Welcome to PatsFans.com

Tommy Kelly expected to be cut by the Raiduhs

Discussion in 'PatsFans.com - Patriots Fan Forum' started by PATRIOTSFANINPA, Mar 27, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PATRIOTSFANINPA

PATRIOTSFANINPA Rookie

Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

Raiders to release Tommy Kelly | ProFootballTalk

He kind of sucked last year with just one sack and 45 tackles but was coming off over 14 sacks in the previous 2 years.

At 33 he is the type of DL that Belichick might see as a fit on the front line
  2. Shockt327

Shockt327 Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

Wow, I didn't realize he fell off so bad. Was he injured?
  3. JackBauer

JackBauer Rookie

Ratings:
    +17 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

He was just lazy and mailed it in.
  4. patsfan-1982

patsfan-1982 Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

he is a good DT but he's sack numbers where that good because of seymour playing next to him seymour had a off year so he's numbers went way down,

i would love for the pats to take a look at him or seymour but i dont think they will sign at a price the pats want to pay for players there age
  5. DocHoliday

DocHoliday Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

Would be a good Gerard Warren type pickup... assuming he'd sign for that kind of money of course, which is doubtful.
  6. Marqui

Marqui Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

Even considering last year, he's much better than Gerrard Warren.
  7. Brady6

Brady6 Rookie

Ratings:
    +31 / 6 / -0

My Jersey:

#12 Jersey
    I would rather have Vaughn Martin I like youth. Any updates on him?
  8. JMC00

JMC00 Rookie

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

Can't they have both?

But Vaughn visited the Dolphins yesterday so expect them to probably overpay him.
  9. BradyFTW!

BradyFTW! PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

#12 Jersey
    If he can be had for cheap, definitely worth a flyer. I wouldn't necessarily read a ton into last year's stats - everyone on the Raiders' roster pretty much mailed it in.
  10. Deus Irae

Deus Irae PatsFans.com Retired Jersey Club PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +71 / 3 / -0

My Jersey:

Seymour's still the better player, so if you're someone who thinks Seymour can't play anymore, you're really going to hate Kelly.
  11. Claremonster

Claremonster Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

Kinda like Moss when he was there. The Raiders revised motto: A Commitment to Mediocrity.
  12. jsull87

jsull87 Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

When i have watched raiders games over the last few years it was always Kelly on the interior who flashed the most pass rush in my eyes (that could be because Seymour was double teamed).

But i think he is certainly an option as a interior rusher. I would like to see the medical tho to see why there was such a drop off in performance last year.
  13. Deus Irae

Ratings:
    +71 / 3 / -0

My Jersey:

14. Marqui

Marqui Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

Go get him, Bill.

The more I think about this, I'm going to be very disappointing if they don't sign him. He's a versatile veteran who would fill the biggest hole left on the defense, and should come at a value price. This is right in Belichick's wheelhouse. And the team has plenty of capspace left, so there's no reason Kelly shouldn't end up here.
  15. patfanken

patfanken Rookie

Ratings:
    +36 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

#91 Jersey
    I don't think there is any rush. Kelly is gong to be among a long list of vets, like Seymour, Carter, Freeney, etc. who don't have any desire to participate in OTA's or even a full TC. So I think there will still be decent pickings for these kinds of vets right into early August.

Funny we really haven't heard any Richard Seymour talk. Does he have anything left? Did he fully burn all his bridges here? If he can play, it would be a great story, the prodigal son and all that.
  16. supafly

supafly PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +32 / 1 / -0

My Jersey:

#24 Jersey
    I think that on a talent level, Seymour would still be a fine veteran addition as a rotational player on the DL, although who knows what his salary demands are these days after making top money lately.

On a personal level, obviously it'd take 2 sides to make that signing a possibility, and I don't think we'd even have 1 of those sides in agreement, let alone the needed 2 to make it work. I think that there is definietly bad blood with Seymour and Belichick--yes. We all remember Seymour's comments about there being "31 teams" that he'd consider playing for a few yrs ago. I wouldn't think too much has changed since then myself, but obviously anything can happen.

I've have a hard time seeing Belichick show much interest on this one, unless it were for a very reasonable deal--and even then he's probably stubborn/smart enough to move on to someone else. Somehow I just envision Seymour still having fantastical thoughts about his current worth.
  17. DW Toys

DW Toys Rookie

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

Dues, I agree with you Cousin. I wouldn't mind a couple years of Seymour, but doesn't he want like $7-8 million?
    If Kelly is cheap he is the interior line rusher we could seek. Is he finished? Who knows.
    DW Toys
  18. Kenneth Sims

Kenneth Sims Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

I'd do a back-flip into a hand-stand (like I could) if the Pats and Seymour let bygones be bygones and put the band back together again.
  19. Deus Irae

Ratings:
    +71 / 3 / -0

My Jersey:

I don't see Seymour returning to NE. Nothing's impossible, but "There's 31 teams...." seems to say a lot.
  20. DaBronxPats14

DaBronxPats14 Rookie

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

Doesn't hurt BB to have him in see what he has and look into his medical condition and of course price is right.
  21. Off The Grid

Off The Grid Rookie

Ratings:
    +7 / 1 / -0

My Jersey:

#3 Jersey
  22. Jimke

Jimke Rookie

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

I can see why Seymour dislikes the Patriots. Belichick waited until Seymour's
    kids were settled in school before trading him. Couldn't Seymour be forewarned about trade possibilities?
  23. Kenneth Sims

Kenneth Sims Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

Seymour said that 3 years ago. Lots of things get said at a point in time out of emotion. It doesn't mean he feels the same way today. Since then, he's made a ton of money and lost a lot of games in Oakland and watched his Pro-Bowl, possible HOF career get lost in oblivion. Seymour also came back to attend Myra Kraft's memorial in 2011 as I remember.
  24. Get it shawtaay

Get it shawtaay Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

25. borg

borg Rookie

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

A leopard never changes his spots. Seymour is all about maximizing dollars. Why on earth would you think he has changed. He could have bailed out of the black hole after 2010 but willing took the the giant contract and the losses that came with that decision. It will be interesting to see how much he values his legacy. These days, maximizing and winning don't go hand in hand.
    An interesting argument for this board some day: Which 2001-04 Patriots players have a shot at Canton....Brady, Law, and Seymour would have been my picks 8 years ago. The shine on Seymour doesn't seem so bright these days
  26. signbabybrady

signbabybrady Rookie

Ratings:
    +20 / 1 / -0

My Jersey:

#24 Jersey
    Brady, BB, Adam V, and Rodney are getting in. I would have said that about Seymour one day. But I will put him in the next category now which is they will be considered and could get in which I think includes Willie Mac, Bru, Seymour, and a few others.

Then I think there is a list of long shots but you never know which includes Light and Troy.

I agree Seymour is all about maximizing his dollars and if his having attended Myra's services was the begining of mending fences then maybe there is a small chance. IMO Seymour might get a few more dollars elsewhere but coming back here would set him up for a post career making good money as a New England hero. He can get some of this without coming back but if he came back and retired here it would increase those opportunities and if came back and had a resurgent few years he could really maximize his earning and put himself back in a lock for the Hall.

Given what we know now about the situation I would say this would be an extreme long shot but there is some logic for each side doing it. But when you consider the hurdles BB has to want him back, Seymour has to be willing to come back, Another team cant overpay him, BB has to think he still has enough left in the tank (given last season this might be the biggest hurdle), and whatever else I might be leaving out.
  27. Kenneth Sims

Kenneth Sims Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

Didn't the Raiders initially use their franchise tag or threaten to use it on Seymour after the 2010 season? That might have factored in his decision to re-up with them. Leopards don't change their spots, but human beings mature (hopefully) and change priorities sometimes.

You can even make an argument that if it's solely about the greenbacks, then returning to the Pats might be his best option. At his age, he's unlikely to get long-term, megabucks contracts going forward. Returning here would improve his legacy especially if the Pats should return to SB glory with his return. In football, legacy can be turned into serious dollars once your playing career is over. Just ask all those Pats alumni drawing handsome checks from their post-career media gigs.
  28. PatsWickedPissah

PatsWickedPissah PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +78 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

#37 Jersey
    Regarding big contract after big contract, "at a certain point you've made enough money"
  29. patman52

patman52 Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

I don't see Seymour ever coming back. Being punished from returning late from his father's funeral is enough to sour anyone. Then throw in the trade on the top of the cake.

I can't find the quote but I remember BB praising Kelly in a PC.

I would be very happy to see Kelly on the team in PR situations rotating with Deaderick. And as a previous poster noted a lot of these vets that have made big bucks said are going to want to skip the first 2 weeks of TC
  30. Claremonster

Claremonster Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

Maybe BB can bring in both Kelly and Seymour? I think this would create some depth on the dline!...
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.