PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Ty Warren Says he is ready to compete for Come Back Player of The Year

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have thought all along that Wright and Warren will both be back at full speed.

I really hope you are wright about this. I've been concerned for him and I wish we could know more about how he is doing. There is no injury more devastating than his. I'm pulling for him.

no problem with tully setting the edge!

Chances are that Ninko and Cunningham will be the early down OLB's. They're better than TBC at setting the edge. But my comments were about running up the middle anyway, so...

If he is healthy, between his return, the presence of veteran studs like Mayo and Wilfork, the addition of Stroud, and the continued development of Spikes and Chung, we are going to have one hell of a tough middle to run through.

I think the addition of Stroud hasn't been analyzed enough. He could be the Pats projected RDE. And Warren should reprise his role at LDE, giving the Pats experienced and talented bookends on defense. Last year the cupboard was definitely bare at DE with Ty Warren out to injury and G. Warren being no more than a stop gap filler at the position.

Why the optimism for Stroud? Let's look more closely at the guy.

First size: 6'6 310 lbs. Right off the bat he's got prototypical size for a Pats 3-4 End. That's Richard Seymour territory.

Second: Consider his draft position. Stroud was selected #13 overall in the 2001 draft, the same year as Seymour. You have to consider that the Pats probably did a lot of scouting on Stroud as well and must have liked what they saw to recruit Stroud out of free agency. They just liked Seymour better in that year's draft. But he might have been their second choice for all we know.

Third: Consider Stroud's accomplishments. Stroud has made multiple pro-bowl appearances in 2003, 2004, and 2005.

Fourth: Consider his community involvement. Stroud hosted a free football camp for kids in 2009. That shows his involvment in charity and the community, something the Krafts like. I think that kind of involvement will help him fit in on this team.

In short, there's reason to get excited about Stroud's addition to the team. And he may well be the reason why BB opted not to draft a DE in the 2011 draft, going for a bigger immediate need at OT instead.

Adding Ty Warren and Marcus Stroud immediately changes the outlook of the Pats DL in 2011. It's gonna be fun watching these guys play!

Last edited:
Funny,
how seymour bashing threads numbered so many when he played here and after he was traded.

even now after so many years we are still talking about this underachieving bum [ from the threads]

2011 CPOY - Randy Moss, New England Patriots.

You heard it hear first.

I would think if Warren doesn't get CPOY that Bodden would.

Bodden is just as important to be 100% as Warren is

While Warren will help against the run,I am tired of seeing teams beat us downfield when they have 3rd and long

I just threw up a little in my mouth

It would bother you if someone wearing a Patriots uniform had a season that was so far ahead of expectations that it won the CPOY award?

Why?

Are your a Jets fan or something?

I think the addition of Stroud hasn't been analyzed enough. He could be the Pats projected RDE. And Warren should reprise his role at LDE, giving the Pats experienced and talented bookends on defense. Last year the cupboard was definitely bare at DE with Ty Warren out to injury and G. Warren being no more than a stop gap filler at the position.

Why the optimism for Stroud? Let's look more closely at the guy.

First size: 6'6 310 lbs. Right off the bat he's got prototypical size for a Pats 3-4 End. That's Richard Seymour territory.

Second: Consider his draft position. Stroud was selected #13 overall in the 2001 draft, the same year as Seymour. You have to consider that the Pats probably did a lot of scouting on Stroud as well and must have liked what they saw to recruit Stroud out of free agency. They just liked Seymour better in that year's draft. But he might have been their second choice for all we know.

Third: Consider Stroud's accomplishments. Stroud has made multiple pro-bowl appearances in 2003, 2004, and 2005.

Fourth: Consider his community involvement. Stroud hosted a free football camp for kids in 2009. That shows his involvment in charity and the community, something the Krafts like. I think that kind of involvement will help him fit in on this team.

In short, there's reason to get excited about Stroud's addition to the team. And he may well be the reason why BB opted not to draft a DE in the 2011 draft, going for a bigger immediate need at OT instead.

Adding Ty Warren and Marcus Stroud immediately changes the outlook of the Pats DL in 2011. It's gonna be fun watching these guys play!

I hope Stroud is closer to Seymour than Damione Lewis on the scale of 2000 first round DTs!

I hope Stroud is closer to Seymour than Damione Lewis on the scale of 2000 first round DTs!

Not a whole lot to worry about there. Lewis was never as good as Stroud and looked like a "what the hell" signing to me.

Let's consider their size right off the bat.
Stroud 6'6 310
Seymour 6'6 310
Lewis 6'2 300

Stroud is much closer to Seymour in that regards.

Past accomplishments and draft position:
Stroud 3x pro bowl selections, 1x first team all pro, 1x second team all pro #13 pick in 2001 draft
Seymour 6x pro bowl selections, 3x first team all pro, 1x second team all pro,#6 pick in 2001 draft
Lewis 0x pro bowl and 0x all pro selections. #12 pick in 2000 draft.

It's clear that 2000 was a poor year for defensive ends compared to 2001. The main question between Seymour and Stroud in that year's draft was sort of like the chicken and the egg - is this guy really as good as he looks or are the other dominant players on the DL making him look better? It looks like both New England and Jacksonville got players who were really good on their on merits.

Last edited:
Let's consider their size right off the bat.
Stroud 6'6 310
Seymour 6'6 310
Lewis 6'2 300

Stroud is much closer to Seymour in that regards.

Past accomplishments and draft position:
Stroud 3x pro bowl selections, 1x first team all pro, 1x second team all pro #13 pick in 2001 draft
Seymour 6x pro bowl selections, 3x first team all pro, 1x second team all pro,#6 pick in 2001 draft
Lewis 0x pro bowl and 0x all pro selections. #12 pick in 2000 draft.

It's clear that 2000 was a poor year for defensive ends compared to 2001. The main question between Seymour and Stroud in that year's draft was sort of like the chicken and the egg - is this guy really as good as he looks or are the other dominant players on the DL making him look better? It looks like both New England and Jacksonville got players who were really good on their on merits.

Lewis was 01 as well.

But I agree Stroud would seem the better fit size wise and had the better career. Seeing as Lewis didnt even make the squad he wont be worse. I could see Stroud giving us anything between what Gerrard Warren gave us last year and what Stroud was at his best. I dont think its is to crazy to think that with guys like Tiny and Wilfork next to him that he looks like the old Stroud though most likely scenario is a very good 1st and second down DL for us.

Last edited:
Ah yes, that was the 2001 draft. My mistake. It included Seymour, Stroud, Lewis, as well as Gerard Warren! :lol2:

Ah yes, that was the 2001 draft. My mistake. It included Seymour, Stroud, Lewis, as well as Gerard Warren! :lol2:

AND ...David Terrell.:D

OT was addressed as was OG if Cannon pans out, RB is now set, and the return of Warren and Wright absolutely bolsters DE. If they add a pass rushing LB and a WR who can stretch the field in free agency they are all set, and not many teams can say that. How you can see a glass that is 95% full as half empty is simply amazing.

That's a pretty silly position for you to take, given that most people here, and elsewhere, were in agreement on most of those positions following the season.

Also, since I noted the possibility of Cannon surprising (and it would be a mild surprise, given his current medical condition and the current state of the CBA keeping rookies from getting into the system), Wright was on the field last year while the team was struggling, and I've not been one of those people talking about getting rid of Warren (I've been a Warren defender), you were basically just talking out of your backside.

Last edited:
That's a pretty silly position for you to take, given that most people here, and elsewhere, were in agreement on most of those positions following the season.

Also, since I noted the possibility of Cannon surprising (and it would be a mild surprise, given his current medical condition and the current state of the CBA keeping rookies from getting into the system), Wright was on the field last year while the team was struggling, and I've not been one of those people talking about getting rid of Warren (I've been a Warren defender), you were basically just talking out of your backside.

I think most are in agreement as to where we can improve.

I think the question that needs to be asked is assuming we dont make any impact FA signings how do you see this teams abilities to compete?

Because pointing out needs and defending your stance heavily does not have to mean glass half empty depending on how you view this teams ability to compete. Even the teams that won 3 out 4 were not without flaw and were not with out areas we could point to in offseasons as needs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft