patsfaninpa

Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract
Reaction score
I know this is un-Patriot like. But, would you trade both picks for a
player another team franchised. Would have to be a young proven
veteran. Who is unquestionably a premier player. Orlando Pace and
Walter Jones would be two examples of the types of players I'm talking
about. I would consider Anquon Boldin or a stud-db. Don't see many
lb's out there who would be great in our system.

My reasoning is that we have built a tremendous roster of good, young
players. We have something like 40 guys signed for 07 and are looking
to be 30m under the cap. We don't have many holes to fill at all. I think
one or two impact free-agents would make us dominant over the next
3-4 years. Would still give us enough cap room to sign our own guys
too like; D.Graham,Koppen and A.Samuel. My other FA whom I think
would be a great fit for us is L.Briggs - lb - Chi. He's a ufa without comp.

I know this is unlikely because it just isn't our way. Plus, some of
our veterans might look at the new guys witha wayward eye. Bruschi,
Rodney,Vrabel,Colvin,etc. But, there is more than one way to build
a great team.

F**K NO.

Lauren Maroney. Logan Mankins. Vince Wilfork. Ben Watson. Ty Warren. Daniel Graham.

ALL OF THESE GUYS WERE LATE FIRST ROUND PICKS. All of them are huge contributors to are team for small contracts. Why on earth would you ever give up 2 of these for a more expensive player who you could get for nothing (but $$) in free agency anyway?

Are you kidding me? Let Belichick and Pioli make all the damn draft picks they can. Rumor has it next season has a deep draft, particularly at wideout. The Pats can do some serious damage with 2 first rounders.

Last edited:
Nah...Belichick/Pioli have a great record of top of the round picks...a LB and a SS who get to groom for a year sounds good to me.

That's a terrible idea. We've drafted great these past few years. I'm excited to see what comes out of our picks next year. I wouldn't be surprised if we get a Pace or W. Jones to-be in next years draft.

BradyManny2344 said:
F**K NO.

Lauren Maroney. Logan Mankins. Vince Wilfork. Ben Watson. Ty Warren. Daniel Graham.

ALL OF THESE GUYS WERE LATE FIRST ROUND PICKS. All of them are huge contributors to are team for small contracts. Why on earth would you ever give up 2 of these for a more expensive player who you could get for nothing (but $$) in free agency anyway?

Are you kidding me? Let Belichick and Pioli make all the damn draft picks they can. Rumor has it next season has a deep draft, particularly at wideout. The Pats can do some serious damage with 2 first rounders.

FWIW. I'd trade Graham and Watson for Boldin. There are many tight ends out there with the skill level of Graham/Watson. We haven't had a wr like
Boldin since I.Fryar. And Fryar was a head case. A big wide-out who is
an excellent receiver and blocks like a te is nothing to sneeze at. Boldin blocks nearly as well as H.Ward and has caught 100 balls 2x in 3 years.

Our lines are pretty set. We haven't drafted a good lb yet in BB's
tenure. He doesn't want to teach someone how to play and then lose
them to free agency when they become productive. He looks for
the vets who fit his system. We haven't exactly drafted any great
db's either. E.Wilson,A.Samuel and Hobbs are ok. But, nothing great. If
there's a FA out there like a young Rodney or Rod Woodson.
Why not trade for him? We won't find anyone that good in the draft at
those possitions.

patsfaninpa said:
.... My other FA whom I think
would be a great fit for us is L.Briggs - lb - Chi. He's a ufa without comp.

What a great idea!
The cap space we're saving this year ... for next year
... could well be used for a Lance Briggs ...
to the Patriots' enormous benefit.

Cf., Rosevelt Colvin.

patsfaninpa said:
FWIW. I'd trade Graham and Watson for Boldin. There are many tight ends out there with the skill level of Graham/Watson. We haven't had a wr like
an excellent receiver and blocks like a te is nothing to sneeze at. Boldin blocks nearly as well as H.Ward and has caught 100 balls 2x in 3 years.

those possitions.

Just throw out the baby with the bath water approach, eh?

Franchise players aren't traded for 2 #1's, that is the price you pay if you sign one rather than trade for him which is why nobody does. Teams that don't want to trade one use the exclusive tag (top 5 current year salary) and nobody can talk to them. Depending on how vocal/unhappy the tagged player is, what position he plays and who is seeking the trade and and why they usually go for a single #1+/-. When we tagged and traded Tebucky we got a couple of picks but they were later day 1 and day 2 as I recall.

patsfaninpa said:
I know this is unlikely because it just isn't our way. Plus, some ofour veterans might look at the new guys witha wayward eye. Bruschi,Rodney,Vrabel,Colvin,etc. But, there is more than one way to build
a great team.

Care to share any recent (cap era) examples of those?

also from what i heard the other day on fsn the pats have 2 1st rounders a 2nd rounder and 3 3rd rounders we can get some serious depth and young talent next year!

patsfaninpa said:
FWIW. I'd trade Graham and Watson for Boldin. There are many tight ends out there with the skill level of Graham/Watson.

yup

the league is rife with 265 pounders that run a -4.5/40, pancake block and have to be doubled downfield

:singing:

trade two relatively underpriced players for one relatively overpriced player? Helllllllllllllllllll noooooooooooooooooooooo!

patsfaninpa said:

those possitions.
Stop drinking the Jerry Jones and Daniel Snyder Koolaid!!!!!!!!!!

Why would you give two #1's and then have to give big time cash to a franchised guy who has milage on him?

The only guy I do that for is Brady or Manning. The Pats have succeed becuase of their scouting and draftiing. You keep bringing quality youth in and let them go when they demand high cash when you don't think they deserve it.

This is known as moneyball...Billy Beane.

I'm shocked that someone would post a legit question/topic on this board only to have a bunch of people call him an idiot. :eyeroll:

I think the orig. poster is talking about offering a high-level RFA tender, which IMO is a great idea is someone the caliber of Boldin is available.

IIRC, a RFA tender you give up your teams picks, not any picks you acquired. So if Pats are picking 30-32, and lets say Seattle has a mediocre season and their pick is 15-20, why not give up your orig. 1/3 for a known commodity?

Makes plenty of sense to me. It of course is dependent on who is available, but it is not an idea without merit.

flutie2phelan said:
What a great idea!
The cap space we're saving this year ... for next year
... could well be used for a Lance Briggs ...
to the Patriots' enormous benefit.

Cf., Rosevelt Colvin.
Not high on Briggs. Kind of a system LB. Not very fast, not very big, benefits from Harris, Brown, Urlacher. Take him out of Chicago he's JAG.

patsfaninpa said:
I know this is un-Patriot like. But, would you trade both picks for a player another team franchised..

This thread is COMPLETELY stupid. Obviously you have not paid attention to the manner Scott Pioli and Bill Belichick value draft picks.

Man, this board is getting outright hostile.

The Pats have traded away draft picks for
Dillon
Starks
Ted Washington
Gabriel
Andre Davis

and IIRC, have made RFA offers to two players that were matched by the player's team.

If the Patriots have determined that a player is worth X to them and X equals 2 1st round picks to them, then I would expect them to trade 2 1st round picks for the player.

For the record, I do not expect them to make such a trade. Why?? I do not think such a player will exist in free agency next year.

PatsFaninPa, thanks for bringing up an interesting topic. FWIW, this thead is not stupid, IMO.

skri65 said:
That's a terrible idea. We've drafted great these past few years. I'm excited to see what comes out of our picks next year. I wouldn't be surprised if we get a Pace or W. Jones to-be in next years draft.

The Finz gave up two first round picks for Ricky 'Rastaboy' Williams.

Ok. Since we are just throwing out ideas.

How about this deal?

Daniel Graham and one of our first round picks for Brian Urlacher?

Don't shoot me, its just a question......

Ted Ginn Jr. = faster Troy Brown

He is the one player I genuinely think fits the Pats system of versatility and short quick hit patterns. Also completly revamps our return game. Oh yeah and he has played CB at Ohio State. One more weapon for Brady :rocker:

Status
Not open for further replies.

What Did Tom Brady Say During His Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
What Did Drew Bledsoe Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast? Here’s the Full Transcript
What Did Belichick Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
Monday Patriots Notebook 5/6: News and Notes
Tom Brady Sustains, Dishes Some Big Hits on Netflix Roast Special
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Back