Despite fact that it was a 3-point game going into 4th quarter, Patriots had just 3 designed runs from scrimmage in final quarter Sunday.

when your defense cant stop anyone and your OL is not blocking the last thing you want to do is start calling plays like your down by 3 TD's grow a pear bring in 6 OL two TE's and run the ball right over them the worst that could happen is you give your defense a 5 min rest its a lot better then calling three hail marys and a punt and get your QB killed at the same time

Yes. And they carry a fullback on the team for a reason, no? Brady called him the best fullback in the NFL a couple of weeks ago.

Develin was in on 12 snaps in the 1st half, 5 snaps in the 2nd half.

Patriots need to work on their screen plays badly, can't just let the D sniff it out that quick.
They may also need to pry D Scharneccia out of retirement

when your defense cant stop anyone

In the 3 drives after Miami tied it up Pats defense allowed 48 yards and 1 FG.

Next Miami drive Revis goes out with an injury, Chandler Jones roughing the QB that was called after the refs saw it in the video screen took a 2nd 10 at the 15 and made it 1st and 10 from the 30 and the Dolphins drive for the TD that put the game away

Defense gave it back to the offense 3 times and they did nothing but put a defense that was getting exhausted back on the field in under 2 minutes each time.

Last edited:
I don't mind putting the ball in Brady's hands but McDaniels clearly doesn't appear to have a feel for the game.

The ghost of Christimas past is a very real phenomena regarding McDaniels' playcalling. I could have sworn I was watching the SB42 game plan against the Dolphins.

Yes. And they carry a fullback on the team for a reason, no? Brady called him the best fullback in the NFL a couple of weeks ago.

Develin was in on 12 snaps in the 1st half, 5 snaps in the 2nd half.

Seriously This. Put your damn FB in there let him open up some holes for your RBs.

Like I said McDaniels looks for any excuse to go pass heavy.

They may also need to pry D Scharneccia out of retirement
Well first I would decide on 5 guys and go with them and let them try to get some cohesion instead of this rotating stuff.

Hell put Stork out there and have Connolly and Cannon as the guards and use Fleming as an extra TE at points so you get him reps.

It's amazing to me how the pass-happy crowd continues to ignore the obvious.

The last SB the Pats lost was a direct result of the same stubborn pass-happy thinking. The 2011 Giants were one of the worst run defense teams in the NFL, yet the Pats went back to pass on the very first play and fell behind 2-0. Once behind they gave up running the ball, even though they never really tried.

I see it with other teams all the time too. Last night one team had the ball 1st and goal at the 1 and went back to pass on first down, leading to a sack and a 9 yard loss.

The idiotic 4th and 2 play by Belichick in Indy a few years ago is another great example. After going to a pass on 3 and 2, they then ran another pass play on 4th down and were not able to get a challenge in because they ran out of timeouts after the 3rd down play and kept the clock over two minutes because they passed it both times, which didn't allow the officials to review the 4th down pass to Faulk.

And sometimes, Tom Brady, as great a QB as he is, doesn't look like the GOAT when the Pats abandon the run so early.

I'm not sure what's worse, the frustration of seeing the Pats ignore the running game or the flock of fans that continue to support that faulty strategy.

It's amazing to me how the pass-happy crowd continues to ignore the obvious.

The last SB the Pats lost was a direct result of the same stubborn pass-happy thinking. The 2011 Giants were one of the worst run defense teams in the NFL, yet the Pats went back to pass on the very first play and fell behind 2-0. Once behind they gave up running the ball, even though they never really tried.

I see it with other teams all the time too. Last night one team had the ball 1st and goal at the 1 and went back to pass on first down, leading to a sack and a 9 yard loss.

The idiotic 4th and 2 play by Belichick in Indy a few years ago is another great example. After going to a pass on 3 and 2, they then ran another pass play on 4th down and were not able to get a challenge in because they ran out of timeouts after the 3rd down play and kept the clock over two minutes because they passed it both times, which didn't allow the officials to review the 4th down pass to Faulk.

And sometimes, Tom Brady, as great a QB as he is, doesn't look like the GOAT when the Pats abandon the run so early.

I'm not sure what's worse, the frustration of seeing the Pats ignore the running game or the flock of fans that continue to support that faulty strategy.
Brady has been carrying/covering up the deficiencies of the Patriots since 2009 (you can make an argument since 2006). As tough as he is, that has to take a toll on a man.

McDaniels isn't a winner IMO. Look at the points we've scored in Superbowls and AFCCG under him.

The bigger the game the worse his play calling I feel..

Edelman had 95 receiving yards the first half and 0 the second, why not use him on receiver screens to utilize his shiftiness.

But that's none of my business

I don't think screen plays work great anymore, defense have just gotten to fast, the days of slow lumping LB's is gone.

Who said anything about giving up? Despite all of Smessy's whining, they were 3 points down and got into FG range on the play where the OPI changed everything. I love how they can't give up the run, but it's ok for them to give up the pass.

Patsfans.com logic.

The Pats ran 6 times in the 2nd half and 1 of those runs was on 3rd and 29 just to get a better punt LOS.

That's basically 5 runs and 27 passes. Shmessy has already laid it all out. A 5 passes to 1 run ratio is as close as you can get to giving up on the run. On 3 drives the Pats never ran the ball even 1 down.

They gave up on the run just like in Denver for the AFCC last season.

Nobody here has suggested that the Pats give up on the pass. Think some semblance of BALANCE.

Anyone who watched the OL knows that the players weren't good enough on Sunday.

Maybe they are not, but were they put in a position to win passing 5 to 1 in the 2nd half?

Basically you've got a totally new OL combination that's never played a regular season game together. Pre season is deceptive.

THREE RB's?????? That will come as news to Deus. See post #37.

Except for Dillon, compared to the guys Charlie Weis had to work with, yes.

they need to rely on the run much more. Doing so last year won them a bunch of games..why stop now?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back