PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Tonight's Gameplan

Status
Not open for further replies.

Digger44

2nd Team Getting Their First Start
Reaction score
Pack the Box with an extra DB/LB and let Brad Johnson try to beat us. Their WR seem dinged (not sure with a bad injury report). Let Rodney beat the crap out then anyway. Taylor is solid. Take away the run, and we win.

"Pack the Box!" :eek: Sorry, I'm straight, but if you wanted to Pack the "box," I could see that as a reasonable football argument. :p

Digger44 said:
Pack the Box with an extra DB/LB and let Brad Johnson try to beat us. Their WR seem dinged (not sure with a bad injury report). Let Rodney beat the crap out then anyway. Taylor is solid. Take away the run, and we win.
I agree with you 100%.
Cherish this moment.. It might never happen again.

Do you think we'll run the 4-3 or 3-4 though?
I'm thinking the 4-3 but who the hell knows, probably both.

I really hope that Seymour can go, because this game seems tailor-made for the 4-3.

Oswlek said:
I really hope that Seymour can go, because this game seems tailor-made for the 4-3.
yah it really does....

It seems so perfect for it that i wouldn't be surprised if BB h ad them running a 3-4 ....:cool:

Digger44 said:

I'd like to see us do some blitzing and bring some pressure on the immoble Johnson.

Oswlek said:
this game seems tailor-made for the 4-3.
Why ? I think it's tailor made for the better run stopping 3-4. Tougher to run on, another good athlete to drop into the short passing lanes. Seymour, no Seymour, this looks like 3-4 all the way.

Forget the 4-3 Cali we played against Childress' Eagles, this is a different offense without a running QB and a more pure RB.

kurtinelson said:
I'd like to see us do some blitzing and bring some pressure on the immoble Johnson.
I'm kind of hoping for the opposite. Their OL is good and could neutralize a good blitz. The matchup I like best is our above average secondary vs. their average WR. Although that's a good matchup which may not need much help, I would take a good matchup and make it better by playing a lot of nickel without blitzing in passing situations. Take a good matchup and make it a great matchup.

Not too worried about their offensive ability.
Their defense is a bigger concern to me. The loss of Neal is also a concern.
I just hope Yates is up to it.
I had really thought Kaczur could eventually be a good guard.
He's had a few reps there but probably not enough.

If the Oline can keep Brady clean this offense should hum tonight.
I think it will. :)
Let's see if Vikes run D is really as good as some say.

BelichickFan said:
I'm kind of hoping for the opposite. Their OL is good and could neutralize a good blitz. The matchup I like best is our above average secondary vs. their average WR. Although that's a good matchup which may not need much help, I would take a good matchup and make it better by playing a lot of nickel without blitzing in passing situations. Take a good matchup and make it a great matchup.
I'd also like to see a little more physical style against the Vike's WRs. I don't think they've seen that as much - Chicago being the likely exception.

Chester Taylor will be the focus of the D - not only on the run. Johnson has thrown to him more than any of the receivers.

R

Speed Kills!

Got to get Maroney involved on that turf however possible. Split him out as a WR. Returning punts. Get the man as many touches as possible in addition to his normal RB carries.

Also let's see another end around to Jackson too or other running play.

Let's use our rookies speed to our advantage. Their D might be tough up front but you can't tackle what you can't catch.

BelichickFan said:

ESPN insider says that the Pats will try to stop the run with their front seven and that a match up to watch is Mike Vrabel against the Vike's ROT.

Curious, that is likely Minny's game plan for the patriots.

Digger44 said:

mgteich said:
Curious, that is likely Minny's game plan for the patriots.
I hope so :)

Sure it worked for Denver. That was a month ago. Jackson was inactive. Gabriel didn't play until the second half. We're getting incrementally better. It's a shame Graham is out but Thomas is a good receiving TE (who I'd like to see in the passing game more, btw).

Dare the passing game to win ? I'd much prefer to have Brady, Watson and our developing WR vs. Johnson (solid but no Brady), Wiggins, Taylor and Williamson.

I do like Williamson but his high game since Week 2 is 39 yards. If you call the WR a tie, which I think is reasonable with Marcus Robinson out, that leaves us with the better QB, better TE and, IMO, better RB when you consider that we have two really good ones.

I'm ready to get it on, the only things which I think can beat us tonight are -2 or worse in turnovers or getting dominated at the lines.

Last edited:
BelichickFan said:
Why ? I think it's tailor made for the better run stopping 3-4. Tougher to run on, another good athlete to drop into the short passing lanes. Seymour, no Seymour, this looks like 3-4 all the way.

Forget the 4-3 Cali we played against Childress' Eagles, this is a different offense without a running QB and a more pure RB.

I was thinking that, since I am not afraid of Minny's WRs that a LB could be replaced with a big fatty. The drop in coverage ability would not be as big a loss as the increase in beef. I realize that the Cali would not be the right thing to do, because that was with 5 LBs, which is the opposite direction of what I am looking at.

I will admit that the person who pointed out how Taylor is the leading receiver on the team has made me rethink that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft