PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Top 10 Super Bowl coaches in NFL History

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's one of the best up close pictures of Bill in the sweatshirt I have seen . . . could have been ranked a spot higher though :)

"Although he still has many years of coaching in front of him, Belichick already has established himself as one of the greatest."

luv it

BelichickFan said:
That's one of the best up close pictures of Bill in the sweatshirt I have seen . . . could have been ranked a spot higher though :)

One more SB win and he will be.

I am the only one who can't understand Hank Stram & Weeb Ewbanks being placed ahead of Tom Landry.

Doesn't make sense to me.

BelichickFan said:

If you gave that Steeler team, with the nine hall of famers they had to my high school football coach, he would have won the four super bowls. They had the Steel Curtain, one of the best 2 or 3 defenses of all time, and an offense with Bradshaw, Swann, Stallworth, Franco Harris, et al. If you use any kind of degree of difficulty, like in diving or whatever, Bill's the best.

folks still got sense in the great state o' texas

texpat said:
I am the only one who can't understand Hank Stram & Weeb Ewbanks being placed ahead of Tom Landry.

yeah, the noo yawk bias is in there. as for stram, he should be no. 10 if anywhere.
no tom landry
uuhhhh, maybe, DoN SHULA?
no bud grant?
"top" lists are doomed frrom the start, no matter if its' top 10, 25, 50. even Rolling Stone's top 500 songs had osme glaring omissions.

Fanfrom1960 said:
If you gave that Steeler team, with the nine hall of famers they had to my high school football coach, he would have won the four super bowls. They had the Steel Curtain, one of the best 2 or 3 defenses of all time, and an offense with Bradshaw, Swann, Stallworth, Franco Harris, et al. If you use any kind of degree of difficulty, like in diving or whatever, Bill's the best.
well yeh that's a lot of HOFs. lambert, dobra shenka, and mel blount are in there too.
but lombardi had about that many, so did shula.

ilduce06410 said:
well yeh that's a lot of HOFs. lambert, dobra shenka, and mel blount are in there too.
but lombardi had about that many, so did shula.

dobra shenka?

BelichickFan said:
I saw this yesterday and I agree...great picture. One more SB and he will be no. 1....I get why Noll placed ahead of him.

Bella*chick said:
I saw this yesterday and I agree...great picture. One more SB and he will be no. 1....I get why Noll placed ahead of him.
I do understand that, but placing Jimmy Johnson over Vince Lombardi I do NOT get.

PromisedLand said:
I do understand that, but placing Jimmy Johnson over Vince Lombardi I do NOT get.
Cripes, I barely noticed! Yeah, you are right....that is about a big a WTF as you can get.

I was also a little thrown that Shanahan made the list at all.

I don't think that any coach of any team that was before 1970 should be on that list. I don't think any Team that won a SB ,AFL or NFL championship before 1970 should count as a modern day SB winner.

The merger did not take place until 1970. That is when the modern NFL was born. Anything that happened prior to that should be separately ranked in that era of football.

Don't get me wrong there were great teams, great players, & great coaches prior to 1970, but they all belong in another era.

I think Jimmy Johnson in front of Lombardi and Bill Walsh is a crock.

Walsh redefined the game with the West Coast offense. And he beat teams in SB sometimes that he wasn't supposed to. For that I would maybe even bump him in front of Lombardi.

Lombardi; hell the name is on the trophy, nuff said there.

So Johnson collected talent in an era where free agency wasnt a big deal. What did he do for either the game as a whole or specifically in game planning for those 2 games he won? They were both against the Jills; the AFC pre-Manning choke artists.

Bill Belichick says Jimmy Johnson changed the way defense was played in college and when he came to the NFL by going to the quicker, smaller players. Jimmy Johnson did a lot for the game, ESPN just doesn't tell you to think that way like they do Walsh so you just spit back what's been told to you. Also, the 49ers were favorites in every one of their Super Bowls so saying they beat teams they shouldn't have beaten is more false information. Johnson may be ranked a little too high but lets not pretend like he had nothing to do with building one of the greatest teams ever.

And as far as saying that Chuck Noll had nothing to do with the Steelers 4 Super Bowl titles is just another reason why Boston fans are made fun of throughout the country. We just can't be objective. Let me ask you a question. How many Super Bowls did BB win before Mo Lewis knocked out Drew Bledsoe? See, there is an argument that can be made against every coach.

texpat said:

I'd put Landry ahead of Jimmy Johnson. It's amazing how some names have fallen from the collective psyche of Americans.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News