PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Two balls make all the difference. (giggity)

Fixit

Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal
Reaction score
Seriously, though. I see so much pearl-clutching around here about how terrible the rookie wide receivers are (and how screwed we are) after a whopping combined three game sample.

But if Dobson, who was open all night, hauls in that Brady bomb in stride, that's a beautiful TD. If Thompkins' hands were two inches lower on the overturned TD grab, we're talking about how unbelievable that catch is.

If both of those things happen, this board would be absolutely giddy, and the "rookie dropsies" would be mentioned here and there in far more optimistic tones.

Do some people really believe that a bad drop by a rookie (who had abused the coverage) in his first game, and a few inches of control on a diving catch by a rookie in his second game, are the basis for the rampant pessimism I keep seeing?

Because that's just stupid.

I agree entirely. People are far too quick to make judgements on results that are heavily influenced by randomness and/or low sample size. Two passes, 14 more points, that makes a huge difference. Brady's #s might still be ugly, but if you put up 27 points, you can live with that.

The rookies just need more time.

For the most part, I agree. If Dobkins hauls in the long pass and strolls in for a TD the Patriots win the game going away, all is forgiven.

The frustrating part was how many drops / mistakes there were and how tight the game was. Each drop became magnified and the rookies didn't rise up, the pressure got to them.

Let's see how it goes this week, it has been a while since I saw any Patriots receiver wide open in the deep part of the field, that is the silver lining, that and they are 2-0.

Go Pats!

it wasn't just dropsies though. it's the miscommunication & chemistry i was worried about. yes, chemistry takes time, but we are pats and we are always WIN NOW mode. and it's not like we never had busts in the past. ochocinco for example.

but our schedule did help. imagine we were playing good teams first 3 weeks. we could've been easily 0-2 and possibly 0-3 if we don't get better.

Agree,

It's nice to finally have 2 guys on the outside w/ speed who can run the long ball. I want to say Pats haven't had that threat since Moss not to mention it opens up short routes for Gronk/Edelman/Amendola.

I was as upset as anyone with the drops. But factor in the weather and the quick turnaround from game 1 to 2, it could have been a fluke. This game will be very telling of their progress. IMO. I have high hopes.

I disagree. The issues here are not about 2 drops (or misfires depending on your point of view); the issues are about not being consistently on the same page with the new receivers.

Yes, a lot of people look at the results and react to them. In this case, the results match up with the problem. But even if you change the results of those 2 passes, the problem would continue to exist. The concerns are right on.

That being said, a lot of the problem could be righted by November or December. There's time. I'm hopeful.

I wouldn't assume that the posters seemingly auditioning for ESPN would let a little thing like receptions get in the way of the story they want to spin. If those catches were made you'd still hear about the other drops, the route running issues, claims that they didn't count because it was against blown coverage, and/or how it was a lucky catch that probably should've been overturned.

Most fans saw the same thing: talented rookies struggling with their reads and letting it creep into other parts of their game. Hopefully experience will cure the first problem and the second will dissipate when that happens. Whether it's literally or figuratively it's probably better to ignore those that seem to only want to incite other fans.

Now when I read the title....

Seriously, though. I see so much pearl-clutching around here about how terrible the rookie wide receivers are (and how screwed we are) after a whopping combined three game sample.

But if Dobson, who was open all night, hauls in that Brady bomb in stride, that's a beautiful TD. If Thompkins' hands were two inches lower on the overturned TD grab, we're talking about how unbelievable that catch is.

If both of those things happen, this board would be absolutely giddy, and the "rookie dropsies" would be mentioned here and there in far more optimistic tones.

Do some people really believe that a bad drop by a rookie (who had abused the coverage) in his first game, and a few inches of control on a diving catch by a rookie in his second game, are the basis for the rampant pessimism I keep seeing?

Because that's just stupid.

Wait, so if they caught the passes instead of dropping them, we'd be talking about the catches instead of the drops?
Is water still wet?:D

Whats really funny, is all the jest fans keeps talking about how they lost, we didn't win. "if we didnt drop that pass....if Geno didn't throw behind....". Blaah, blah,blah. That works both ways. If the Pats didn't drop a few, it would have been a slaughter. :eek:

I'm really not worried about Dobson, he'll come around. I remember Jerry Rice his rookie season with the dropsies, and I remember one play where he caught a bomb against the Giants, was running free, nobody near him, and his own knee caused him to fumble before he scored (through the end zone for a touchback). Read this article. Not saying Dobson will be Jerry Rice, just saying he will come around.

FOOTBALL OUTSIDERS: Innovative Statistics, Intelligent Analysis | Too Deep Zone: Jerry Rice, Rookie Bust

Also, you oldtimers like me will rememeber that the 49ers used the Pat's 15th overall pick to draft Rice (they traded up). With the 32nd pick we took Eugene Chung I believe.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
Back