PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

TRUTH & RUMORS: Flutie to hang 'em up?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Digger44 said:
His role? His role Mo? Everybody knows that he is nothing but a trouble maker. He tried to get all the glory last season and caused a rift in the clubhouse. Then he tried to steel the show with the drop kick. That was nothing but a slap in the face to Brady. His role is mischeivous. lol.
i've changed my mind over the past year :D

I always thought he'd be 1 and done here.

Digger44 said:
I don't think it was a talent issue in the NFL. If Doug were 4-5 inches taller he could have seen over the rear ends on the offensive line. He had to step into the passing lanes to find a receiver and that is why he did not do well in the NFL. He just couldn't see over the OL & DL to find the target. In the CFL, the boys are much smaller. That is my theory.
Actually, if you look at his stats, he was able to do VERY well in the NFL. For whatever weird human-nature thing, the head coaches couldn't wait to give the ball back to their other poor QBs, even after Flutie was winning steadily. It's one of the big head-scratches of all times.

Some of his detailed NFL successes and stats are quite interesting, but without going into a lot of detail, ColdHardFootballFacts had a pretty good summary:

http://www.chff.net/Article.php?Page=168&Category=11

arrellbee said:
Actually, if you look at his stats, he was able to do VERY well in the NFL. For whatever weird human-nature thing, the head coaches couldn't wait to give the ball back to their other poor QBs, even after Flutie was winning steadily. It's one of the big head-scratches of all times.

Some of his detailed NFL successes and stats are quite interesting, but without going into a lot of detail, ColdHardFootballFacts had a pretty good summary:

If your coach think you are limited bcs you can't see over the OL, you are gonna be yanked.

Digger44 said:
If your coach think you are limited bcs you can't see over the OL, you are gonna be yanked.

Nearly 6' 6" Bledsoe had a penchant for blocked passes. Drew Brees is 6' 0" and most DLs are 6' 2" to 6' 6". How does a 6' 3" QB see over that DL? If you played QB you know that the answer is and always will be that as a QB you look and throw between the defenders in the lanes.

Last edited:
Maybe Doug wants to string us along like Favre did in Green Bay. Sorry Doug, you aren't Favre and BB is not Mike Sherman. Make up your mind quick or BB will make it up for you.

The Gr8est said:
Maybe Doug wants to string us along like Favre did in Green Bay. Sorry Doug, you aren't Favre and BB is not Mike Sherman. Make up your mind quick or BB will make it up for you.

I would like to think we could find a better vet QB than soon to be 44 yr old Flutie.

PatsWickedPissah said:
Nearly 6' 6" Bledsoe had a penchant for blocked passes. Drew Brees is 6' 0" and most DLs are 6' 2" to 6' 6". How does a 6' 3" QB see over that DL? If you played QB you know that the answer is and always will be that as a QB you look and throw between the defenders in the lanes.

So you are trying to tell me that a 6'6" Bledsoe doesn't have an easier time that a 5'10" doug Flutie?

Digger44 said:
So you are trying to tell me that a 6'6" Bledsoe doesn't have an easier time that a 5'10" doug Flutie?

No, I was just refuting your point.

What I said was that the almost 5' 10" Flutie like any good QB shuffles around and finds the lanes to throw through. The Tall One was The Statue and always did a poor job of finding the lanes and thus had passes galore batted down despite his extraordinary height. Drew somehow couldn't realise that pass defenders actually raise their arms ! when rushing the passer. OK, I'm exagerating a bit here, but you get the point.

PatsWickedPissah said:
That's just what happened in Buffalo when in the late 90s the Bills had their last 'window of opportunity' at the playoffs and the owner anc coach went with loser Rob Johnson instead, thereby pissing away post season oppportunities for a good team.

That aside, there's a point when you're too old to play. Arm strength goes and reactions slow a bit from NFL speed. You'd think that mid-40s would be that time. Maybe it IS time to retire. I'd favor a 40 yr old Flutie who knows the system over another vet but Flutie is several years older than 40 this fall.

And yeah, Feidler, whom I'd like to orchestrate the team at backup if recovered, would want more than the minimum and would seek an oppportunity where he'd have a shot at being a #1.

Jay Fiedler is now in his mid-thirties. His days as a starter are done. Probably the same can be said for Kerry Collins. As veteran ex-starters, they have the experience of leading clubs that won more than 10 games a season.

As such, they are more than adequate if called on in an emergency, to guide a talented club that the don't have to carry on thier back, but merely to contribute to at the QB position.

AzPatsFan said:
Jay Fiedler is now in his mid-thirties. His days as a starter are done. Probably the same can be said for Kerry Collins. As veteran ex-starters, they have the experience of leading clubs that won more than 10 games a season.

As such, they are more than adequate if called on in an emergency, to guide a talented club that the don't have to carry on thier back, but merely to contribute to at the QB position.

Remarkeably though QB's who believe they never really had their fair shot tend to be inclined to want to hang on for it ad nauseum. That's what led Fiedler to a multi year deal with the JETS prior to last season - his belief that Noodle would go down, as he did, and Jay would be poised to ride in and save the day. What he hadn't planned on was being taken out himself on the ensuing play, landing on IR with Noodle and therefore being cut after the season.

There are also still more than a couple of teams in need of a veteran #2 who will likely overpay for such perceived security. The Giants are interested in Fiedler to compete with Tim Hasselback, but his shoulder is not yet healed and he won't be throwing until June. So unless you want to take a chance and sign him out from under them as is he wouldn't have much time to immerse himself in the offense.

What we appear to need is a minimum salary veteran #3, and one who knows the playbook and whose arm is unlikely to fall off would be a bonus. ;)

well, I think that this is....

PatsWickedPissah said:
I would like to think we could find a better vet QB than soon to be 44 yr old Flutie.

the most valid point of all of them.....there must be much better options for backup QB out there...than Dougie....aren't there? He really needs to retire and fade off into broadcasting......

Realistically.....

arrellbee said:

Realistically, Doug's best stats in the NFL and with the Pats was when he was handing the ball off.....or dumping short passes off......most coach's feelings were that the more they tried to expand the O with him.....the more mistakes he made........the biggest problems for him occurred when a coach figured out....hey put pressure on him from the outsides and make him throw it over the line through the middle....it was a INT free for all because he couldn't see the field. If you let flutes roll out to the outside he became somewhat more dangerous.......the other variable when he rolled out obviously was that he could run with it.......Flutes has always been a average at best NFL QB...........I would imagine that BB has another "younger" FA 3rd stringer in mind this year....or heck, sign a rook/project QB to back up Cassel for cheap cash and let him develop in practice........

Status
Not open for further replies.

2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft