PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

* Top 64: What Are Your First 4 Picks?? *

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah, because judging the OL solely against a team that hasn't had a sack since October 15th and doesnt blitz is going to decide what type of shape the OL is in. It's games like this where the OL gives you a false sense of security. Then you go play a real defense that throws some exotic looks at you and blitzes, and Brady is under fire all day. Brady has been hit and sacked way too often this year.

Against the Vikes weren't the only time the OL has been stellar this year.

Don't know any way to describe your assessment of Mankins first contract other than this. You are wrong. Also, he was the last pick of the 1st round. Here's a link to the 2005 draft. Tell me which 2nd rounder is even close to as good as Mankins please?

2005 NFL Draft Listing | Pro-Football-Reference.com

It wasn't the player I was objecting to. It was the position. If the only guy even close to late first value was a OG then that's the textbook reason you trade out of the spot. That's like taking a punter in the late first because "hey, the only other choices sucked."

I'm not even going to look at a list to say who we should have picked in hindsight. That's always bogus.

Yeah, because judging the OL solely against a team that hasn't had a sack since October 15th and doesnt blitz is going to decide what type of shape the OL is in. It's games like this where the OL gives you a false sense of security. Then you go play a real defense that throws some exotic looks at you and blitzes, and Brady is under fire all day. Brady has been hit and sacked way too often this year.
At this point in time the Patriots O-line is ranked 3rd best in the league as far as hits, hurry's and sacks.

At this point in time the Patriots O-line is ranked 3rd best in the league as far as hits, hurry's and sacks.

Yeah, but come 2011 as few as one of these guys could be starting. Light will be a free agent and he has struggled against speed rushers more and more every year, Mankins will be gone and Connolly has been benched, Koppen gets killed by NTs in a division where everyone plays the 3-4, and Vollmer could be switched to the blindside. O-line is, IMO, the biggest area of concern.

Hence my new mock:

01. Mark Ingram, RB, Alabama
Well, that's my story and I'm sticking to it. Ingram can be a starter from day one and take the pressure off Brady. Don't get me wrong, I love the production the team's getting from BJGE and Woody, but a featured back is needed. The offense hasn't be looking as hot as it should, IMO, and adding such a back could completely change it.
And a quick question: how do you defend Brady+Ingram? 8 in the box and drop back into coverage 6? Ooops, can't do it.

01. Cameron Heyward, DL, Ohio St
Heyward plays bigger than his size against the run and, while his pass rush consists only of the bull rush, I bet Pepper Johnson can make him a better player. He also has the work ethic, leadership and character Belichick looks for in his players. I believe he was overhyped coming into the 2010 season, but that's actually good, since scouts will have analyzed his game under such scrutinizing microscope that he might fall to 32nd (what? You didn't know the Patriots will win the Super Bowl?).
And, to be inquisitive again, how can a team run against a front with Heyward, Wilfork and Ty? That's tough.

02. Jeremy Beal, OLB, Oklahoma
Another blue-collar, high work ethic, leader player to the defense. Beal falls into Belichick's prototype of OLB, and he's also better against the run than Quinn and has at least some experience dropping into coverage. He'll surely improve the pass rush with his relentless motor and his desire, and that's a need. Imagine having Cunningham and Beal for the next decade: QBs won't like it, I tell you.

02. Mike Pouncey, G/C, Florida
I've had Pouncey in each and every one of my mocks, so I'll be surprised when Belichick doesn't draft him.
I'd go with Stefen Wisniewski here if I were the GM, but it looks dumb right now to bet for a Penn State player against a Florida player when Belichick is calling the shots.

03. Clint Boling, G/T, Georgia
Perfect for the Patriots blocking schemes, and has experience playing T and G, something Belichick looks for. He's very passionate and a student of the game, plays screens and pulls very well. He'll most likely be a NFL guard, but he's still worth a 3rd rounder, IMO, specially because he's such a great fit.

03. Benjamin Ijalana, T/G, Villanova
Yet another high-character leader, a value pick who'll anchor the line opposite Vollmer. Love his tape: great range with good dropback and a mauler in the run game. He'll make some mistakes at times but looks coachable in them. He surely hasn't faced elite competition yet but, really, neither did Vollmer at this point of his career.

04. Derrell J-Koulianos, WR, Iowa
Another pick I haven't and probably won't change: the wide receiver from Iowa. He's become more of a soft spoken guy from working with a very Belichickean coach, and the talent is undeniable. Sure, I don't see WR as big a need as some people do, but I believe a guy like Derrell can help the team (also, don't forget Price will probably play in 2011).

05. Mark Gilbert, T/G, Florida
He's played guard, RT for a lefty and LT for a righty. Another quality pick from Meyer's team.

06. Chris Carter, OLB, Fresno St
This player from a Belichick-friendly program has been great pressuring QBs this season, and at 6'2''/240 he's not that much smaller than most Patriots' OLBs (on the negative side, he's already very muscular and compact, so I guess he can't add more bulk). A leader with great instincts, non-stop motor and some tape where he just dominates OTs. Last year he played with a club protecting his hand, so he's tough.
This is another pick I've had for so long that I'll be surprised when Belichick completely ignores him on draft day :(

07. Ryan Houston, FB, North Carolina
He can play RB on short yardage situations, he can block very well and he's one of the biggest fullbacks in this year's draft. I always put a FB in my Patriots mocks, because I feel the need for one, and every year I get it wrong. But let's hope Houston replaces Sammy Morris, because he sure can.

Last edited:
My top 6 picks ( 3 Rounds)

1A. Pick OLB Da’Quan Bowers: Clemson
(6'4", 280 lbs, Junior)
RackMultipart.30513.0_display_image.jpg

1B. WR Michael Floyd: Notre Dame
(6'3", 225 lbs, Junior)
Michael-Floyd.jpg

2A. OT/RT Anthony Castonzo: Boston College
(6'7", 295 lbs, Senior)
adba2e_castonzo_08122010.jpg

2B. Mikel Leshoure, RB, Illinois
Height: 6-1. Weight: 228.
4c6a73de5b688.preview-300.jpg

3A. Jerrell Powe, DT Mississippi 6-2 330
jerrell_display_image.jpg

3B. Steve Schilling, G, Michigan
Height: 6-5. Weight: 303.
stephen-schilling-p1.jpg

This enables us to really ReLoad.. We get our front 7 set with Cunningham and Bowers on the outside and giving us a LB corps of Bowers / Cunningham / Mayo / Spikes :eek:

I really like Floyd and I think we can manage to grab him if we really want to.. He knows the offense and would make a great asset in the years to come.. Tate / Floyd / Edelmen / Welker / Price

We needed to address the right side of the OL.. I believe that we will sign Mankins in the offseason.. I think Matt Light is allowed to leave moving Vollmer to LT .. So that means we need to address the Right side.. I think these guys can will be a great infusion of youth and have experience in a zone blocking scheme.

My other two picks Powe and Leshoure are the Wild Card picks.. but I think both would be great picks in terms of the direction the team is moving forward via offense and defense.

Leshoure would be great power back that would replace Fred Taylor and compliment Law Firm and Woody..

Powe is BIG DT that can move.. hmmm.(Big Vince) I think I like the sound of that type of player.. BB likes versatility and seems like he likes these massive front 3 guys.. Props to this post

my .02 :cool:

Last edited:
Bowers is a 4-3 DE, he's not playing OLB at 280lbs. He'll be a real good player in the NFL...for a team that plays 4-3.

No 3-4 DE and another NT when there are already 2 or 3 on the team already?
Wilfork playing DE is more out of need than scheme, GWarren isn't good enough at it, and there isn't anyone else.

WR is not a high enough need to warrant a 1st round pick.

He can play RB on short yardage situations, he can block very well and he's one of the biggest fullbacks in this year's draft. I always put a FB in my Patriots mocks, because I feel the need for one, and every year I get it wrong. But let's hope Houston replaces Sammy Morris, because he sure can.

They actually have one on military reserve, Navy FB Eric Kettani, who might come off MR next year.

[And then they can sign Navy FB Alexander Teich so he can play in 2013 or so. . . . ;) ]

Yeah, but come 2011 as few as one of these guys could be starting. Light will be a free agent and he has struggled against speed rushers more and more every year, Mankins will be gone and Connolly has been benched, Koppen gets killed by NTs in a division where everyone plays the 3-4, and Vollmer could be switched to the blindside. O-line is, IMO, the biggest area of concern.

Hence my new mock:

Well, that's my story and I'm sticking to it. Ingram can be a starter from day one and take the pressure off Brady. Don't get me wrong, I love the production the team's getting from BJGE and Woody, but a featured back is needed. The offense hasn't be looking as hot as it should, IMO, and adding such a back could completely change it.
And a quick question: how do you defend Brady+Ingram? 8 in the box and drop back into coverage 6? Ooops, can't do it.

Heyward plays bigger than his size against the run and, while his pass rush consists only of the bull rush, I bet Pepper Johnson can make him a better player. He also has the work ethic, leadership and character Belichick looks for in his players. I believe he was overhyped coming into the 2010 season, but that's actually good, since scouts will have analyzed his game under such scrutinizing microscope that he might fall to 32nd (what? You didn't know the Patriots will win the Super Bowl?).
And, to be inquisitive again, how can a team run against a front with Heyward, Wilfork and Ty? That's tough.

Another blue-collar, high work ethic, leader player to the defense. Beal falls into Belichick's prototype of OLB, and he's also better against the run than Quinn and has at least some experience dropping into coverage. He'll surely improve the pass rush with his relentless motor and his desire, and that's a need. Imagine having Cunningham and Beal for the next decade: QBs won't like it, I tell you.

I've had Pouncey in each and every one of my mocks, so I'll be surprised when Belichick doesn't draft him.
I'd go with Stefen Wisniewski here if I were the GM, but it looks dumb right now to bet for a Penn State player against a Florida player when Belichick is calling the shots.

Perfect for the Patriots blocking schemes, and has experience playing T and G, something Belichick looks for. He's very passionate and a student of the game, plays screens and pulls very well. He'll most likely be a NFL guard, but he's still worth a 3rd rounder, IMO, specially because he's such a great fit.

Yet another high-character leader, a value pick who'll anchor the line opposite Vollmer. Love his tape: great range with good dropback and a mauler in the run game. He'll make some mistakes at times but looks coachable in them. He surely hasn't faced elite competition yet but, really, neither did Vollmer at this point of his career.

04. Derrell J-Koulianos, WR, Iowa
Another pick I haven't and probably won't change: the wide receiver from Iowa. He's become more of a soft spoken guy from working with a very Belichickean coach, and the talent is undeniable. Sure, I don't see WR as big a need as some people do, but I believe a guy like Derrell can help the team (also, don't forget Price will probably play in 2011).

He's played guard, RT for a lefty and LT for a righty. Another quality pick from Meyer's team.

This player from a Belichick-friendly program has been great pressuring QBs this season, and at 6'2''/240 he's not that much smaller than most Patriots' OLBs (on the negative side, he's already very muscular and compact, so I guess he can't add more bulk). A leader with great instincts, non-stop motor and some tape where he just dominates OTs. Last year he played with a club protecting his hand, so he's tough.
This is another pick I've had for so long that I'll be surprised when Belichick completely ignores him on draft day :(

I agree something has to be done about next year, i only posted that because so many people here believe that the o-line is playing poorly.
I wouldn't spend a high first round pick on a RB, you can find a good RB later on. But if this team is going small ball they need a good RB I would spend this years high 1st rounder on defense, specifically d-line. I might use the 2nd first on a center (mike pouncy is Not as good as his brother) or tackle. Or an elephant type LB, (i haven't seen enough of Beal to have an opinion) but D Bowers is a possibilty.

Pick
1A D-Lineman
1B BAA at OLB, or Tackle position
2nd round, continued from needs un-fulfilled from first round best at position RB, C, WR, CB, etc.
3rd guard,
I just don't have the patience to type a lot, im not all that good at typing fast so i'll say its harder to find quality D-lineman or OLB/pass rusher so i would spend our first round picks on them.I would like to see BB not trade down much this year, there have been so many picks over the last two years that i'd like to see him go for top quality instead of drafting a high number of players that aren't great but have the potential to be.

Last edited:
Bowers is a 4-3 DE, he's not playing OLB at 280lbs. He'll be a real good player in the NFL...for a team that plays 4-3.

Wilfork playing DE is more out of need than scheme, GWarren isn't good enough at it, and there isn't anyone else.

This is a quote from the linked article

"Bowers arrived to fall camp in better shape, dropping to 272 pounds, 20 pounds below his 2009 playing weight. There was no more fast food, no more short cuts, no more believing it would be easy just because he arrived with No. 1 overall prospect status in 2008"

Also from PatsFans:

"Bowers is definitely someone to keep on the Pats radar. He's one of the few ends in college who is extremely stout against the run, has experience playing in a two-point stance both to rush and to drop into coverage, and consistently extends his arms, locks out his blocker, reads the play, and sheds to make the tackle--textbook two-gap technique. He plays like a Vrabel or McGinest already."

"Da'Quan Bowers is my favorite player in this draft and I think he would be a perfect fit to convert to OLB. He is a monster at 6'4 270, with Julius Peppers type athletecism. He can set the edge, rush the passer, play a variety of positions and has some experience dropping into coverage. He's not going to be your prototypical 3-4 OLB that regularly drops into coverage, but he would be a perfect fit for the Willie McGinest elephant role.

The thing I like most about Bowers is the variety of ways BB could use him. He can play the standard 3-4 OLB, he is big enough to play the 5-tech on passing downs and he has also had some success playing inside on 4-man fronts. He started the year as a mid second round prospect, but by the end of the year I could easily see him going top 10."

Switching to Gerrard Warren.. I doubt he will be here next year.. and there is a trend of the BigUn's that BB is now employing Ty Warren is not getting any younger..

In terms of WR.. I agree to a point but if Floyd is available near their pick they will grab him.. D. Branch won't be around much longer :(

Last edited:

yopats is not off his rocker.

I've managed to watch one Clemson game and will be trying to take in another, but Clemson used a 3-4 with Bowers and Branch (6-5/260, Jr.) at OLB. Both dropped in coverage, etc. Branch got one pass defensed from his underneath zone just sticking up a big paw and tipping the ball. Bowers looked to be carrying 10-15 lbs he didn't need, if he is willing to work at it, he could be playing around Big Willie's 270.

My biggest concern with Bowers are mental and emotional. I've read various items about his new attitude and how he's reacting to the loss of his father. NE would need to more thoroughly research his mental state, but what I've seen so far (and as noted I want to check further), this kid could indeed play OLB for NE.

My top 6 picks ( 3 Rounds)

1A. Pick OLB Da’Quan Bowers: Clemson
(6'4", 280 lbs, Junior)
1B. WR Michael Floyd: Notre Dame
(6'3", 225 lbs, Junior)
2A. OT/RT Anthony Castonzo: Boston College
(6'7", 295 lbs, Senior)
2B. Mikel Leshoure, RB, Illinois
Height: 6-1. Weight: 228.
3A. Jerrell Powe, DT Mississippi 6-2 330
3B. Steve Schilling, G, Michigan
Height: 6-5. Weight: 303.

Bowers is a better fit for a 4-3, like Taxed said, and I don't think he'll fall to 1A, sadly.
And I'm not a Michael Floyd fan at all. I only watched his tape from 2009, when he did the same play over and over again (and while he surely can run a streak, his route running looks poor, and it's impossible to say how much he knows of the game). I've heard that he's playing better this year, but I have to see it to become a believer.
Castonzo at 2A would be good, hope he falls that far.
Leshoure is a great back. I rank RB as my #1 need/want, but if Ingram isn't there at 1A I'd be very happy to get Leshoure at 2B. Even 2A. He'll rise up draft boards IMO. We could see him going in the first round, if the world is fair.
I like Powe too. In fact, I like any 330 pound DT who can move :singing:
I like Schilling, but there are other prospects I like better (like the ones I used in my mock, lol).
But good mock, thanks for sharing!

They actually have one on military reserve, Navy FB Eric Kettani, who might come off MR next year.

[And then they can sign Navy FB Alexander Teich so he can play in 2013 or so. . . . ;) ]

True, I forgot. I'll have to change that pick in my next attempt :bricks:

I agree something has to be done about next year, i only posted that because so many people here believe that the o-line is playing poorly.
I wouldn't spend a high first round pick on a RB, you can find a good RB later on. But if this team is going small ball they need a good RB I would spend this years high 1st rounder on defense, specifically d-line. I might use the 2nd first on a center (mike pouncy is Not as good as his brother) or tackle. Or an elephant type LB, (i haven't seen enough of Beal to have an opinion) but D Bowers is a possibilty.

Pick
1A D-Lineman
1B BAA at OLB, or Tackle position
2nd round, continued from needs un-fulfilled from first round best at position RB, C, WR, CB, etc.
3rd guard,
I just don't have the patience to type a lot, im not all that good at typing fast so i'll say its harder to find quality D-lineman or OLB/pass rusher so i would spend our first round picks on them.I would like to see BB not trade down much this year, there have been so many picks over the last two years that i'd like to see him go for top quality instead of drafting a high number of players that aren't great but have the potential to be.

Bowers look too big at the waist IMO. I think he'll have problems to cover TEs and backs. Just my opnion, I'd love to be wrong and see him have a great OLB career for the Patriots, of course.
About 1A going to the D-line, I also feel it's the better choice. In fact, I think everyone with a sane mind thinks it's a better choice. Dareus would rock, that's for sure, but I doubt he'll fall that far. In fact, who do you think of getting at 1A for the D-line? I mean, I agree with your list, but I don't see anyone worth taking at 1A.

I'm a very defense-first fan, but I don't see the value in this draft, at least not where Belichick will be picking. I wouldn't be sad if he traded down. Get depth, make your special teams special and get character guys who'll become a TEAM, and not the freaking Cowboys.
In a dream scenario, I can imagine Dareus falling to 1A and then Belichick trading up with 1B and 2A for a higher 1rst and the 15th pick of the 4th round and then Belichick getting Quinn, who also fell. Well, one can dream.

In fact, who do you think of getting at 1A for the D-line?

I mean, I agree with your list, but I don't see anyone worth taking at 1A.

Two words, my friend.

Nick.

Fairley.

Bowers is a better fit for a 4-3, like Taxed said, and I don't think he'll fall to 1A, sadly.
And I'm not a Michael Floyd fan at all. I only watched his tape from 2009, when he did the same play over and over again (and while he surely can run a streak, his route running looks poor, and it's impossible to say how much he knows of the game). I've heard that he's playing better this year, but I have to see it to become a believer.
Castonzo at 2A would be good, hope he falls that far.
Leshoure is a great back. I rank RB as my #1 need/want, but if Ingram isn't there at 1A I'd be very happy to get Leshoure at 2B. Even 2A. He'll rise up draft boards IMO. We could see him going in the first round, if the world is fair.
I like Powe too. In fact, I like any 330 pound DT who can move :singing:
I like Schilling, but there are other prospects I like better (like the ones I used in my mock, lol).
But good mock, thanks for sharing!

True, I forgot. I'll have to change that pick in my next attempt :bricks:

Bowers look too big at the waist IMO. I think he'll have problems to cover TEs and backs. Just my opnion, I'd love to be wrong and see him have a great OLB career for the Patriots, of course.
About 1A going to the D-line, I also feel it's the better choice. In fact, I think everyone with a sane mind thinks it's a better choice. Dareus would rock, that's for sure, but I doubt he'll fall that far. In fact, who do you think of getting at 1A for the D-line? I mean, I agree with your list, but I don't see anyone worth taking at 1A.

I'm a very defense-first fan, but I don't see the value in this draft, at least not where Belichick will be picking. I wouldn't be sad if he traded down. Get depth, make your special teams special and get character guys who'll become a TEAM, and not the freaking Cowboys.
In a dream scenario, I can imagine Dareus falling to 1A and then Belichick trading up with 1B and 2A for a higher 1rst and the 15th pick of the 4th round and then Belichick getting Quinn, who also fell. Well, one can dream.
I could definetly live with Dreus or better yet Fairly Auburn at 1A Bowers would be the 1B pick. I'm a defense guy myself.

Hence my new mock:

mark-ingram-alabama-football.jpg

heyward_585.jpg

Heyward plays bigger than his size against the run and, while his pass rush consists only of the bull rush, I bet Pepper Johnson can make him a better player. He also has the work ethic, leadership and character Belichick looks for in his players. I believe he was overhyped coming into the 2010 season, but that's actually good, since scouts will have analyzed his game under such scrutinizing microscope that he might fall to 32nd (what? You didn't know the Patriots will win the Super Bowl?).And, to be inquisitive again, how can a team run against a front with Heyward, Wilfork and Ty? That's tough.

Oklahoma+v+Miami+B-FqRIyjmU3l.jpg

PounceyMike_100101_3891_TCasey.jpg

2007122525.jpg

Ijalana_Ben1_NOVA.jpg

04. Derrell Koulianos, WR, Iowa

djk1.jpg

GilbertMarcus_091024_9826_TCasey.jpg

090610_DOGS.standalone.prod_affiliate.8.JPG

This player from a Belichick-friendly program has been great pressuring QBs this season, and at 6'2''/240 he's not that much smaller than most Patriots' OLBs (on the negative side, he's already very muscular and compact, so I guess he can't add more bulk). A leader with great instincts, non-stop motor and some tape where he just dominates OTs. Last year he played with a club protecting his hand, so he's tough. This is another pick I've had for so long that I'll be surprised when Belichick completely ignores him on draft day.

477527.jpg

NO less than 3 Front Wall Grizzlies in the first 3 Rounds!!

BEAUTIFULL!!

Oh, Nick Farley are two veeery good words. Still, he's been having such a monster year, such a Suh-like year, that I guess he might br a top 5 pick or so. I'm already seeing some mocks with him in the top 10, and the sky seems to be the limit for him. So, if Farley or Dareus are around at 1A, to me, it's a no-brainer... Just get them!

edit: hey, OTG, thx for the picks! Looking good, man :)

Last edited:
Oh, Nick Farley are two veeery good words. Still, he's been having such a monster year, such a Suh-like year, that I guess he might br a top 5 pick or so. I'm already seeing some mocks with him in the top 10, and the sky seems to be the limit for him. So, if Farley or Dareus are around at 1A, to me, it's a no-brainer... Just get them!

edit: hey, OTG, thx for the picks! Looking good, man :)

You're very welcome, my friend. And thank you, sir. :cool:

Here's some food for thought, mentioned previously, but I don't recall where:

Nick Fairley is ~ as expected by us fools that can't let go of this obsession!! ~ ROCKETING up the Draft Boards; to Top 5 as you say.

But I still believe that, at the end of the day ~ once he's become everybody's darling ~ further reflection will reverse his stock, and dramatically, for this reason: He has a WAFER thin resume.

In fact, I'd like to throw out that question, as mercurial as it is:

Does anybody know of any recent instance where a D Line Grizzly with such a WAFER thin resume went Top 10, much less Top 5??

Indeed, I'd love to hear from the lot of you ~ if you can be so persuaded ~ over where he is likely to go at the end of the day, as it's a subject that has considerably occupied my mind, of late.

My take ~ Off the Grid, as usual!! :D ~ is that the combination of a thin resume, the depth of the position, and the simple knee jerk FEAR of many GM's afraid to roll the dice on one year of work...will have, over the course of 4 long months since the season's end, a distinctly cooling effect.

Right now, many are praising him, and many are yet to discover him and REALLY drive his stock to a clamoring, frothing High.

Yet by April, I strongly suspect that a much more critical general consensus will cool his stock ~ which may very well peak at #1 in the nation ~ all the way back to the mid teens. :eek:

I hope you're right, OTG! I think, btw, that this case of being way too much under the microscope is what happened to Heyward, making his stock fall. He surely isn't a top 5 prospect as he was being hyped, but not a 1rst-to-2nd rounder like he's being evaluated right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3