mikey

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/story/381865p-324257c.html

New York Daily News – Ty lays down law on coach
By RICH CIMINI
DAILY NEWS SPORTS WRITER
Tuesday, January 10th, 2006

Eric Mangini's first job in the NFL consisted of handing out media notes in the press box and washing jockstraps. That was only 11 years ago, when he was a go-fer on Bill Belichick's staff in Cleveland.

Mangini's stock has risen so dramatically that, in the coming days, the Patriots' rookie defensive coordinator could be offered the Jets' head-coaching job. Some might call it a gamble, hiring a 34-year-old coach. To cornerback Ty Law, it's a no-brainer.

"It would be an injustice if the Jets don't hire Eric Mangini," Law told the Daily News last night.

Law is a Mangini expert, having played five seasons under him in New England. They won three Super Bowls together. Law sees potential greatness in Mangini, calling him an excellent situational coach and a terrific motivator. When he looks at the other names on the Jets' list of candidates, he sees a bunch of recyclables.

"I have a lot of respect for Jim Haslett, but he's had an opportunity to be a head coach," Law said. "Mike Tice had an opportunity, too. These guys aren't head coaches anymore for one reason or another. When you've got a chance to start fresh, why not start with a guy who's got Super Bowl championships behind him?

"The other guys have coaching experience, but how many rings do they have?" Law continued. "If you've got all the tools and you've been part of championship teams, I think that should trump all questions about age. Plus, you've got a chance to take a valuable person away from the top dog. I'm quite sure that Eric knows more about Bill Belichick than anybody."

Mangini, believed to be near or at the top of the Jets' list of candidates to replace Herm Edwards, is scheduled to interview with team officials Sunday near Foxboro, Mass. The Patriots, two wins from reaching their third straight Super Bowl, play Saturday night in Denver.

Some industry sources believe it's Mangini's job to lose, but he could be faced with a dilemma: Loyalty versus friendship.

Mangini is close friends with Jets assistant GM Mike Tannenbaum, who serves on the board of directors of Mangini's football camp/charitable foundation in Hartford. But Mangini's football "Godfather" is Belichick, the man who has nurtured him. The Jets-Patriots Border War could become a tug of war.
"He's done a great job for me," Belichick said yesterday in Foxboro. "He's been an outstanding coach. I've been with him in three different organizations, and I have all the respect in the world for Eric."

Belichick wants to see Mangini succeed one day as a head coach, but he might not necessarily want him in the division, especially with the Jets — the team Belichick walked away from in 2000. Some believe Belichick will try to convince his protégé to pass on the turmoil-ridden Jets and wait for a better opportunity. Maybe the Jets will make an offer he can't refuse.
Is the Boy Wonder worth the millions?

"If Jon Gruden and Steve Mariucci can do it (34 and 41, respectively, when they became head coaches), I don't see any reason why Eric couldn't," Browns coach Romeo Crennel, Mangini's predecessor as Pats' defensive coordinator, said by phone. "Eric is a smart, young guy and he worked his way up the hard way. He's seen Bill operate, and I think that will be an advantage if he gets the job."

But there are questions, namely his age and lack of experience. Can he command respect from players the same age?

"It's not awkward at all," linebacker Willie McGinest said. "He understands football. He's been in a lot of great systems. He's been with Bill. He's done his dirty work. He's done his time and he's doing a great job."

Watch Tice or Haslett get the job, and Law will be backpedalling.

R

mikey said:
http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/story/381865p-324257c.html

"It's not awkward at all," linebacker Willie McGinest said. "He understands football. He's been in a lot of great systems. He's been with Bill. He's done his dirty work. He's done his time and he's doing a great job."

What's McGinest doing with the "Mangini leaps tall buildings with a single bound" stuff, trying to help sell him to the Jets? He should be saying the guy passes wind all the time in the locker room, or something.

njpatsfan said:
Watch Tice or Haslett get the job, and Law will be backpedalling.
R

How i would love to see him backpedaling on this!

But here is the killer: "Plus, you've got a chance to take a valuable person away from the top dog."

You said it, Ty-raitor, you said it.

flutie2phelan said:
How i would love to see him backpedaling on this!

But here is the killer: "Plus, you've got a chance to take a valuable person away from the top dog."

You said it, Ty-raitor, you said it.

What I find funny is that should Eric take the job,(which I doubt) he'd probably be letting Ty go!!!! :bricks:

I can't see the jests picking someone so young. It's hard to be a HC - more so in the pressure cooker of a NY team. A selection of someone who has been a coach before makes the most sense.

R

PatsChick87 said:
What I find funny is that should Eric take the job,(which I doubt) he'd probably be letting Ty go!!!! :bricks:

Mangini will have no say so of whether Ty stays or goes if he gets the job. He won't be the GM just the head coach.

njpatsfan said:
I can't see the jests picking someone so young. It's hard to be a HC - more so in the pressure cooker of a NY team. A selection of someone who has been a coach before makes the most sense.

R

But if the coaches that have been head coaches before suck what is the point of hiring them again, they had their chance.

DefenseRules said:
Mangini will have no say so of whether Ty stays or goes if he gets the job. He won't be the GM just the head coach.

I have to ask..if I am Mangini..why do I want Bradway calling the shots on the roster ? I am sure that BB has been telling Mangini about the job Bradway has done. The Jets job could ruin your career.

aabtec said:
I have to ask..if I am Mangini..why do I want Bradway calling the shots on the roster ? I am sure that BB has been telling Mangini about the job Bradway has done. The Jets job could ruin your career.

There are many cans of worms to this offer--the JETS are facing salary cap hell, QB questions, RB questions, Stadium questions and unreasonable expectations from an unreasonably rabid fanbase...

But it is good experience for Mangini to go through...

And I do not expect him to take accept an offer even if one is made...

I see no reason why he won't take the job. He is young, respected and has been mentored by the best.
NY will throw a ton of money at him, he would be nuts to say no. I hate to lose him but wish him second best - he can finish behind us every year.

fgssand said:
I see no reason why he won't take the job. He is young, respected and has been mentored by the best.

Well, if he's looking at the examples of Belichick, Saban and Crennel, he knows the importance of setting yourself up in a good position. Romeo didn't have a lot of choices, he's an older coach and didn't know if he'd ever get another opportunity. But he's gone through management turmoil, Kellen Winslow soap operas, and a talent-starved roster. Meanwhile Saban and Belichick both turned down other HC positions and got themselves set up nicely for the long haul.

The Jets have Pennington's contract hanging over them and aren't about to give a rookie coach any personnel control. I don't know whether Mangini would take the job, but I can say that if I were him, I wouldn't.

DefenseRules said:

If the HC has no say in who plays for him then I don't think I'd take that gig!!!

PatsChick87 said:
If the HC has no say in who plays for him then I don't think I'd take that gig!!!

I'm sure Mangini will have some input, but again, he won't be the GM or have control of the cap. Unlike here where BB has total control of the Organization, Mangini won't have that kind of power there. Unless, the Jets decide to give him that power. You never know.

Last edited:
flutie2phelan said:
...But here is the killer: "Plus, you've got a chance to take a valuable person away from the top dog."
"You said it, Ty-raitor, you said it.

Does that sound like a player (Law) who getting ready to head back to the Patriots next year? By the way, the headline banner on ESPN.com Rumor Central section continues to lead with Mangini as the runaway top choice to be grabbed as head coach of the New York Jets.

So this officially puts to bed any ideas of bringing back Ty Law when he gets cut by the Jets. It's clear his only motivation ehre is to weaken the Patriots, and furthermore it's clear that he realizes the Patriots WILL NOT be calling him when he gets cut.

Lets understand Ty Law.
He has a huge roster bonus due next year that most coaches hired would not want to pay to keep him.
His best chance of getting paid? Bring in a guy who coached him for years.

If you hire Eric Mangini and he says he wants Ty Law you keep Ty LAw.
That simple. Its not about who makes the decision, its about showing support for the guy you just hired. If Mangini is hired as HC NYJ he will have to be the one to say Ty Law goes. Of course, with that cap number, he will say Law goes.

Fanfrom1960 said:
What's McGinest doing with the "Mangini leaps tall buildings with a single bound" stuff, trying to help sell him to the Jets? He should be saying the guy passes wind all the time in the locker room, or something.

Perhaps passing wind in the locker room is considered a sign of power and wisdom with the Jersey Jets. :D

AndyJohnson said:
Lets understand Ty Law.
He has a huge roster bonus due next year that most coaches hired would not want to pay to keep him.

That simple. Its not about who makes the decision, its about showing support for the guy you just hired. If Mangini is hired as HC NYJ he will have to be the one to say Ty Law goes. Of course, with that cap number, he will say Law goes.
But is there a remote possibility that Ty Law is NOT thinking of his own welfare but is just stating the truth without any ulterior motive?

Is it not possible that Ty is already resigned to NOT returning back to the Jets and his enthusiastic recommendation of his friend and former coash is sincere?

Ty is no dummy and from everything I read about him, he is already resigned to not coming back to the Jets.

well

AndyJohnson said:
Lets understand Ty Law.

someone needs to remind Ty that odds are he won't be back next year. I mean the JETS can't afford that cap hit, especially with the pennington contract. Think of the irony: Mangini leaves the pats for the jets---cuts Ty and ty ends up back in NE!

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News