PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Tua in concussion protocol

Without the concussions I would gladly trade Mac for Tua and even be willing to throw in Matt Patricia and Joe Judge
I'd trade Patricia and Judge for Jaylen Waddle, but the issue with trading for Tua is I'm worried it's just a matter of time before someone reports the kid had a seizure and the Dolphins end up on the wrong end of a lawsuit. I know you said without the concussions...but it's crazy to think what he's been through this year.

But that aside, I wonder if Waddle and Hill were here how good we'd be. Both are massive upgrades over the guys who are here and it's hard to argue that they'd definitely be a better team offensively than they are, which makes you wonder how good Tua would be without them.

Last edited:
Use his arms to break his fall. He clearly saw the guy who was about to tackle him and got rid of the ball quickly.

I think he legit has a coordination/instincts issue with breaking his fall. He just never seems to use his hands to break his fall like other QBs do.

Try looking at the video again:

1. Tua throws the ball with his left hand. (looking at the slo-mo version, the ball is out at 14 seconds)
  2. He's then wrapped up from behind and spun (contact is made at 14 seconds).
  3. He puts out his left arm in an effort to brace himself (the hand hits the ground at 15 seconds, but Tua's already been spun 180 degrees and is going to down backwards, meaning the arm can't get purchase since it's already outside of his frame when it contacts the ground).
  4. Furthermore, because his legs are getting pinned by the tackler, Tua cannot use his lower body to help keep his arm within that frame, or to keep his upper body from being taken to the ground. His hand hits the ground just at the 16 second mark, but it's not enough.
  5. The whiplash effect of the tackle brings his upper body to the ground, and brings his head to contact. It's not even much contact, and it's the sort of thing that happens all the time in the NFL. It's not a Tua thing in that sense.

What might have been a Tua thing is that, possibly because of the earlier concussions being relatively recent, it took a relatively light contact to create this third concussion. But that's different from what you're claiming the issue to be.

I feel for the guy. He's finally having the year he wanted and many suspected he was capable of having. To chase the dream, touch it for a moment and have it slip away from something like this is tough.

I understand his impulse to keep going. Years ago, I had multiple concussions in a year and sometimes even a seemingly small impact caused this weird headache-y sensation and a bit of dizziness that made me wonder if I had experienced another. At that time, though, awareness of the damage concussions can do wasn't so much a thing so I never really did much about it. I'm more or less ok these days, but I can't do the spinny rides at amusement parks anymore.

To him, on a personal level, I'm sure the risk seems worth it. How do you walk away from something like this. I hope, whatever he does, it's something he can live with.

The last impressive thing the Dolphins did was back in September when they beat the Bills. Before their 4 game losing streak they beat Steelers by 6, Lions by 4, Bears by 3, Browns by 22 (Pats beat them by 23), Texans by 15.

They are 2-5 against teams that have clinched a playoff berth. Those 2 wins came back in September in back to back weeks.
Yeah, and those were barely wins - beating the Ravens by 4 points and Bills by 2 points. Every other victory is against a team with a sub-.500 record.

I'd trade Patricia and Judge for Jaylen Waddle, but the issue with trading for Tua is I'm worried it's just a matter of time before someone reports the kid had a seizure and the Dolphins end up on the wrong end of a lawsuit. I know you said without the concussions...but it's crazy to think what he's been through this year.

But that aside, I wonder if Waddle and Hill were here how good we'd be. Both are massive upgrades over the guys who are here and it's hard to argue that they'd definitely be a better team offensively than they are, which makes you wonder how good Tua would be without them.
Getting players like waddle or hill requires risk taking or bottoming out. BB has shown an aversion to both.
Other than Moss who they lucked into with a no risk trade, I can not remember the kast time pats have had a consistent athletically elite playmaker

The spread is now NE - 2.5. The game opened @ MIA - 1.5 before Mondays news.

It has moved 1 point more from Monday afternoon which had NE 1.5. That's still not enough to believe that Tua is not going to play IMO.

Getting players like waddle or hill requires risk taking or bottoming out. BB has shown an aversion to both.
Other than Moss who they lucked into with a no risk trade, I can not remember the kast time pats have had a consistent athletically elite playmaker

Yep, most of the time a top wr is going to be incredibly expensive and no guarantee they will pick up our system / be worth the investment. Moss was the perfect situation, it gave us a cheap trial year before we committed huge money to him.

Cooks was another nice talent we got at a reasonable cap figure, but while he was decent it wasn’t enough to break the bank for. Antonio Brown didn’t work. But these are probably the only type of attempts youll see here to acquire top wr talent.

So we get to see Teddy two gloves running for 98 yards instead of Tua passing for 367?
I'm not sure this Pats team can score enough to win on Sunday? Do they have a 24-27 point game in them??

In the games Bridgewater played a significant amount in this season Miami only scored 15 and 16 points so its not like he picks up right where Tua leaves off. Pats D should be able to have a good game. Let's hope the offense shows up.

So will the Pats win this?

Am I the only one who thinks Bridgewater gives MIA a better chance than does Tua?

I thought that the last time when Tua missed games due to a concussion and Bridgewater was awful against the Bengals and just so-so against the Vikes. He got a lot of yards and a couple of TDs against the Vikes, but he also turned the ball over twice. The Dolphins scored 15 points vs the Bengals and 16 points vs the Vikes with Bridgewater under center.

I agree that the results have not been good, BB seems averse to investing real capital in the WR position. The team has taken low risk flyers on other high profile WRs, maybe to replicate the success with Moss. Josh Gordon and Antonio Brown are the best examples.

I think so. Bridgewater is a competent back-up, but still a step down from Tua. Miami’s secondary also stinks out loud, so the offense may actually look competent for a change.

We're due

I think we need a few corners to get healthy and I'm still waiting on the O to show signs of improvement. I actually think the last two weeks have been encouraging (not encouraging enough but encouraging) but I still want to see more and for it to lead to a win.

So we get to see Teddy two gloves running for 98 yards instead of Tua passing for 367?
I'm not sure this Pats team can score enough to win on Sunday? Do they have a 24-27 point game in them??
Dec. 12 and Dec. 18 we scored 27 and 24 respectively. The Cinci game, not so much.

I wouldn't count on many of them coming on FGs though lol.

Looks like it will be Bridgewater on Sunday....no shocker here:

You’d say Brady wants to play behind an O line that makes a habit of putting their QB in concussion protocol?
You're assuming that would be the same result with a different player. Some people are more susceptible to concussions. Also, it appears that the Bucs' O line is as bad as the Phins'. He's not a mobile QB so he does not take as many unnecessary hits as Tua would. Also, Brady is known for getting rid of the ball quickly, and at his age he's not as willing to take as many hits unless the risk is worth the reward. Furthermore, I'd assume that he would not commit to a team that does not shore up the O line given how a bad O line has hindered his game this season.

On Thursday, Hicks tweeted: “I know some of you are mad — but UNO ain’t going anywhere for a very very long time. Get over it,” with crying-laughing emojis.

Tagovailoa, who was day-to-day after entering the protocol, will sit out Sunday’s crucial matchup with the Patriots at Gillette Stadium, head coach Mike McDaniel said Wednesday. Teddy Bridgewater will get the start.

“And BTW — NO ONE cares about your ‘fandom’. Being miserable is your own prerogative. Especially when the season isn’t over and the playoffs are ready and waiting,” Hicks added later. “So, Jump ship & find another team. No one cares lol. Especially the Miami Dolphins and their players.”

This is Nick Hicks, Tua’s trainer. Personally, I’d worry more about Tua’s long term health than the playoffs.

It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
Back